The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is this the new business model?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Is this the new business model?

Hello Downloader

What do you think?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't know what to think. I don't understand how he isn't getting paid from iTunes for the "massive" amount of sales he has.
Old 22nd December 2010
it looks like it might be the new model for him... for everyone else... probably not.
Old 22nd December 2010
Looks like someone desperate for a buck in the new 'paradigm'.

Join the queue.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
I don't know what to think. I don't understand how he isn't getting paid from iTunes for the "massive" amount of sales he has.
I guess the message is if you have a choice of buying it from the label for 10 dollars, from amazon for 10 dollars, or from itunes from 10 dollars, the artists are better off if you buy it from the label directly.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
I guess the message is if you have a choice of buying it from the label for 10 dollars, from amazon for 10 dollars, or from itunes from 10 dollars, the artists are better off if you buy it from the label directly.
Sure, but he should have gotten around $7 for every "album" he sold on iTunes and since he sold a massive amount he should be buying drinks instead of bitching.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Bah

This is a model of nothing. It is merely a symptom of one musician's frustration with the LACK of a business model.

The point of ITunes or whatever centralized site is so that people can FIND your dinky little unknown ass and buy your product. Even established bands have trouble driving traffic to their sites. If a few really dedicated fans are willing (and able) to find your official band site and download from there and you get to keep a higher percentage, that is what we would call 'gravy'.

The actual turkey, stuffing and potatoes will come from the centralized commercial download sites, record labels etc. or not at all. All too often, the slightest hassle = no sale. You might as well ask the fans to mail away for the CD.

Many software companies offer the download on their official site, but most still depend on retailers for the bulk of their sales. They can't undercut the price, because that would alienate their retailers, and customers don't really care about your margins.

One more point: asking people to "donate" is essentially panhandling.

You can make a lot more money putting on some rags and going to the train station and panhandling in person.
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
It is merely a symptom of one musician's frustration with the LACK of a business model.

asking people to "donate" is essentially panhandling.
That would be my take on this. thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

"Brother, can you par-a-digm?"
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
That would be my take on this. thumbsup
Yes, hardly a 'business model'. More of a virtual begging bowl.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search