The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting sued good for publicity? Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Getting sued good for publicity?

So, I produce beats, rap, and market my own music. I was listening to some old Kanye tracks and decided to start doing some sampling and I'm really liking the beats I've came up with.

Now the interesting question.

Should I use these in my next album and sell it? How bad will the repercussions be?

The theory one of my promoters has is, "At worst they sue you, you have to take the song down, and give them the money you made from it, and you get a ton of widespread publicity. Which will be great for the sale of the next cd"

Do we think this is possible? or are there going to be more extensive repercussions?

"Flowetic"
www.listn.to/flowetic
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

It would absolutely be good for publicity. The problem would be making enough noise with the track that anyone would care and that is a tough thing to do. I would almost say that if you could get enough attention for a track to get Sony to sue you, you wouldn't need to get sued to get publicity.
Old 19th December 2010
Is it really big news any more that people copy other people's work without permission?
1) I don't think you'll get any publicity.
2) Just seems like a dumb approach to making good music to me.
Old 19th December 2010

Publicity? It'll hardly make the lowest denominator of a local blog site. You may also have to pay any associated costs AND you may get the sample completely refused. Also - I-tunes etc may in turn have a go - you sign an indemnity about complete ownership.

In 1995 - profile sampling may well have netted you and interesting promotional angle. In 2010/11 - ? Waste of time for several reasons:
1. no one will notice unless you have a hit
2. when they do notice you'll be liable for costs,
3. nobody cares about "underground sampling". It's not sensational.

How hard your sampled "client" goes is anybody's guess. tip : dont sample the Bee Gees.
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
tip : dont sample the Bee Gees.
Funny.. I don't sample much, but I do have one song that is primarily live instruments/playing, then switches into a separate section a few times in the course of the song that is an Andy Gibb sample... wonder what my future holds when I try to go big with it? lol
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Publicity? It'll hardly make the lowest denominator of a local blog site. You may also have to pay any associated costs AND you may get the sample completely refused. Also - I-tunes etc may in turn have a go - you sign an indemnity about complete ownership.

In 1995 - profile sampling may well have netted you and interesting promotional angle. In 2010/11 - ? Waste of time for several reasons:
1. no one will notice unless you have a hit
2. when they do notice you'll be liable for costs,
3. nobody cares about "underground sampling". It's not sensational.

How hard your sampled "client" goes is anybody's guess. tip : dont sample the Bee Gees.
Ya that is what I was thinking. My boy's thinking it would be this HUGE deal. But I didn't think it would either. Granted he would send stories in to everyone and everything he could. I just enjoy making music that makes people feel good. Whether it blows up or not is not important, I just don't wanna get screwed over financially for making people feel good.

Now another interesting idea about sampling. Hip hop music is known (to a certain extent) for sampling. So would a hip hop label sue if you sampled their hip hop track? For example I forget what song, but a Jay-z track is just a sample of dre's drums (sped up) from another song. Now is that litigate-able? and do you think it would be acted upon?

I just think sampling in general is an interesting area. Look at some of these dub step artists who sample all this third-world music... they dont have copyright in third world countries, so they can't sue (or don't have the financial means to) is this ok morally or something that should looked at? there be an organization protecting them? I feel like there is a very blurred line. Any thoughts anyone?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I doubt that it would even get any publicity. You'd probably get a C&D (cease and desist) order from their lawyers and then you'll be busy with your lawyers to settle it.

Any tries to publicize it would probably only be at a local level such as "Local Ann Arbor resident sued by ____" and probably way back on page 20 too....
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazanz View Post
Now another interesting idea about sampling. Hip hop music is known (to a certain extent) for sampling. So would a hip hop label sue if you sampled their hip hop track? For example I forget what song, but a Jay-z track is just a sample of dre's drums (sped up) from another song. Now is that litigate-able? and do you think it would be acted upon?
No. You will get sued. This **** isn't owned/operated by hip hop heads "doin it for the love, yo"

Here's a little anecdote to back that up..

Dilated People's break through track was Worst Comes To Worst, off their second album. Produced by Alchemist, they had direct connection to Mobb Deep (Prodigy's voice was scratched for the hook). They said "Ya, it's cool, go on use it.. no stress, no dough"

Dilated took like that it was worth something, and released the song. The got raped by the label and had to clear the sample -- cause Hav & P don't really have the say as to whether or not anyone can use it lol.
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search