The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Piracy on the decline, New Thinkiing on the upswing....
Old 16th November 2009
  #1
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Piracy on the decline, New Thinkiing on the upswing....

Or so it seems. At least according to the Economist.

Encouraging reports whether right or wrong seem to show the tide is turning. Some of it we've heard before, but still, good to see the mainstream media getting on board. thumbsupthumbsup Interesting stuff :

(These were posted on another forum. Not sure if they were here or not....)


http://www.economist.com/businessfin...ry_id=14845087

http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ry_id=14845177
Old 16th November 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Lots of great news! People all over the world seem determined to stop the madness now.
Old 16th November 2009
  #3
Gear Head
 

This is good to hear and I hope this trend continues. Whatever method of music consumption eventually wins out doesn't matter....as long as artists and all those involved in the creation process are fairly compensated for their efforts.
Old 16th November 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I think we'll see this in the beginning of the next decade:

1) Governments will say: 'People can have free music from Spotify now. We won't lose elections if we're tough on piracy -- let's introduce 3-strikes-&-you're-out.'

2) Artists will discover that they get $1 from Spotify for 2.000 streams.

3) Because of the new laws, artists have a choice: They leave Spotify and sell their songs on iTunes.

4) Spotify dies!

5) Pirates fight the future till the end.

6) People buy music on iTunes.
Old 16th November 2009
  #5
DCW
Gear Maniac
 

[QUOTE=author;47876761) Governments will say: 'People can have free music from Spotify now. We won't lose elections if we're tough on piracy -- let's introduce 3-strikes-&-you're-out.'
[/QUOTE]

Why f..k about? One strike is enough ---> 20 years hard labour or (if no remorse is shown) forced to watch Britian's/America's Got Talent repeats until begging for mercy followed by 20 years hard labour.
Old 17th November 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
lagavulin16's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
I think we'll see this in the beginning of the next decade:

1) Governments will say: 'People can have free music from Spotify now. We won't lose elections if we're tough on piracy -- let's introduce 3-strikes-&-you're-out.'

2) Artists will discover that they get $1 from Spotify for 2.000 streams.

3) Because of the new laws, artists have a choice: They leave Spotify and sell their songs on iTunes.

4) Spotify dies!

5) Pirates fight the future till the end.

6) People buy music on iTunes.
Or more realistically, the pirates will continue to pirate as much as ever, just with a bigger emphasis on encryption.
Old 17th November 2009
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
Or more realistically, the pirates will continue to pirate as much as ever, just with a bigger emphasis on encryption.
The 'hardcore' pirates yes,
but the harder it is, the less 'mainstream' it will be.
Old 17th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
lagavulin16's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyMike View Post
The 'hardcore' pirates yes,
but the harder it is, the less 'mainstream' it will be.
I don't know. The problem is that as soon as it gets harder to pirate, someone will just come out with software that makes it really easy for an average computer user to use it.

I'm interested to see what happens and buy all my CDs & software, so it won't really matter to me one way or the other. I just don't think we're going to see the genie getting put back in the bottle again.
Old 17th November 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
colinmiller's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Why f..k about? One strike is enough ---> 20 years hard labour or (if no remorse is shown) forced to watch Britian's/America's Got Talent repeats until begging for mercy followed by 20 years hard labour.

I think the 3 strikes is to protect against someone being falsely accused. 1 time could be a mistake. 3 times, probably not. And they have the ability to appeal each strike. So by the time you end up in jail, you're pretty much guilty as can be and don't have any excuses left. Plus I think it makes a good deterrent. If people stop their pirating, then the problem can be reduced without people having to go to jail.

And having to watch America's got talent is just inhumane. My parents made me watch that and only therapy can help.
Old 17th November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmiller View Post
I think the 3 strikes is to protect against someone being falsely accused. 1 time could be a mistake. 3 times, probably not. And they have the ability to appeal each strike. So by the time you end up in jail, you're pretty much guilty as can be and don't have any excuses left. Plus I think it makes a good deterrent. If people stop their pirating, then the problem can be reduced without people having to go to jail.
Nobody is going to jail, though.

It's worse: Your internet connection is shut down!
Old 17th November 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyMike View Post
The 'hardcore' pirates yes,
but the harder it is, the less 'mainstream' it will be.
Yes, enthusiasts will continue to spend their lives on inventing complicated workarounds.

The rest of us will buy our music and have fun.
Old 17th November 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

As I have said previously, It's really not that complicated, it's even easier than it was before. RS is 6$ a month or so.

All you can eat. In seconds. No P2P. And RS is not the only site doing this, there are many more and new ones appearing every day. The battleground has changed but the basic premise is still the same. Media for nothing and trillions of chicks for freeish. You don't even have to pay the monthly fee if you can put up with slower speeds..

rapidshare.com - Site Info from Alexa

The focus on piracy and determining piracy trends and stats still always seems to be on P2P, that's old now and those stats are not realistic.
Old 17th November 2009
  #13
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Nobody is going to jail, though.

It's worse: Your internet connection is shut down!
I guess that begs the connection, would it be better to be in jail with an internet connection???? thumbsup

And then it brings up another question..... how many GS members do you think are actually incarcerated as we sit here typing? heh heh
Old 20th November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
claend's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post

4) Spotify dies!

6) People buy music on iTunes.
Can you elaborate on this?? Why iTunes and not Spotify?? Revenue??

Thanks
Old 20th November 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
As I have said previously, It's really not that complicated, it's even easier than it was before. RS is 6$ a month or so.

All you can eat. In seconds. No P2P. And RS is not the only site doing this, there are many more and new ones appearing every day. The battleground has changed but the basic premise is still the same. Media for nothing and trillions of chicks for freeish. You don't even have to pay the monthly fee if you can put up with slower speeds..

rapidshare.com - Site Info from Alexa

The focus on piracy and determining piracy trends and stats still always seems to be on P2P, that's old now and those stats are not realistic.
Megaupload and rapidshare as well as most major upload companies will already remove infringing content by request. If pirate content is available on these systems it is because content owners are too lazy/busy/poor to police these systems themselves 24/7.

Most likely, we will see a shift in responsibility from content owners to these hosting companies to perform content filtering, as Youtube has done autonomously since their Viacom lawsuit.

Unfortunately, sometimes people really only do the right thing when faced with actual legal/financial threat.
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump