The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FBI Anti-Piracy Warning Labels found on CDs
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

FBI Anti-Piracy Warning Labels found on CDs

I know these are a very effective way of keeping CD pirates away!!!

However, I have a client who wants to print this label on the back of her CD's packaging. I know it's silly, but it will make her feel better. Does anyone know where I can obtain an image of this file to download for her CD artwork? Or do CD dupe houses include this... Or? I have never had to deal with this before; any insight on this would be grately appeciated.

Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2007
You're not allowed to use the FBI logo -- but you can use the text...

http://www.fbi.gov/ipr/

"Warning: The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000."

Rail
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Or maybe rework it a little. How about ... "Hey you! We don't trust you, and we're not very nice, so maybe try that other CD over there ...".

Perhaps a skull & crossbones or something to get the message across.
Old 22nd August 2007
I have a CD to review (Obituary) with a new Sony XCD copyprotection. it doesnt play in my Sony!!! CD player, not in my pc, not in my car.

in principal it's the perfect copyprotection, problem is, I can't listen to the music hehheh

maybe she should try this.. or just release an empty CD
Old 22nd August 2007
Tape Op

Many artists self-releasing CDs put a pleasant note explaining that making copies to turn friends on to th music is okay, please buy copies if you can, and come support our shows. It's more personal, and less "you are a criminal". Show her soemthing like this!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, are Obituary still together? Are there any original members left?
Old 22nd August 2007
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I have a CD to review (Obituary) with a new Sony XCD copyprotection. it doesnt play in my Sony!!! CD player, not in my pc, not in my car.

in principal it's the perfect copyprotection, problem is, I can't listen to the music
That.... is.... GREAT!!!

FWIW - I just bought the Beastie Boys "Mix-Up" tonight and was really shocked & happy to be happy able to rip the shrink off & plop it into the office PC, groove along while I post & go through Emaul...

First time in a LONG time I've bought a 'new' (recent) CD and NOT had some kind of B.S. come up & prevent me from playing it...

Just like the old days?!
Old 22nd August 2007
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

One thing I think is wrong with this country is that when I buy a DVD, I have do watch fixnum seconds of that stern FBI warning rather than my movie.

I knew an Assistant US Attorney and asked him how many software piracy cases they prosecuted. His brown knitted angrily and he responded "The US Attorney's offfice is not a collection agency." Apparently he thought bank robbers and drug lords were more fun to go after.

My favorite of the boilerplate warnings is the one stating that "In 1977, the international association of something or other expressed concern about piracy of movies." It strikes me that anyone who might be intimidated by that statement is probably not literate enough to read it in the first place.

BTW, was in Colombia a few weeks ago, and every single DVD for sale down there has artwork that was printed on a consumer level ink-jet printer. My son noted some movies that had not been released on DVD in the US yet. The boys asked about getting some and I said "Sure, wait till the feds check our bags and find those..." I'll be they edit out the FBI warning too.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search