The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The music industry bailout is here: Obama Sides with RIAA, MPAA; Backs ACTA Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
There is a very important point in all this that is being missed by BOTH sides of this argument.

Look at the collectivist nature of the language being used here:
"We're going to aggressively protect our intellectual property" and "It is essential to our prosperity..."
...It is as if he is saying that "In addition to the problem of the slaves ripping off the plantation's crops, we are also tired of OTHER plantations stealing the proceeds from OUR plantation! (Which in this case basically amounts to a co-op, collectively owned by its slaves.)

Of course BMI, ASCAP, RIAA, etc. are ALSO collectives, incorporated and regulated by GovCo. (Essentially, they are subsidiaries of the plantation.)

What is being missed here is that in this day and age, collective licensing of intellectual property is totally unnecessary; today, here is absolutely NO REASON for creative people to go through a "middle man" to sell and/or license their art!

Moreover, I feel that governments and corporations are defensively trying to stir **** up and create turmoil over false choices in a desperate attempt to sidetrack people from the realization that they can make their OWN DAMN DEALS, without even involving these dinosaur organizations!

They are deliberately trying to confuse people in a desperate attempt at self-preservation. So in a way, it really IS an attempt at a bailout (...just not in the way we usually think of it).

(Just my $0.02.)
I think you are grossly misinformed or confused, or both.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
'Some' being the operative word.

Again, it's a rolling back of income and work conditions creative people have fought long and hard to achieve.
Now we are looking for charitable donations to earn a living?
'For debates sake' being the perspective heh

It was a reaction on a previous post. Of course it doesn't mean everybody should live on donations! But at least it is something to consider if you look for alternative ways to generate additional, alternative income.
Old 18th March 2010
Motown legend

Quote:
2) Where the hell can I actually read the text of the proposed legislation?
You are wasting everybody's time if you don't know.
Old 18th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
Jim - I'm confused, are you for or against the protection and enforcements of copyrights so that artist can be paid for their labor? Are you a musician?
I don't really have a dog in this fight. One thing I do know, no matter how it turns out there will be only one winner, the trial lawyers.

Litigation is a much larger industry than music will ever be. The country runs on it.

Got 33.3%?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
I think you are grossly misinformed or confused, or both.
Are you always this mean and bitter?
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
1) I have NOT Googled this subject.

2) Where the hell can I actually read the text of the proposed legislation?
I linked to the text and other relevant material above https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5215042-post66.html
Old 20th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
Are you always this mean and bitter?
neither. just an observation, not a judgment.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search