The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sony + IODA
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Sony + IODA

From what I heard, it is a major ownership stake, i.e. Sony is in control. Not sure if similar to UMG + INgrooves.

What do you guys think? IODA a sellout, and it's all about the money, and they should take the "I" out of their name? Are the majors taking control of all digital distribution channels again, like the way physical distribution made them the overlord in the business?

Or do you see it as a power shift, whereby indie distributors are now depended upon by the majors to push their stuff?
Old 2nd July 2009
it's survival. every person at every physical distributor is watching the death pool. every year in march I think, this is year physical product is finally, completely over - but it keeps hanging on...

warner folded ryko into ada, next step is folding ada into wmg.

emi already folded caroline into the parent co.

uni already folded fontana into the parent co.

sony's red division is hanging tough and no doubt the IAODA move is about transferring bodies, eventually, it seems obvious - most of Red will be folded into parent Sony(BMG).

the orchard was the first real digital aggregation service and probably has the single largest marketshare outside of the majors

the play in digital distribution will be to upsell services like marketing, PR, consultation, webdesign, etc - as anyone could go to tunecore or the like on their own.

Discmakers purchase of CDBaby is also an interesting play and ironically, Discmakers may survive in the long run as a boutique business of 20th Century antiques known as Compact Discs...

as the Chinese say, "May You Live In Interesting Times"...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search