The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Billy Corgan - No Money In Music Now
Old 15th March 2012
  #301
Lives for gear
 
donnylang's Avatar
 

all of these problems are just new opportunities to be creative. the opportunities are there, it's just up to us to figure out how to use them.

there are a lot of changes going on. but there have always been and always will be.

i would bet most of us, in another time and place, would have a similar outcome ultimately. it's never been easy. lots of kids grow up wanting to be musicians, recordists, etc. most of us don't make it through. at least now, we can sort of pretend we're bigger than we are with the internet.

i've never made much money in music, but i'm making more in the last few years than i ever did before. I have access to more equipment that would have been out of reach years ago ... the irony is it's all analog equipment, and the digital age has made it much more affordable for me.

and this is all because there are more opportunities for me now. i can only speak for myself. but i would venture to say many people here are in a similar position.

yes, i have seen some hard-luck stories ... engineers, techs, etc. out of work. it sucks. but time marches forward and humans are very adaptable.

but seriously, take control of your own fate. if you don't want people to steal from you, set up a way that makes it difficult for them to do so. be an artist that doesn't make recordings. make a statement. whatever. in my case, it came fairly easily. i don't download music on computer and i play vinyl at home. so i press vinyl. if someone wants it bad enough or seems cool or can't afford it, i will give them a free copy. but i won't give them a digital file because it doesn't resonate with me and my vision. if people want to rip the vinyl to mp3 and give it the world, so be it. if others find it, maybe they will come to my show or become interested in my deal and maybe even buy a record player so they can hear it on vinyl.

there are so many things we can do now, just think of them ...

this is a perfect era for innovators, and a terrible time for sheep.
Old 15th March 2012
  #302
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnylang View Post
all of these problems are just new opportunities to be creative. the opportunities are there, it's just up to us to figure out how to use them.

there are a lot of changes going on. but there have always been and always will be.

i would be most of us, in another time and place, would have a similar outcome ultimately. it's never been easy. lots of kids grow up wanting to be musicians, recordists, etc. most of us don't make it through. at least now, we can sort of pretend we're bigger than we are with the internet.

i've never made much money in music, but i'm making more in the last few years than i ever did before. I have access to more equipment that would have been out of reach years ago ... the irony is it's all analog equipment, and the digital age has made it much more affordable for me.

and this is all because there are more opportunities for me now. i can only speak for myself. but i would venture to say many people here are in a similar position.

yes, i have seen some hard-luck stories ... engineers, techs, etc. out of work. it sucks. but time marches forward and humans are very adaptable.

there are so many things we can do now, just think of them ...
Unfortunately, there are some in this thread that will not be able to see the artistry in this comment. Or read between the lines because they have not felt the same.

There ARE so many things we can do now. Many are thinking of them, and many have an issue with the fact that they cannot.
Old 15th March 2012
  #303
Lives for gear
 
tvsky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Thanks Shaw. Anyone else like to share what you can do besides music?
i do an excellent laksa

and

sometimes I can get all my finger joints to crack at the same time , its hardcore
Old 15th March 2012
  #304
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Thanks Shaw. Anyone else like to share what you can do besides music?
Sometimes inspiration takes over my body and I come out of it realizing that it actually happened.
Old 15th March 2012
  #305
Robert, first off I want to say thank you for your entry into honest debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
Rack gear I'm curious I and I don't mean this disrespectfully but how much do you know about the record biz? see the reason I ask is because even in the golden days of LP/CD/8track/Cassettes you had to sell millions to make any money off pure record sales. the average artist got 0.2 per unit until they sold over 250,000 and then youd get 0.3 then you'd sell over a million and you'd get .5 of course this depended on your advance. But back in the day like maybe 5% of the bands signed to labels made any money soley on record sales.
Robert, I've been the business for 25 years and that's just factually not true. There's no those kind of numbers are possible unless you selective decide what money the artist was actually given in advances (advance royalties) promotion, marketing, etc. All of that is real money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
If you got lots of airplay you would make some change but you had to be in constant rotation. Not many bands made much on pure record sales. As long as radio stations and elevator companies are paying BMI and ascap every month the average artist is still making the same proportionally that they would have made in the 70s or 80s or whenever. Then you got the musicians who only get performance royalties and in some cases that was a flat rate
I'm not sure I understand the above in all sincerity. Radio Airplay doesn't "just happen" it costs millions in promotion cost to get a record played, it's a very expensive process. If you don't think it is, prove me wrong and go get a song played. The PRO money paid adds up on Hits... and the mainstream record business is modeled on the revenue generated by hits, but hits are expensive to make... and yet, it is the songwriters and publishers (not the label) who benefit from that PRO money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
This whole argument and chart statistical thing is distorted and it is not reality.
I'm sorry but it's absolutely reality. I've lived it for 25 years... I've worked in record stores, been in bands, released stuff on indies, worked at the majors, run indie labels... I've lived through it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
I know guys that had top 10 hits in the mid 80s and they were landscapers and carpenters by the late 80s, they are landscapers and carpenters still.
I also know a bunch guys who had hits in the mid 80s early 90s who blew all their money and now live in North Hollywood. Who's fault is that? Most of the people I know who have ended up in North Hollywood lived like they'd have hits for ever. Some of them made millions and went through it as fast as they earned it. I know other guys who ended up living on sofa's waiting for royalty checks so they could get their fix - sad, true, and of their own making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
You obviously don't know any real run of the mill artists, you need multiple gold records and/or some out of the norm touring and merch regime to have made huge money in any decade.
Sure, to make HUGE money. But I ran an indie label where artists where full time without being mainstream cover of rolling stone rock stars because they were smart with their money. In a lot of ways the indie artists did better because they were more realistic about money. The major label cats always seemed to think the party would never end. I know guys who got smart before it was too late. Blew their "big deal" money and while they still have A&R contacts formed a band, recorded and album, and banked as much as they could having learned the hard way on their previous deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
Your perspective is not reality. It is not the norm to be a rich rock star.
it's never the norm to be the rich rock star, which is why I'm so passionate about artists rights. the way to have more non-rock stars making a living is to empower the artist with protection of copyright and information. the internet should be creating MORE opportunities for professional artists, but instead it has created LESS, and of the professional opportunities that exist, those people are making less.

My A&R guy was signed to two major labels over 6 years. He did not have a day job over those six years. He was a professionally signed major label artist, twice. The first record was released and the band was dropped. The second record on the second label was never released, and the band opted out of their deal. But, he was well cared for in both of those deals WITHOUT being a rock star. He got his shot. Money was spent. Investments were made. It didn't work out. That's how it goes... but he got the opportunity... there are LESS of those opportunities today than in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
The percentage of signed bands that make millions like you think is not 100% and even then, half of them get taken by lawyers label execs and poor dishonest management.
About 10% make it to the top. The percentages vary but over time, the best labels hit about 1 in 10 over a sustained average. That means 90% of the people signed are paid without ever recouping their advances or earning a profit. As for lawyers and dishonest management, we all know horror stories, but we also know success stories. It can't be all one sided, it's a two way street.

Labels offer artists contracts, accounting, investment, promotion, marketing and an real opportunity to take a shot at being a star... IF the artist wants that opportunity... no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to sign a record contract. AND, that contract can be disputed...

There is NO investment, advances, promotion, marketing, etc from Pirates. Nothing, Nadda, Zero, Zippo, Zilche... Web 2.0 is not much better aka The Man 2.0 aka Loser Generated Content... Artist need to wake up and embrace the power they are given in copyright and exert their rights for ethical fair pay... across the board... Empowered Artists would not need to make 360 Deals... that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
you brought up Lief garret and the bay city rollers, they were both mega HUGE in the 70s and garret was also successful actor. And neither of them have had a dime since the early 80s.
but that's not because they weren't paid well. lief was/is a well documented train wreck drug addict who squandered everything he was given at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
And that was 20 years before the mp3 ruined the biz like you falsely believe
The facts are in the numbers. I'm not sure what you disputing. The record business in the USA between 1999 and 2009 was reduced by over 50% that's a fact. That reduction is the direct result of the product becoming available for free, illegally on P2P networks and grows with the adoption of broadband. That's a fact too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
stop this nonsense
there is no nonsense, and we were doing so well... being that you asked me, let me ask you, what is your experience in the record business? here's mine...

Piracy Is Personal - Tell Your Story Here
Old 15th March 2012
  #306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Actually, thinking about it for a second more.

I'm enjoying watching you beat a rotted horse.
why do you hate artists so much?

why do you believe they should not be fairly compensated for their labor?

you haven't answered...
Old 15th March 2012
  #307
Lives for gear
 

About to answer the above....
Old 15th March 2012
  #308
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
It's this sort of thing that makes arguing, debating, or discussing anything with you a complete waste of time, as well as utterly annoying...
only because you've run out of valid arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Do you understand why? You must...
yes, because you've run out of valid arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Why do you support labels thieving from artists and why do you strangle puppies and support Hitler?
I support that any wrong doing should be subject to justice.

Why do you believe artists should surrender their fundamental rights in copyright and not be compensated fairly for their work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Seriously? I'm pretty sure they're watching for amusement like some stupid reality TV show...
or they are learning from reading the forum... there seems to be a lot of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
If one lurker steps forward...just 1 (and it can't be you in a wig and a dress)...and says they think you are of use to them and think you are doing a bang up job here, I will immediately stop posting here and get back to doing more important things!!

Lurkers...be heard!
Well... there's a reason why they are lurkers... but it's happened before... so I guess we'll see...
Old 15th March 2012
  #309
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
We should not forget that we come from an extraordinairy yet extremely short period (1930-2000) in history where some people were able to run a business model selling audio based material on physical media. It was also a period where music played an extremely important role in the lives of people. Both of these conditions have changed (no more physical media, other forms of entertainment).

If you look back in history you will find countless examples of people who were forced to adapt to situations because their business model was not sustainable anymore. On the whole as a music industry (including selling software, instruments) we are still watching an exceptional period in history and on that level I dare say the industry flourishes like it never did before.
Old 15th March 2012
  #310
Lives for gear
 
brightshine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Most have un-paid for protected music sitting on their iPods and hard drives that they play most every week. What name do we give this type of song collecting: owning? stealing? borrowing? unimportant so therefore irrelevant? You're "no interest in OWNING" sentence is very interesting, could you explain a bit more?




I know that I am a very latecomer in here. I recognize many of your names and know that you're going at it in here day in day out about piracy and the new economics of the music business. My opinions are common and I have very little new to add.

I have to most strongly disagree with many of the most prominent positions in here:

-2012, most people still love music and listening to their favorite songs. Millions of westerners are still obsessed with their music like the kids in the 70's, just not at many it seems, percentage-wise. (due to the arguable overall drop in pop music song quality and as as many point out in here, certainly the multitudes of competing distractions.)

-therefore, it can be deducted that music is central to millions if not billions of people's lives...the human race suddenly doesn't just become detached from music overnight.

-therefore it you can say that music still has great value to millions if not billions.

-therefore you can say that if you couldn't get music so easily for free in the shadows of your own home and if is was as hard to mass share as it was in '93, you would have NO CHOICE but to BUY music if it wasn't for the internet if you want to play the music "at will."

-the ease of piracy and "sharing" in the privacy of your own home is ABSOLUTELY the central reason the masses don't buy music anymore.
You nailed it! Stop the "stealing" and I bet the rest will take care of itself. Everyone might not like the "business" side of the music industry and a lot here like to critique it to no end, but some made money in it. You can argue till the sun comes up about what is fair, either to the record company or the musician. Everyone wants their fair share of the pie. Depends on who is cutting the pie and if you agree to the slice you get.

Seems that everywhere in life today, people want fairness. From their point of view. Always will be someone higher on the pay scale and someone lower. Come to grips with that and life will go on a little more smoothly. Or, keep looking at someone elses paycheck and you will be miserable. This debate has no end. Take all the discourse on this thread and apply it to any business. Same problem. Ah......except most busineses don't put one product on the store shelf, sell one item, and then find everyone in town has a clone of what they just sold. Until the stealing stops.........good luck
Old 15th March 2012
  #311
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
Why do you believe artists should surrender their fundamental rights in copyright and not be compensated fairly for their work?
Why do you beat your wife?

Quote:
Well... there's a reason why they are lurkers... but it's happened before... so I guess we'll see...
Certainly one will speak up to support you, especially after all you've done for them...
Old 15th March 2012
  #312
Lives for gear
 
tvsky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Three facepalms but you didn't answer my question.
neither did you . what are you referring to by no future

judgement day - rise of the machines?



skynet will use p2p filesharing to infiltrate the worlds computer networks you know
Old 15th March 2012
  #313
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
We should not forget that we come from an extraordinairy yet extremely short period (1930-2000) in history where some people were able to run a business model selling audio based material on physical media. It was also a period where music played an extremely important role in the lives of people. Both of these conditions have changed (no more physical media, other forms of entertainment).

If you look back in history you will find countless examples of people who were forced to adapt to situations because their business model was not sustainable anymore. On the whole as a music industry (including selling software, instruments) we are still watching an exceptional period in history and on that level I dare say the industry flourishes like it never did before.
so why would you want to take a step backwards? what else do you want to give up? Cars? Air Travel? Medical Advances? Why are creative arts the only thing that should be moving backwards 100 years?

why shouldn't artists be compensated ethically and fairly in the best distribution system ever devised? it's record labels screwing artists, it's consumers and big tech? why is ok for consumers and tech to steal from artists, but labels who invested in artists careers are evil? it's a bit of lopsided argument, don't you think?

David Lowery says artists are worse off than ever before | That Eric Alper
Old 15th March 2012
  #314
Lives for gear
 
tvsky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Why do you beat your wife?
quoted for prosperity
Old 15th March 2012
  #315
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
why do you hate artists so much?
I don't hate songwriters at all. I make a living off them. I want them to prosper so I show them how to use DAWs and then I show them how to make videos.

I take their raw data and make it look and sound professional so they can more forward.

I also help them realize the immense resources they now have, and also that they have to step up to that plate to be current.

To many it's overwhelming.

To many it's a relief to find someone that cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
why do you believe they should not be fairly compensated for their labor?
Because the playing field has changed.

The machine does not support them any longer. I held the keys to a few massive studios, and in the 90's I had a lot of "friends" that wanted in.

I catered to the local crowd that were not chasing the labels (that scene was starting to come up).

Now, those people have grown and realize there is more to just chasing radio play and labels, and some of them have done better because they did not get sucked up into that slime pit. They sell their music for full profit. Many others have found additional avenues to "exploit" their talent.

Repeat business has never been better. I also encourage more avenues to my clients. Even some that would seem to lose me money, like teaching them how to record better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
you haven't answered...
If you can't figure the rest out, idle hands are the devils workshop.
Old 15th March 2012
  #316
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine View Post
You nailed it! Stop the "stealing" and I bet the rest will take care of itself. )
excellent point.
Old 15th March 2012
  #317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Why do you beat your wife?
now there's a lost argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
quoted for prosperity
and the mods...
Old 15th March 2012
  #318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
I don't hate songwriters at all. I make a living off them. I want them to prosper so I show them how to use DAWs and then I show them how to make videos.

I take their raw data and make it look and sound professional so the can more forward.

I also help them realize the immense resources they now have, and also that they have to step up to that plate to be current.

To many it's overwhelming.

To many it's a relief to find someone that cares.
great, so why wouldn't you support them being compensated fairly? I'm advocating for the artist, what are you advocating for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Because the playing field has changed.
the only thing that has changed is piracy. what else has changed that artists should not be compensated fairly, please be specific. again, I'm adovcating for artists rights, I'm not sure who or what you are advocating for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
The machine does not support them any longer. I held the keys to a few massive studios, and in the 90's I had a lot of "friends" that wanted in.
what machine does not support who any longer? the disruption to recording to recording studios is a different disruption than piracy, but the disruption in piracy has also effected recording studios.

gear and studios don't make albums, people make albums. the studios that remain are the ones that offer the greater amenities for the recording experience. they are also the ones that allow skilled professionals to work efficiently.

but the fate of recording studios is a bit off topic, again, I'm wondering what has changed that artists should not be compensated fairly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
I catered to the local crowd that were not chasing the labels (that scene was starting to come up).
that's awesome, but while not chasing labels are they also chasing professional careers? are they having professional self sustaining careers from making music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Now, those people have grown and realize there is more to just chasing radio play and labels, and some of them have done better because they did not get sucked up into that slime pit.
that's great, I'm pro-choice and pro-artist. I don't see how anyone benefits from piracy other than the pirates (and google). why wouldn't these artists want their rights protected so that they have the support to work independently and professionally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
hey sell their music for full profit. Many others have found additional avenues to "exploit" their talent.
like what? just curious? artists are often multi-disciplined, like brian eno for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Repeat business has never been better. I also encourage more avenues to my clients.
atlanta is a hotbed right?

I hope that's true, but statistically they would be the exception and by a long shot.

I'd like to see who these artists are that you say are doing so well and sustaining professional careers making music. I have a feeling, that may be a bit subject...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Even some that would seem to lose me money, like teaching them how to record better...
I think it's smart to empower artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
If you can't figure the rest out, idle hands is the devils workshop.
I'm not sure I understand that last comment in response to my post, but overall it appears we're on the same page if you support artists rights and copyright as the fundamental foundation of artist empowerment.

Everyone benefits or everyone loses on Artist Rights Issues, it's a symbiotic relationship. Some artists will chose to to be DIY and Indie, and I support that. Some will choose to sign with labels to swing big at a chance to be to truly be big. In either case, artists rights benefit both.

I can't see a scenario where anyone hoping to have a professional creative career would be opposed to the protection of copyright and the ethical fair trade for artist labor in the digital age, do you?
Old 15th March 2012
  #319
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
No future = no talent.

I agree with this (although a little extreme). I don't think the industry attracts the best and brightest anymore...

People made a decent living touring clubs decades ago (clubs are places where people went to watch live music, smoke cigarettes, and drink alcohol)

Musicians could play 7 nights a week if they wanted, and they got very, very good if they did. After their shows they jammed at a speakeasy. The cream of THAT crop were the ones invited into studios to back singers, who also toured 200+ days a year. They made great records.

Kids bought records, adults bought records.

It seems to me many of the successful artists these days come from families with money, or have some financial advantage. Not that any will admit that though.

The modern economy just isn't a breeding ground for original and high-end talent. An artist needs an outside advantage of sorts.

The value just isn't there anymore for most people. Western society scoffs at you if you say you are a musician. I'll bet my in-laws were just thrilled to find out their daughter was marrying an (ulp) musician. We are simply not valued.

I have a 15 year old at home. Loves music, never bought a CD in his life. He just streams it. At 15 I had maybe 60 records.
Old 15th March 2012
  #320
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
like what? just curious? artists are often multi-disciplined, like brian eno for example.
This shows us the type of artists you generally work for.

Having a discussion with a shortsighted mind is futile.

Brian Eno? Welcome to the 80s....

How about artist that founded CD Baby or Mindspring.

You know Thomas Dolby invented polyphonic ringtones....

Blinded me with Science and all that stuff. Must have been overwhelming.

They did just reveal the iPad 3, though it wasn't much of a hoopla compared to the iPad 2.

Simpleton things that are common these days.

I met a 6 year old that knew how to work Final Cut.

Welcome to the new world. It's been happening since ape became man...
Old 15th March 2012
  #321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
This shows us the type of artists you generally work for.
how would you know, red tuxedo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Brian Eno? Welcome to the 80s....
LOL... You can list any artists you like, what, afraid it will be welcome to nowhere?
Old 15th March 2012
  #322
Lives for gear
it's funny reading through this......

let's say hypothetically the decline in record sales is 100% due to youtube and illegal downloads, torrent etc...

But yet almost every other post here includes commentary like "remember back in the day the clubs were packed you could make a living , you owned a studio you could make a living you owned a music production company you could make a living blah blah blah"

so what has changed? so people steal music, ok it's wrong but it should not in any way impact the clubs, stadium tours, arenas back yard parties or recording studios or anything else but pure record sales. Radio still exists, touring still exists, t shirts ,bumper stickers, kiss dolls, Beatles cards, carnival mirrors with band logos, coffee cups and all that nonsense...yet everything is taking a hit in the industry.

You guys are flat out wrong if you think mp3 is the reason for all this. It is simply not the case. No way , it is not a trickle down affect that would include merchandise and touring and radio royalties muzac royalties etc..... Every huge band I saw in the 70s and 80s I paid $6.00 to see. I saw Black Sabbath and Van halen for $5.00!!!! in 1978, I saw Metallica for $7.00 at a club in 83. I saw the moving pictures tour front row for $6.00!!!, this is all bull. Concert tickets are 120.00 now!!! Inflation has not multiplied by 25 since the 80s. A loaf of bread is $1.50 today it was $50 cents in the 80s.

there is something else going on besides youtube, music is BAD today that's why. Tour attendance must be down or something else, maybe radio stations aren't paying ascap every month?? I dunno?? but it has to be more than mp3 sales. It would in no way affect touring. If it affects touring that would mean labels are pinching into the touring money and they would have no right to do that unless they were taking part of the advance which is understandable, but at the same time with today's technology you can make a record 10 times faster than you could in 1990 and studio rates have gone down. Plus labels simply are not advancing like they did in the 70 80 .
and you do not pay to get airplay. Radios stations play what they play because the listeners dictate it now. Classic radio plays all the same crap, the top 40 stations play what people want to hear. If they were only playing based on payola then mp3 sales wouldn't matter since the money the stations pay up for publishing would still get to the artist. Unless of course the artists doesn't write their own stuff, in that case they are not an artist are they?

someone please make some sense?
Old 15th March 2012
  #323
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
how would you know, red tuxedo?



LOL... You can list any artists you like, what, afraid it will be welcome to nowhere?
Yes, that must have hurt.

Artists that I like? Ones that get Grammy Nominations and succeed making music in this day and age. Doing world tours helps with that as well.

You?
Old 15th March 2012
  #324
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
music is BAD today
again robert, with all due respect, here's the 100 albums, they're all bad? they ALL suck? Really?

Apple - iTunes - Browse the top album downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
someone please make some sense?
trying man, trying...
Old 15th March 2012
  #325
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
again robert, with all due respect, here's the 100 albums, they're all bad? they ALL suck? Really?

Apple - iTunes - Browse the top album downloads
I agree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
trying man, trying...
... but it's not working.
Old 15th March 2012
  #326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Yes, that must have hurt.
only when I laugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Artists that I like?
Like I said, their yours, list um...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Ones that get Grammy Nominations and succeed making music in this day and age. Doing world tours helps with that as well.
sure, list um... all your non-label signed Grammy Nominated World Touring Artists... list um... red tux... I'm sure there's a credit listing somewhere on line... waiting...
Old 15th March 2012
  #327
Lives for gear
 
tvsky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post
I agree with this (although a little extreme). I don't think the industry attracts the best and brightest anymore...
I just dont get this

if your a natural born signer , your going to sing no matter if you sing in a choir , a club , a cover band .

just because your chances of becoming a rich popular music star are much less isnt going to stop you singing
Old 15th March 2012
  #328
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
only when I laugh...
Then you've got some health problems that need to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
Like I said, their yours, list um...
I wish I could. Not my place to. We didn't win. But I will tell you "Best Contemporary Gospel Album and Best Contemporary Gospel song".

Since you're so into other peoples business, I'll let you figure out the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
sure, list um... all your non-label signed Grammy Nominated World Touring Artists... list um... red tux... I'm sure there's a credit listing somewhere on line... waiting...
Did I say non-label?

Since you know who we are, why don't you list it?

Now, what are you up to?
Old 15th March 2012
  #329
Lives for gear
 

Other than bitching?
Old 15th March 2012
  #330
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
I just dont get this

if your a natural born signer , your going to sing no matter if you sing in a choir , a club , a cover band .

just because your chances of becoming a rich popular music star are much less isnt going to stop you singing
I did answer you before, but I'll answer you again.
Not many people are just a singer. Most artistic people have a broad talent.
My comment 'no future' was in response to someone else's post. No, I don't think there is no future at all, but as I said before, if you show an artistic person the possibility of a decent living making music for video games, or working in music therapy for their local government, then show them little chance of ever enjoying a decent livelihood in music performance (live and recording), many will choose the decent livelihood option. And many talented people will be lost from popular music.
Because people want to start a family, want to provide for their family. If the music scene largely stops providing (as it has provided in the past), the brightest talent will migrate elsewhere.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump