The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Anyone Here Familiar with Mysparkcopyright?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Is Anyone Here Familiar with Mysparkcopyright?

Copyright songs, books and more with MySpark online copyright registration

Just looking into them and was wondering if anyone had any experience and how official or legit is it?

I've copyrighted with .gov but just curious if anyone has used this service and is it $85 per work?! anyways just post your thoughts..
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could compare what they add on top of the standard US Copyright office fees:

U.S. Copyright Office - Fees

I.e. additional $50 for legal consultation and using their web forms versus doing this yourself.

If you want the most cost effective way to copyright stuff, burn a CD with a compilation of all your songs and send it to the US Library of Congress.

I've yet to do this, don't think it's that important and necessary unless we are dealing with top-tier label that will invest 1 million or more into a release.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why pay someone $85 which you can do yourself for $35?
The LOC has an online (yes, it's more convoluted than the mail-in, but it's cheaper) registration for $35

Library of Congress Copyright website:
U.S. Copyright Office

eCo (Electronic Copyright Office)
U.S. Copyright Office - Online Services (eCO: Electronic Copyright Office)

Either way (whether you mail in, or do it online) there are 'sample' forms that show you exactly what to fill in where. Easy-peasy!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Why pay someone $85 which you can do yourself for $35?
The LOC has an online (yes, it's more convoluted than the mail-in, but it's cheaper) registration for $35

Library of Congress Copyright website:
U.S. Copyright Office

eCo (Electronic Copyright Office)
U.S. Copyright Office - Online Services (eCO: Electronic Copyright Office)

Either way (whether you mail in, or do it online) there are 'sample' forms that show you exactly what to fill in where. Easy-peasy!
Exactly that's what I found the most bizzare lol
Old 30th November 2011
Gear Nut

old post but when you guys come back tell me if the poor mans copyright way is still ok, my buddies here mail themselves their tunes on a cd, using a sealed stamped envelope which they plan to use as evidence one day if they had to with the date on the envelope.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStudios View Post
old post but when you guys come back tell me if the poor mans copyright way is still ok, my buddies here mail themselves their tunes on a cd, using a sealed stamped envelope which they plan to use as evidence one day if they had to with the date on the envelope.
This has NEVER been 'ok'. (ie, it will not, nor never has stood up in court)

From the copyright office:
Quote:
I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search