All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Billy Corgan - No Money In Music Now
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

Question :

What do drummers use for birth control?

Answer :

Their personalities !

Strangly enough I can never get a rim shot to go with that joke !!!!!!!

Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Heh! That's why I have my own drum kit. It's a hell of a lot easier to get drummers to come over and play if they don't have to hump their gear.
Heh. That brought a totally inappropriate image to mind...
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
Heh. That brought a totally inappropriate image to mind...
Thanks for sharing that mental image...v

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E.
Heh! That's why I have my own drum kit. It's a hell of a lot easier to get drummers to come over and play if they don't have to hump their gear.
With the last band i was in (several years ago now), i held the drummers' kit hostage at my place. Practice sessions happened MUCH more frequently after that!
Old 9th June 2012
Quote:
Exactly. And has worse hours.
And Jack will feed you too! Can't beat that deal.
Old 9th June 2012
Gear Maniac

What do you call a musician without a girlfriend? Homeless! Not all musician jokes are about drummers! Peace..
Old 9th June 2012
Did you hear about the drummer who locked his keys in the car?

It took them two hours to get the singer out!
Old 9th June 2012
Gear Addict

I thought that that was bass player.
Old 10th June 2012
What's the difference between a rhythm guitarist and a guy sawing logs?

A pick.
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

What's got three legs and a twat on top? A drum stool.
Old 13th June 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Yes. If you want the latest greatest iMac.

I can get a Mac that's 2 years old for about $500 or less if I'm short of cash and look hard enough.
Umm... Have you shopped for a used iMac recently? Methinks you haven't. It still takes money to make music, my friend.
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiborg View Post
Umm... Have you shopped for a used iMac recently? Methinks you haven't. It still takes money to make music, my friend.
Yup. Macs keeps their value surprisingly well, unfortunately buying used won't do that much good. I don't think it is worth it personally.
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

I'm sure others have said this already but to be perfectly honest Billy Corgan isn't making music that is anywhere near as cutting edge or strong as he was in the 90s. Like a lot of people, I really admired his work then.

That said, I did like Zeitgeist.

If Billy wants to make money again, he'll have to make music millions want to listen to again first. Or he can just go on tour and play the old Pumpkins hits.
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by potslutz View Post
musicians that are following money are not musicians but bankers
i also want to add that rock star are existing from 100 years?
i could live with out rock stars easy ,i'm just saying
Show me a musician who isn't serious about their money situation and I'll show you a wannabe with zero career longevity.
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Part of the reason for the shortage of drummers may be that it's a rare breed of parent who will allow their kid to have a set of drums in the house....
Truth spoken.

And when some of the really good drummers choose to do something else, that dampens one's motivation to follow in their footsteps.
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
Show me a musician who isn't serious about their money situation and I'll show you a wannabe with zero career longevity.
Awesome!
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
that about sums it up
Old 25th June 2012
I had the radio on yesterday to hear Mr. Corgan's interview on NPR... I am assuming it had to be real, and it wasn't a comedian's satirical interpretation (if that's the case, please discount all that follows) but the guy comes off as possibly THE most self-important, ground-breaking, best-selling musician of the last several thousand years. Nowhere in his grandiose remarks was there the hint of a whiff of an understanding that perhaps his quirky style had hit the scene at precisely the right moment, and MAYBE this explains his subsequent evaporation from public consciousness? That was the hard part: squaring his incredible, monumental gifts with his current obscurity.

Total blowhard and bore. As I say... I am open to the possibility I was pwned.
Old 25th June 2012
'ol Billy-cob was interviewed by Piers Morgan last week on CNN. He didn't come off as a music biz whiner, he seemed to be all hyped up about new projects.

Maybe he missed his meds that day at NPR?
Old 25th June 2012
mixmixmix
As a human being Billy Corgan really needs and enjoys attention. He will say anything to get some. The value of his opinions? Who knows....
Old 25th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmixmix View Post
As a human being Billy Corgan really needs and enjoys attention. He will say anything to get some. The value of his opinions? Who knows....
That's exactly how he came off, sort of like P.T Barnum with a bald head.
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post

Total blowhard and bore. As I say... I am open to the possibility I was pwned.
as you were consuming media, chances are you probably were.
Old 26th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
... you probably were.
Well, whenever I hear them say "You're listening to All Things Considered," I pipe up: "I DOUBT THAT!"
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
That's exactly how he came off, sort of like P.T Barnum with a bald head.
LOL, aint' that showbiz? After you have some good product, I thought that was ultimately the point.
Old 26th June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Well, whenever I hear them say "You're listening to All Things Considered," I pipe up: "I DOUBT THAT!"
you should tweet them that realtime.
Old 26th June 2012
Gear Head

y'all ever listen to siamese dream? that **** is wonderful.
Old 26th June 2012
Gear Addict

I'm admittedly not a fan of the Pumpkins but I have to ask... Isn't his issue the same as many songwriters who have put out material over the past 15-20 years?

That being while their stuff may fit some trendsetters idea of what cool or edgy music is, try humming the damn thing. You can't..

So the song is ultimately forgotten over time. And this is why music supervisors are either looking for incredibly catchy new material from indie bands or they are going back to the classics.
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Addict

"Today" is quite hummable as is Bullet With Butterfly Wings. I only got into Smashing Pumpkins after they broke up, even now I only like a hand full of songs.
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

that "rat in a cage" song is fairly hummable... (even if lyrically the theme was a little tired, even back then...)
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Addict

That "Rat in a cage" song being Bullet with Butterfly Wings.
That song is damn tricky with the fast chord changes.
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

ok! i always wondered what that song was called... cheers.

(i guess that's a dead giveaway i'm not much of a fan, and never bought any of their records...)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search