The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Where should a singer/songwriter move?
Old 5th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivouac View Post

It's just not a place to develop a music act from scratch.
I disagree with that statement. Seen it done a million times.
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
I was there for a week met up with industry people who told ME there was no live scene in Nashville.
So you get all your information second hand. Got it.

Quote:
Lots of farmboys living out of the trunks of their cars trying to get record deals.
Like I said, not true. Not even close. Like AT ALL. Farmboys? Insulting. People from ALL over the world come to live in Nashville. It's a melting pot. There are people from Europe, California, and ... wait for it... NEW YORK coming there to do music.

Quote:
Even if its gotten HOT as a live scene by its own standards its a joke compared to NYC, comon.
It's BEEN hot as a live scene for a while, and it's all the better for not being up to NYC "standards."
Old 5th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2bonoman View Post
So you get all your information second hand. Got it. "
I said I was THERE . What part of that do you not understand??? lol cool you think Nashville is a "melting pot" compared to NYC ??? alrighty then LMAO. Whatever floats your boat. Ye ha. There are more gigs for COUNTRY bands in NYC than Nashville. It's just a one horse town that's all.
Old 5th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Where are those million artists now, James?

heh heh heh
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Fine.

And how many people have you seen it ruin? From the singer/songwriter, who couldn't spend any time on his music because he's too busy working two jobs to pay his $1300/month rent, to the band that signed a record deal and racked up tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt waiting two years for an album to come out that will eventually have an underfunded marketing budget and sell a measly 1500 copies? LA-specific failure is 10,000 times more common than any success directly resulting of living there.

At least in New York, there's a healthy underground music scene, in which an artist could gain a reputation as a performer, and do it the right way. Los Angeles is wrought with with spoiled, disinterested kids, more concerned with themselves or who they "know" than engaging themselves within a local art community. And I'm not making these claims out of ignorance either: I've lived there (briefly...ugh), and have known plenty of deserving people that gave their best shot.

Oddly enough, I knew two bands out there that relocated from St. Louis. Both signed to major labels (Warner/Maverick) and were absolutely ripped apart after one record and were no better off than where they started (if not quite a bit worse, actually). One, even had a Top 10 single for a little bit.

Lesson is I've accomplished more playing music in my middle American city than was even remotely possible in California, and I have dozens and dozens of peers that will tell you the same. Now the mooks come out HERE, and throw contracts around like it's nothing. Played ping pong with some guys the other day that released a record on Atlantic this past summer, had beers with some friends who just signed to the same label last month. Used to party with these two idiots in college that made silly hip hop songs on their laptop; now they're all over the radio with multiple hit singles. And I could go on for quite a bit. None of these guys ever even had to SMELL Los Angeles either. They did really well out here and it was never even an issue.

Hell, the hottest songwriter in the music industry right now just moved BACK here after residing in LA for a number of years. What does that tell you?
Old 5th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivouac View Post
At least in New York, there's a healthy underground music scene, in which an artist could gain a reputation as a performer, and do it the right way.
here here
Old 5th February 2010
I agree with Jame's initial post - insightful and accurate - I especially agree with the over saturated part - that's not going to change, and if you not in LA that's not gonna change, except you won't be where the action is to compete with those people...

when I need someone now, I need them here and now.
Old 5th February 2010
Quote:
I have lived everywhere in the LA area and my fav is Sherman Oaks, just a personal preference. I love the Valley, it suits me, a person would have to find the place that suits them. Some people will only live on the west side, they love that lifestyle others it's west Hollywood.
there's also a scene happening (for a while now) in silver lake, echo park area which extends east towards highland park & eagle rock.

going the other direction is atwater, glendale and burbank (but more post oriented than music) .

there's a new studio/practice complex in echopark that's pretty cool - this is one of several studios in the building:
Home

Directions
Bedrock Studios on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I said I was THERE . What part of that do you not understand??? lol cool you think Nashville is a "melting pot" compared to NYC ??? alrighty then LMAO. Whatever floats your boat. Ye ha. There are more gigs for COUNTRY bands in NYC than Nashville. It's just a one horse town that's all.

You said that you met up with industry people who TOLD you there was no live scene in Nashville. What part of that do you not understand??? It's cool that you think NYC is a good place to get discovere.. alright then LMAO. Whatever floats your boat. You betcha.

The more you speak about Nashville, the more absurd you become. One horse town? You not knowest thou of what your pinheadedness thus speaks.
Old 5th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You said that you met up with industry people who TOLD you there was no live scene in Nashville. What part of that do you not understand??? It's cool that you think NYC is a good place to get discovere.. alright then LMAO. Whatever floats your boat. You betcha.

The more you speak about Nashville, the more absurd you become. One horse town? You not knowest thou of what your pinheadedness thus speaks.
I WAS THERE man are you posting from a MENTAL INSTITUTION ??? I SAW there was no live scene and yes the industry guy WHOS LIVED THERE ALL HIS FRIGGIN LIFE COMFIRMED IT ok ? CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU ??? now go take some extra meds its NAP TIME LOL
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I WAS THERE man are you posting from a MENTAL INSTITUTION ??? I SAW there was no live scene and yes the industry guy WHOS LIVED THERE ALL HIS FRIGGIN LIFE COMFIRMED IT ok ? CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU ??? now go take some extra meds its NAP TIME LOL
I'm beginning to think you are something us "farmboys living out of the trunks of our cars" call a liar. Nashville has an awesome live scene. I think anyone who actually spends time there understands this. Your "friend" is either a) blind and deaf or b) fictitious.

Time to grow up Peter Pan. Count Chocula.
Old 5th February 2010
Gear Head

in los angeles,if your lucky and land a "regular"min wage job,you still wouldnt make enough money to rent an apartment and survive on it anywhere in this city.
take that into consideration as well as the fact that it takes you minimum 6 months to
get situated in any way.
as far as a music scene...go to anywhere in europe!
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm beginning to think you are something us "farmboys living out of the trunks of our cars" call a liar. Nashville has an awesome live scene. I think anyone who actually spends time there understands this. Your "friend" is either a) blind and deaf or b) fictitious.

Time to grow up Peter Pan. Count Chocula.
Sorry didint realize you were a farmboy ROFLOL. No I'm not lying I was there for a week as I said, and yes, I was SHOCKED the place was so small and there few so FEW places even for country bands to play, but coming from NYC most secondary cities will seem small I guess. Yes I did meet with a record company exec yes he DID reaffirm to me Nashville had practically no live scene. No need to get your panties in a bunch Bonoboy. My point to the ORIGINAL QUESTIONER is that Nashville may not be the place to put all your eggs. It's small , not many places to play even less ways to make money so if you DONT get the big record deal you are STUCK begging for a job at the local DOLLAR STORE. NYC on the other hand has many options and ways to land on your feet and survive as an artist, especially if you have IT credentials and education... PLEEEEEEEEEASE resist the urge to respond to this with more insults. ITS BOOOOOOOOOORING
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Nut

For what it's worth, I thought Nashville was a hell of a time touring through there. I also have some vague memories from there when I was a kid, visiting my aunt just across the border in KY. In the greater scheme of things, Nashville is a smaller city, but it packs a bit of a punch if you know where to look. Reminds me a lot of Austin in the sense that it has a rich history as a music town and has a lot of jaded second and third generation residents because the town's reputation outgrew the local infrastructure.

Now, JCRockit.

Let's be real about what New York is compared to every other urban area in the entire world. There are very few cities that can combine the sheer size, culture, and true 'metropolitan' history that NYC does (maybe Tokyo, London, and Berlin). There are urban areas in this country capable of facilitating cultural phenomena, but because there were built out west (and by 'out west', I mean west of New England) on much more land, everything is much less concentrated in small neighborhoods.

Mid-sized cities like San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, and St. Louis are just slower cultural cycles because they're less piled onto themselves. The same underground scenes exist, with little clubs and warehouse parties, but the ideas take a lot longer seep into the national pipelines because it takes a lot longer to corral a spread out mass of people into these movements. New York is unique in that a little band could play a warehouse show in Williamsburg and, within a month, be a national sensation.

Chicago is the only other city I've been to that even remotely seems capable of that.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

It seems there is quiet the pissing contest here. I have run several successful companies and I can tell you in business if there was only one way to be successful that would make it so much easier. Throw away the formula's gentlemen. That is for suckers IMO.

Each band is its own company and needs to market itself according to what value it has.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

LA is bigger with more places to play than Nashvegas, guaranteed.

Nashvegas is great for honing your craft of writing songs, guaranteed, and people are friendly when they get that you are there to make things better as you grow.

NYC is THE largest market and has the most places to play by a LONG LONG shot. There's no argument to that.

Maybe decide on the weather:
NYC is cold but has an extended spring that is impossible to beat.
LA has sun sun sun and energy, plus a different production style than the more organic NYC.
Nashville has it's own thing going in the midwest so there will be weather, I mean WEATHER! But, there are places to play though it is a smaller town, you must be mindful of what trail you leave or what taste you leave in people's mouths, very conscious.

How about growth, yours:
Plan on having kids or family?
Crime, mass transit, and schools are all considerations. In NYC, you don't need a car, Nashville is hilly and your rice-burner will burn more gas, a lot more. California can be flat, hilly, mountainous, and everything else in 15 minutes and you HAVE TO DRIVE a car, and sit in traffic.

I LOVE LA!!
But I'm in Memphis.

If you have the slightest doubt that your stuff is platinum worthy, you may want to consider a larger market to get other related work consistently. You may find many niches in a bigger market.
Old 9th February 2010
Here for the gear

Hey guys,

I've been lurking on gear sluts for awhlie now, just wanted to say that I really enjoy the information you guys give on this forum, and to introduce myself as well, so Hello!!

My question is, what if you are a producer? I've seen are lot of artists ask this question, but what about for producers? Does where you are at make a difference in whether or not you get more work?

My specialty is top 40, I've worked with a couple A list writers already that have placements on alot of Major albums, mostly pop. I don't have any placements of the sort yet, but I do have some key relationships. But they are mostly concentrated in ATL (I'm from Chicago, but my contacts are mostly based in the A.)

Anyway, To James, or anyone else in LA, does the genre of music you work in matter according to the location?

For instance, thou there are things happening in the A, it seems to be more of a hub for Urban music than pop (ofcourse thats not a blanket judgment, Justin Bieber's album, was mostly done here, or done by people stationed here, since he's in Usher's camp, so I'm not saying there are not exceptions.) Since My focus is mostly pop thou, would'nt LA be an obvious choice?

Some of my industry friends tell me it dosen't matter, but seeing as thou Dr. Lukes camp and Max martin are both based out west (those guys are hot right now), and seeing also that alot of those same freinds are traveling back and forth between here and LA to work in different projects, I'm super confused. Its like a war in my head between staying in the A and going to LA. What do you guys think?

Also, my music is comparable to those guys I listed above, I do some urban ofcourse, but mostly I'm a pop guy. Do you think being out west would give me the most advantage?

Thanks in advance guys, really appreciate any advise I can get. I'm a confused mess right now!
Old 29th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
I tried that and it was a huge failure. I know for LA, most people aren't interested in you if you're not committed and live here. Bottom line. For me my career went nowhere in a satellite city I had to go where the action was. When they asked the bank robber why he robbed banks he said 'cuz that's where the money's at'....
This!
Old 29th July 2012
Gear Addict

MIAMI

Florida is the new California.
Old 29th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
MIAMI

Florida is the new California.

I LOVE the idea of THAT!
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

I've been down to Miami a few times recently to do some co-writes.
There's actually a pretty vibrant scene down there.
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
I've been down to Miami a few times recently to do some co-writes.
There's actually a pretty vibrant scene down there.
I have a standing invite to go there and stay. Could merge studios there. Hmmmm. very tempting. Not enough years in a life.
Old 30th July 2012

I'd spend some time in Miami in the summer before committing. I grew up in South Florida, that heat isn't for everyone and it is hot 8 months a year. Yukk.
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd spend some time in Miami in the summer before committing. I grew up in South Florida, that heat isn't for everyone and it is hot 8 months a year. Yukk.
Thanks for the heads up, James.
Weather doesn’t bother me if I’m working indoors primarily. I get used to Florida very quickly. I grew up in the south where there is heat, 100% humidity, no ocean or breeze. Florida is much better.
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
Don't move.

Make yourself a big fish in a small pond.
I read that major success to the Stargate duo first happened when they moved from Trondheim, Norway to New York.

They had some success here to, but I think they said with moving to New York they got easier access to the big artists compared to staying here.

Also being close to where it happens maby gives new inspiration and drive.
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
LoL. That's why Air Conditioning was invented! (i agree.. it get's a bit 'warm'... especially with the humidity)
The nights are great though. cool breeze, & skimpy bathing suits walking the town...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search