The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CD Packaging?
Old 3rd January 2011
CD Packaging?

Traditional jewel cases? Slim jewels? Jackets? Digipaks?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

We propose these to the bands

Buy apr cd / dvd card sleeve master bag (pack of 50) - disc sleeves & wallets - *cardboard sleeve with thumb cut - UK buy online from www.aprmedia.co.uk media shop - APR Media Ltd

One color text thermal print on the cd (band name and tracks)
A stamp on the cd sleeve (you can put a sticker if you dont like stamps-last photo but it will be more expensive)

They look like this

Of course they look diy (byt maybe that the difference from the rest) and the cost is about 0.5 eyros per cd

Pros
1. Cheap to make and you can start from small quantities
2. You can give them as freebies (3 songs in the cd, like a promo single) to the audience as an exchange of their email address
3. You can start printing them on you own if you dont want to place a big order to a factory.

Cons
1. They dont look professional, but again it is free so nobody is going to complain

Selling cds (either as an independent or a signed band) is difficult and if someone is lucky to sell all of them in the long term is not going to make a lot of money because

1. You spend a lot in the begging to save money in a bulk order of 1000 cds for example

2. You need to send some for promos (lets say at least 200)

3. The amount of people you reach is limited due to limited cds

Nikolas
Attached Thumbnails
CD Packaging?-photo-56.jpg   CD Packaging?-photo-57.jpg   CD Packaging?-photo-58.jpg   CD Packaging?-photo-59.jpg   CD Packaging?-photo-60.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakabrah2 View Post
Anyone know whats a good way to go these days? Traditional jewel cases? Slim jewels? Jackets? Digipaks? Going to marketing promos and users too.
You can get jewel cases/trays and/or slimline cases (along with anything and everything else related to audio reproduction) from these exceptionally wonderful cats:

Tapes.com, Blank Media, DVD, CD, Blu Ray and More!

and then if you've got Photoshop, a printer, and a cutting board you can make your own tray cards and booklets/insert cards and have a product indistinguishable from a "commercially packaged" CD.

Hit me with a mailing addy in a PM, I'll show you what I mean.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I don't understand why anyone would do their own when Kunaki exists... kunaki.com.
Old 3rd January 2011
That is amazing... do they take your artwork like Oasis and Discmakers? And use Taiyo Yuden CD-R's?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
I don't understand why anyone would do their own when Kunaki exists... kunaki.com.
cost per unit
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
That is amazing... do they take your artwork like Oasis and Discmakers? And use Taiyo Yuden CD-R's?
No idea what kind of CDRs they provide, but I've done quite a few things using their technology and all work fine years afterwards...

Yes, your own design, AND they will put a barcode on it too, free IIRC.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id Ridden View Post
cost per unit
Does it cost less to do it yourself in smaller runs? Yes, replication still costs less, but how can doing it yourself on a printer and CDRs in your studio cost less?
Old 3rd January 2011
I'd agree with that, I do small custom runs and the $2.50/per (with the shipping) they quote is pretty damn cheap!

Although having a bar code on a grand total of 4 CDs... more novelty than necessary, probably....
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
Does it cost less to do it yourself in smaller runs? Yes, replication still costs less, but how can doing it yourself on a printer and CDRs in your studio cost less?
It depends on a few factors. Replicating obviously the best, and if not the quality definitely outweighs savings, but then your usually in at a min of 1000. For Duplication of 100 i've found the numbers to be better on the DIY, at least $1 and that's being frivolous with the DIY jobbie, AND i wasn't ecstatic about the quality of the dupe. For the site you linked, at least for me, the shipping absolutely kills it. For any other i've found there's always something that brings it in at a higher cost - usually the shipping sometimes a set -up fee, and then the product is usually mediocre to the point that the savings per unit outweighs any quality comparisons and discrepancies or rather the little bit better quality you MIGHT get does not outweigh the savings of doing it yourself, which you can do on demand... IF you are a smaller artist, the old bespoke personal touch probably carries a bit of value in itself.

It also probably depends on what you are putting into your cost per unit, i don't put the printer in as that is more of a business asset and used for other things, however the cost of ink per print does go in and so on...

of course if you don't plan on moving through 50+ DIY units at some point then it is probably smarter to do it your way, but then you probably should question what you are doing to begin with...
Old 4th January 2011
Gonna look good
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakabrah2 View Post
... still love the jewel case CD ...
Me too, 'cause when you put it on a shelf, you can still see who and what it is. Anything else "vanishes."
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search