The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Billy Corgan - No Money In Music Now
Old 15th March 2012
  #271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
We do. but the "system" doesn't allow us to be.
what system? piracy?
Old 15th March 2012
  #272
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
why don't you support artists rights for fair compensation? why do you believe that artist are not entitled to be paid?
I only think lawyers,mangers and label execs should be paid like in the old days. I'm old skoooool
Old 15th March 2012
  #273
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
or you could just actually respond with substance to the thoughtful replies I wrote to your posts...

here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7656350-post138.html

and here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7656382-post139.html
Are you getting a nickel a post?

Quote:
it appears you are the one not interested in a real debate.
A "real" debate with you...would accomplish what exactly...???
Old 15th March 2012
  #274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
What's next? You losing your job to someone that gets it.
never.

why don't you think artists should be fairly compensated and be able to have professional careers? do you think all creatives should be part timers? why would you not support artists rights for fair compensation?

I'm pro-choice. I aggressively support DIY and indies. I'd like nothing more for a generation of artists to have the opportunity to support themselves from their creative works, why are you opposed to that?
Old 15th March 2012
  #275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Are you getting a nickel a post?
are you? ...but I did see your mod deleted posts, good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
A "real" debate with you...would accomplish what exactly...???
respond with substance to the thoughtful replies I wrote to your posts and find out... if my replies to you are bull**** (below) you should have no problem forming a solid argument to each point.

here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7656350-post138.html

and here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7656382-post139.html
Old 15th March 2012
  #276
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
That guy is getting old now.
I think that is "Rack Gear"...
Old 15th March 2012
  #277
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
never.

why don't you think artists should be fairly compensated and be able to have professional careers? do you think all creatives should be part timers? why would you not support artists rights for fair compensation?

I'm pro-choice. I aggressively support DIY and indies. I'd like nothing more for a generation of artists to have the opportunity to support themselves from their creative works, why are you opposed to that?
Did I say I was opposed to that? Actually, I support it. But I also say that I can do more on my laptop than many can with racks of gear.

And so can many others with a laptop.

working on the big rack does not interest many when they can get rid or their rack gear and be creative.
Old 15th March 2012
  #278
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I think that is "Rack Gear"...
why are you so angry at professional artists and those who aspire to be?
Old 15th March 2012
  #279
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
why are you so angry at professional artists and those who aspire to be?
Why do you not understand that the system has changed?
Old 15th March 2012
  #280
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
respond with substance to the thoughtful replies I wrote to your posts and find out... if my replies to you are bull**** (below) you should have no problem forming a solid argument to each point.

here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7656350-post138.html

and here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7656382-post139.html
Seriously, what is the point?
Old 15th March 2012
  #281
Lives for gear
 

Welcome to a new world where people can steal your money faster than they can take your creative ideas....
Old 15th March 2012
  #282
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
professional artists
is that the same as creative thief
Old 15th March 2012
  #283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Why do you not understand that the system has changed?
changed to what? changed to not compensating artists fairly for their work? why would you support that system? why do you believe artists should not be compensated for their work?

why would you support a system that does not compensate creators fairly?

and, if you think little guys are going to make a living at the expense of big guys, you are dreaming... the average tunecore artist is making $277 annually, you think labels are threatened by that?

keep in mind, the more you dis-empower artists, the worse it gets for ALL artists... label 360 deals did not begin until AFTER rampant piracy took the bottom out of the record sales...

why on earth would you support less options for creatives to make a living?
Old 15th March 2012
  #284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Seriously, what is the point?
seriously, you don't have an argument... that's the point, if you did you would be able to debate it, but you can't, so you troll the forum and have your posts deleted by the mods, keep up the good work!

you didn't have time for my "BS" but you have plenty of time for trolling...
Old 15th March 2012
  #285
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
why are you so angry at professional artists and those who aspire to be?


I'm not angry at anyone...

Why are you so angry at any member of this very very small forum who disagrees with you?

What good does that do you?

I'm seriously over this whole thing now, I don't really care about you or your opinion(s) on these issues...

I am amazed at your ability to argue here about the same thing over and over and over and over..(that goes for chrisso and whoever those 1 or 2 other guys were or are)...

I realize that anything I say here is essentially meaningless...especially to you guys...it's clear you have your point of view and your way of being and there's nothing that anyone could possibly say that will change that...

you're not looking for an exchange of ideas, you believe what you believe, and you are looking for an argument...and that seems to be it....

Right?

what exactly do you hope to achieve here...????
Old 15th March 2012
  #286
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
why are you so angry at professional artists and those who aspire to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
changed to what? changed to not compensating artists fairly for their work? why would you support that system? why do you believe artists should not be compensated for their work?

why would you support a system that does not compensate creators fairly?

and, if you think little guys are going to make a living at the expense of big guys, you are dreaming... the average tunecore artist is making $277 annually, you think labels are threatened by that?

keep in mind, the more you dis-empower artists, the worse it gets for ALL artists... label 360 deals did not begin until AFTER rampant piracy took the bottom out of the record sales...

why on earth would you support less options for creatives to make a living?
Wow!! What world do you live in?

360 deals?

$277 a year?

Come "steal" my music.


PLEASE
Old 15th March 2012
  #287
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
seriously, you don't have an argument... that's the point, if you did you would be able to debate it, but you can't, so you troll the forum and have your posts deleted by the mods, keep up the good work!

you didn't have time for my "BS" but you have plenty of time for trolling...
deleted by the mods...what are you talking about?

Regarding your posts...I agree with some things and I could "argue" about others...but if I did all that would do would get me caught up in this useless never ending game...

What is the point....seriously...?
Old 15th March 2012
  #288
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
seriously
Rack gear I'm curious I and I don't mean this disrespectfully but how much do you know about the record biz? see the reason I ask is because even in the golden days of LP/CD/8track/Cassettes you had to sell millions to make any money off pure record sales. the average artist got 0.2 per unit until they sold over 250,000 and then youd get 0.3 then you'd sell over a million and you'd get .5 of course this depended on your advance. But back in the day like maybe 5% of the bands signed to labels made any money soley on record sales. If you got lots of airplay you would make some change but you had to be in constant rotation. Not many bands made much on pure record sales. As long as radio stations and elevator companies are paying BMI and ascap every month the average artist is still making the same proportionally that they would have made in the 70s or 80s or whenever. Then you got the musicians who only get performance royalties and in some cases that was a flat rate

This whole argument and chart statistical thing is distorted and it is not reality. I know guys that had top 10 hits in the mid 80s and they were landscapers and carpenters by the late 80s, they are landscapers and carpenters still. You obviously don't know any real run of the mill artists, you need multiple gold records and/or some out of the norm touring and merch regime to have made huge money in any decade.
Your perspective is not reality. It is not the norm to be a rich rock star. The percentage of signed bands that make millions like you think is not 100% and even then, half of them get taken by lawyers label execs and poor dishonest management.

you brought up Lief garret and the bay city rollers, they were both mega HUGE in the 70s and garret was also successful actor. And neither of them have had a dime since the early 80s. And that was 20 years before the mp3 ruined the biz like you falsely believe

stop this nonsense
Old 15th March 2012
  #289
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
that you know of
Sigh.... I may have been in more of these debates than you've had weeks on earth, given how many of them I have been in. I'm pretty well aware of what has been reported by researchers on this topic, as compared to you who I'm sure has never looked at it at all. If you can find such a study, then show it so us. Otherwise, accept that downloads track with popularity. It's a pretty well established fact at this point.

Quote:
gimme a break, it's garbage the only reason it is as popular as it is is because people can see it for free in the first place, don't you people get it?
Well, in terms of sales, she is one of the big sellers by today's standards. If you corrected for piracy, she'd probably be very big. Even in this climate apparently she's sold over 20M albums. That's not big by old world standards for a top artist, but these days most labels would probably kill for more like her. And I guess if you convert her singles to album equivalents that would equate to another 6M albums or some such.

She's not my cup of tea either, but I'm not stupid enough to think that just because I don't like her that teenage girls don't either.

And I don't care much for Thriller either myself, but you are smoking dope if you think that people didn't like that music purely for the music.
Old 15th March 2012
  #290
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
And I don't care much for Thriller either myself, but you are smoking dope if you think that people didn't like that music purely for the music.
no MTV had nothing to do with its crossover success. Neither did EVH
Old 15th March 2012
  #291
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
no MTV had nothing to do with its crossover success. Neither did EVH
Irrelevant to whether or not people liked the actual music for its own sake. You only have to look at the comments whenever the topic comes up around here.
Old 15th March 2012
  #292
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post


I'm not angry at anyone...
could have fooled me... you spend a lot of time posting nonsense then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Why are you so angry at any member of this very very small forum who disagrees with you?
I don't agree that artists should have their work stolen without compensation. There are lot of people who seem to support the notion of theft from artists as a right, I'm not sure why you would support that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
What good does that do you?
I'd ask you the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I'm seriously over this whole thing now, I don't really care about you or your opinion(s) on these issues...
I know, you've admitted to trolling and I believe you, it's also obvious in your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I am amazed at your ability to argue here about the same thing over and over and over and over..(that goes for chrisso and whoever those 1 or 2 other guys were or are)...
there are lot of lurkers who fear to post here that appreciate getting the information... the same arguments get the same responses no matter how many people post the same old talking points, they will be met with the same responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I realize that anything I say here is essentially meaningless...especially to you guys...it's clear you have your point of view and your way of being and there's nothing that anyone could possibly say that will change that...
that's what a debate is, people with different perspectives expressing themselves. I don't know why the devaluation of labor by creatives should be acceptable. in the end, what has happened to the record business is a labor issue. when people can not support themselves because their labor is being stolen, that is a labor issue.

read this, report back:
Artist Rights are Human Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
you're not looking for an exchange of ideas, you believe what you believe, and you are looking for an argument...and that seems to be it....

Right?

what exactly do you hope to achieve here...????
conciseness raising and it's working. scoll to the bottom of this page right now and look at how many lurkers there are versus posters... (as of this writing, lurkers out number posters by about 4:1)

it was in these forums that the issues about spotify's payment system was first discussed, two years or more ago... long before the mainstream reporting on how F'd it was... I am encouraged that many of the things first discussed here, make their way in the comments and responses on sites like digitalmusicnews, hypebot, and others...

slowly, artists are learning that Web 2.0 has been a lie, that they are not empowered and that The Man 2.0 is much worse than the old man... these things take time, but you can see it trending...

what exactly do you hope to achieve here?
Old 15th March 2012
  #293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Wow!! What world do you live in?

360 deals?

$277 a year?

Come "steal" my music.


PLEASE
what are you talking about? puhleez...
Old 15th March 2012
  #294
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Irrelevant to whether or not people liked the actual music for its own sake. You only have to look at the comments whenever the topic comes up around here.
Great point. How much could someone make that video for now a days? Much less than back then I would suspect.

Other than the talent.

But what's happening now is that talented people don't need the machine behind them to make a product. So they do it themselves...

There has just been a full movies release created with....

an iphone....

And they're getting recognition.

Why don't people get up early to watch the sunrise?
Old 15th March 2012
  #295
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
what are you talking about? puhleez...
Yep. Not surprised.

Lurkers? Posters?

Really... what world do you live in? Gearslutzworld?

US population... 311,591,917

I'll let your mind fathom that for a while before the real numbers sink in.


How about grasping this concept....

People want to give their music away.

I know, it's going to be hard for you to swallow, but just a little dirty water will help.

Then take it from there.
Old 15th March 2012
  #296
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
deleted by the mods...what are you talking about?

Regarding your posts...I agree with some things and I could "argue" about others...but if I did all that would do would get me caught up in this useless never ending game...

What is the point....seriously...?
uh, you might want to look at this... yes, deleted posts, by the mods, in this thread... sorry to break it to you...

Old 15th March 2012
  #297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Yep. Not surprised.
makes two us, I can see you have abandoned debate for non sequiturs...
Old 15th March 2012
  #298
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
makes two us, I can see you have abandoned debate for non sequiturs...
I'll let you work out the details from here. One less conformist to deal with.
Old 15th March 2012
  #299
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
There are lot of people who seem to support the notion of theft from artists as a right, I'm not sure why you would support that?
It's this sort of thing that makes arguing, debating, or discussing anything with you a complete waste of time, as well as utterly annoying...

Do you understand why? You must...

Why do you support labels thieving from artists and why do you strangle puppies and support Hitler?

Quote:
there are lot of lurkers who fear to post here that appreciate getting the information...

conciseness raising and it's working. scoll to the bottom of this page right now and look at how many lurkers there are versus posters... (as of this writing, lurkers out number posters by about 4:1)
Seriously? I'm pretty sure they're watching for amusement like some stupid reality TV show...

If one lurker steps forward...just 1 (and it can't be you in a wig and a dress)...and says they think you are of use to them and think you are doing a bang up job here, I will immediately stop posting here and get back to doing more important things!!

Lurkers...be heard!
Old 15th March 2012
  #300
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
makes two us, I can see you have abandoned debate for non sequiturs...
Actually, thinking about it for a second more.

I'm enjoying watching you beat a rotted horse.
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump