The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pushing for Placements in the US
Old 25th April 2008
Gear Head

Pushing for Placements in the US

Hey guys

I lurk around here and pop up for convos every now and then. Just wanted to say whassup from Vancouver.

Anyways, Here's my thing. Im a producer/songwriter who has done a ton! of stuff here in Canada. I am stashing all of my good stuff for a upcoming US push for management and placements.

Any hints on what US A&R's are looking for? I've got some leads, and hoping what I'm doing is right. I've got about 30 songs completely done..as in fully written and recorded/mixed....and of course "beats with hooks"..lol.

I talk to alot of Canadian A&R and they always tell me to work my stuff down there because they say it sounds more polished than the canadian scene. I'm hoping to get some info from you guys who are placing records on a high level, what exactly they are looking for. I have some very important conference calls coming up and want to be prepared.....hoping to get serious answers as i'm not a noob who tells everybody he's a "music producer" lol.

If you guys want to check anything, you can check my myspace
myspace.com/basecampmusicgroup

thx in advance...this is a really cool site.
Old 25th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRUUDZ View Post
Hey guys

I lurk around here and pop up for convos every now and then. Just wanted to say whassup from Vancouver.

Anyways, Here's my thing. Im a producer/songwriter who has done a ton! of stuff here in Canada. I am stashing all of my good stuff for a upcoming US push for management and placements.

Any hints on what US A&R's are looking for? I've got some leads, and hoping what I'm doing is right. I've got about 30 songs completely done..as in fully written and recorded/mixed....and of course "beats with hooks"..lol.

I talk to alot of Canadian A&R and they always tell me to work my stuff down there because they say it sounds more polished than the canadian scene. I'm hoping to get some info from you guys who are placing records on a high level, what exactly they are looking for. I have some very important conference calls coming up and want to be prepared.....hoping to get serious answers as i'm not a noob who tells everybody he's a "music producer" lol.

If you guys want to check anything, you can check my myspace
myspace.com/basecampmusicgroup

thx in advance...this is a really cool site.
that "list" of what AnRs are looking for changes weekly...
it also really depends on what genre of music your looking to get into mainly.
Old 26th April 2008
Smile

good luck, man.

it really is anybody's guess - it's more about consistent marketing,
and networking / shmoozing - once you've found your niche.

however, FINDING the niche - AHHHHHH........that is truly the question.

since there's SOOOOO much competition, you really do have to pound away
at your contacts, and if you don't have any contacts, then you need to pound away
at getting some heh.....cold calling can SOMETIMES get you results.

there's a LOT of bs to wade through, unfortunately.

very tough. i wish you the best.

oh, i LOVE vancouver, btw
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any hints on what US A&R's are looking for?
I'm not trying to be discouraging but here's a real world answer to your question.

Labels, even small indie labels, are looking for a performer who has already built a following, can bring 100 people into a venue in their local scene, has self-funded their first CD and sold a couple thousand copies, and has 11,000 friends on Myspace. Indie labels are the venture capitalists of the record industry. When they invest money in an act they are looking for a return on their investment. The more evidence you can show them that you will make money, the more likely they are to sign you.

If you are a 16 year old girl who looks like Jessica Alba, sings like Tina Turner, and writes songs like Carol King then disregard the above paragraph.

While nothing is impossible, it is very rare these days for a label to sign an unknown act. You're welcome to contact a bunch of labels but every label that I personally know of won't respond to unsolicited materials. They get flooded with this stuff every day and they don't even have the time to listen to it. They are looking for bands that are emerging on the scene and creating a buzz. The successful labels go out and look for the best clients as opposed to reviewing the promo paks that come across their desk.

Sorry to be a downer but if your present marketing plan consists of cold calling labels you are in for an uphill battle.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search