The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you need to be outgoing to have a career in music?
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Do you need to be outgoing to have a career in music?

I'm not as shy as I used to be but I'm still a little introverted and I'm not exactly the kind of guy that knows everyone. Since networking is such a large part of becoming successful as a musician/songwriter, how important is being outgoing in nature? If you really have the talent and the art, will that make up for it?
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Maniac

introversion is sexy so long as you have a ******, extrovert manager to actually sell your ****. you have to be somewhat aggressive, but if that isn't you then try and find someone who is to push you
Old 4th December 2009
besides being good at what you do it's very important. Networking often is more than half the battle.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

If everyones music is on par,pretty good for the most part, then at that point its all business.
That said there are plenty of introverts that are talented,and most super talented musicians I know never get anywhere for many reasons.
Used to be most super talented folks were freaks of some nature.
There still out there ,you just have to look.

Dan P
Old 7th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
I'm not as shy as I used to be but I'm still a little introverted and I'm not exactly the kind of guy that knows everyone. Since networking is such a large part of becoming successful as a musician/songwriter, how important is being outgoing in nature? If you really have the talent and the art, will that make up for it?
to be good and make decent art? Not important at all.

to make money? EVERYTHING. You cannot make a living out of music if you are a wallflower. It's always been that way - for every uber talent - right back to Coltrane and Gershwin - there are as many just as talented who you've never heard of because they lack the extra drive from being self motivated. Further - that very forwardness puts many artists into a position where they can concentrate on developing themselves - so it could even be argued that, long term, to be really good you've gotta have a persona of that ilk.
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

No one made it in music alone or without knowing someone, NO ONE.
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
to make money? EVERYTHING. You cannot make a living out of music if you are a wallflower.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I'd add that there are no careers to be had in music these days if you're at the "starting out" level. At least by MY definition of "career", but yours may vary.

Being able to schmooze is far more important than whatever talent you have. Those with that gift are the ones that rise to the top, and often, they are really not that talented.
Old 10th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I'd add that there are no careers to be had in music these days if you're at the "starting out" level. At least by MY definition of "career", but yours may vary.

Being able to schmooze is far more important than whatever talent you have. Those with that gift are the ones that rise to the top, and often, they are really not that talented.
YEP
Old 10th December 2009

Quote:
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

so true - and has been that way all along......
Old 10th December 2009
Gear Guru

In an effort to stem all the disparaging talk that I introduced, I would like to add that if you play the lottery and win, have a girlfriend that is so in love with you that she will put up with anything to support you, or if you marry into money or have parents that are wealthy and stupid enough beyond all reason to fund and sustain a studio, there IS still a chance to make music a career. thumbsup

Otherwise, I'd suggest becoming a professional athlete. You have a better shot at it.
Old 10th December 2009

heh
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

It doesn't get any truer than that.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search