The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cue Sheet / PRS dilemma...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cue Sheet / PRS dilemma...

So a film I scored 3 years ago is about to have a worldwide distrobution TV deal.

All the music in the film (sometimes tracks are used a few times) is mine, I don't have a publishing deal. I recieved a fee to do the music and I also sell the soundtrack on iTunes etc.

I've just signed up with PRS and need to send off a form.

The film makers have asked me to do a cue sheet. Obviously I have no tune codes for the tracks right now.

Would I do the cue sheet or would the film makers just give them the names of the tracks and the timecodes? What is the likely hood of being able to back date these payments once I have the tune codes? PRS said I would amend the cue sheet once I have them. I always thought if it's submitted, it's submitted.

Any things I should be wary of or need to do?
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

I'm not really familiar with PRS, but maybe I can help. If there isn't a music supervisor on the project, then you need to do the cue sheet yourself, otherwise you won't see any money. your composer deal usually stipulates that the production owns the publishing of your music, but if that isn't clearly stated, then you might be able to keep publishing. On the cue sheet, as long as the title of the film is correct and the writer and publisher info matches how you registered the songs with PRS then everyone should figure it out. It may take years to see any money, so update the cue sheet as soon as you get the tune codes. Def look up a sample cue sheet so you know what you're supposed to do.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you don't already, have a stipulation in your contract that states that you get a copy of the Cue.
More often than not, the supervisor is "late" in turning in the sheet (if it get's turned in at all), and it's not a bad idea to follow up yourself to make sure they (PRO) have it. After all, it's your income that is at stake!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search