The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is it illegal to cover songs and give them away?
Old 23rd August 2011
Here for the gear

Simple answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
Is it illegal to cover a song and then give your version away for free, online or on cd or however? Do you still need to obtain a license to distribute a cover if you do not make money from it?
You have to obtain a compulsory license and pay royalties for each copy that you sell, give away, allow as download, etc. It is easy and inexpensive to get a cover song compulsory license/ and royalties on most songs are less than 10 cents per copy.

I tell exactly how to do this on this blog post:
Sue Basko, Lawyer for Music and Film: Cover Songs: Performing and Recording Them Legally

and on this one:
Sue Basko, Lawyer for Music and Film: Limelight: Cover Song Licenses
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
Illegal is the wrong word. How many of you guys have played covers? How many sought permission and paid the royalty to do so? I know I have never met a person that has done any of that and I know a lot of people that covers.
PLAYING covers (in a band) and RECORDING covers (for public distribution) are two entirely different matters.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Basko View Post
You have to obtain a compulsory license and pay royalties for each copy that you sell, give away, allow as download, etc. It is easy and inexpensive to get a cover song compulsory license/ and royalties on most songs are less than 10 cents per copy.

I tell exactly how to do this on this blog post:
Sue Basko, Lawyer for Music and Film: Cover Songs: Performing and Recording Them Legally

and on this one:
Sue Basko, Lawyer for Music and Film: Limelight: Cover Song Licenses
Great links/posts, thank you
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search