The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Artists: Labels need YOU --- NOT the other way around Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_A View Post
If all you care about in life is drugs, pussy, and seeing your face on the cover of magazines -- which, in my experience, are the overwhelming reasons most guys want to be in bands -- and your alternative is working at some dead-end job, then it should be no surprise that you'd be lining up to swim through sewers to sign that piece of paper.

If it's true that in practice bands don't have to pay back the advance, then that's icing on the cake. Most guys under 30 won't give a rat's ass if the music industry is exploiting them as long as they're getting enough money to keep their noses powdered and enough publicity to keep the groupies coming backstage. Sad but true.
That's a mega cliche view of the band scene. Actually about 99% of the rockers I've worked with care most about the music..... the rest is icing on the cake at best.
But even if your view was true, I can tell you it soon changes once you've played in Dortmund four times in a year, and you also realise the very hard work that's involved in being in a band, rehearsing, recording, making videos.
Actually Bob's reply to you absolutely nailed it.
Old 19th February 2011
I can think of a failure, It's from the local Toronto band Evans Blue. They had 1 big hit single, then it went to ****, their singer left, drummer left. I think they're still a band but they have a massive amount of $$ to recoup. They're on Hollywood Records. Anyone able to shine some light on that one? I've heard things through the grapevine... Apparently some members left due to too much ego, but what do I know?!?
Old 19th February 2011
Motown legend

A lot of bands have broken up once they realized how much work was actually going to be required of them them in order to become successful.
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Nut

With downloads seemingly here to stay, is it more lucrative to stay independent and take 20% off the likes of Tunecore or CD Wow? Is there any advantages to had any more signing to a label? Just throw that out there.....
Old 20th February 2011
It depends on your music....
More financial clout, a bigger marketing machine, an office full of knowledgeable staff to draw on, a network of important connections (producers, DJ's, celebrities, television producers etc) can really make the difference if that's the kind of thing your project needs.
If your music is left of centre, or you don't react well to collaboration, or you already have a huge profile (like Bowie, Reznor, Moby etc) then you might consider staying independent a better way forward.
Old 18th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I don't think any of us who have worked for a successful label would disagree with this.

Like I said above every artist is selling access to their audience. No label can get an artist an audience. Money can help an artist reach more listeners but the artist needs to know exactly where it should be spent.

Andrew Loog Oldham told me in 1971 "if the labels aren't coming to you, you haven't done your homework." I've seen nothing that suggests this is not the case. I have seen a few rip-off artists sign a band to a friend of theirs at a label, split the advance with them and then bury the band. The only bands I've ever seen make any money were the ones who the labels went to.
i know this was back 20 years ago, but Trent Reznor sent out some demos he recorded in Cleveland and I think every label came back to try and make a deal with him. Can't remember where I read that...iTunes bio?
Old 18th March 2011
Motown legend

I wouldn't believe most of what I read because publicists tend to add drama to every story.
Old 19th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_A View Post
It occurred to me while reading Albini's article that even if every word he wrote in it was incontrovertibly correct and every band was forced to read it before considering a major label deal, most rock bands would still sign with a major.

To most of the guys in rock bands, sitting on a tour bus is vastly preferable to working at a corner store. If all you care about in life is drugs, pussy, and seeing your face on the cover of magazines -- which, in my experience, are the overwhelming reasons most guys want to be in bands -- and your alternative is working at some dead-end job, then it should be no surprise that you'd be lining up to swim through sewers to sign that piece of paper.

If it's true that in practice bands don't have to pay back the advance, then that's icing on the cake. Most guys under 30 won't give a rat's ass if the music industry is exploiting them as long as they're getting enough money to keep their noses powdered and enough publicity to keep the groupies coming backstage. Sad but true.

But all this is of historical interest only, since as was already mentioned, the mainstream music industry is kicking the bucket. You know it's in trouble when it starts repressing vinyl.
A tour bus? What percentage of touring bands use a tour bus? (it's pretty small) This drugs, pussy and magazines lifestyle that you say most rockers are pursuing is basically nonexistent. Any band that is out in search of this will quickly realize that they are going to be sitting in vans, sleeping on floors and eating ramen noodles for 6 weeks because they're broke as ****. Sure it may get better over time, but without the realization that doing this is a lot harder than working a corner store a touring musician is going to fail.

This reality actually weeds out a lot of the bands that don't want to do the work...and to me, that's ok.
Old 19th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I wouldn't believe most of what I read because publicists tend to add drama to every story.
yesyes, too true.
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindable View Post
A tour bus? What percentage of touring bands use a tour bus? (it's pretty small) This drugs, pussy and magazines lifestyle that you say most rockers are pursuing is basically nonexistent. Any band that is out in search of this will quickly realize that they are going to be sitting in vans, sleeping on floors and eating ramen noodles for 6 weeks because they're broke as ****. Sure it may get better over time, but without the realization that doing this is a lot harder than working a corner store a touring musician is going to fail.

This reality actually weeds out a lot of the bands that don't want to do the work...and to me, that's ok.
I would confirm this as true..I know an artist on Atlantic Records..him and his band (guys I have played on the same bill with) just did a major arena tour with Kid Rock..shocked to see them all packed in an extended van with trailer.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search