The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why don't intelligent lyrics sell?
Old 22nd August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Now, the good music largely exists almost entirely outside the big pop cookie cutting machine. But it's that machine that has the promo budgets and by controlling payola and bribes to music writers and 'considerations' to other corporate entities, it is they who control the music that gets media exposure -- tightly controlling it in some cases. Just as certain computer companies want to 'compete' through bogus patent and other intellectual property lawsuits and legal actions, Big Music 'competes' by controlling the means of popular access.
No, not "big music". Big Music would like to sell whatever they can sell, in many cases they'd be perfectly happy to sell intelligent, artistic music. Most people in the music business are in it because they love music - if they were in it for the money they'd do something else.

The problem isn't "Big Music" because they're not in control. Madison avenue/Big Advertising and their puppets in Big Radio are in control of what gets played, and if you think radio is part of the music business you're sadly mistaken. Big Radio doesn't give a rat's ass about music, or the music business, they only care about selling advertising. That's why they push toxic crap like Rush Limbaugh and have converted so many former music stations to talk and sports formats. This is largely the product of the FCC deregulation ownership of stations, allowing megacorporate monopolies to take over. They have the power, they call the shots. If the music business wants to get stuff on the radio, they have to supply stuff in the approved formats, as approved by Madison Avenue focus groups.
Old 22nd August 2012
New slogan: "A focus group of one."
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

I teach audio production, and regularly make the students come up with songs on the spot so we can teach different techniques. Whenever I hear from the students... "I don't know what to sing" .....I've always said...."You can always get away with just a whole bunch of 'Ooooo, Ooooo, Baby, Baby's!'"

I don't listen to pop radio much, but my wife and I were just last week and apparently there is a hit song out right now that it precisely just that.

.....if only they'd listened to me....... heh
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
No, not "big music". Big Music would like to sell whatever they can sell, in many cases they'd be perfectly happy to sell intelligent, artistic music. Most people in the music business are in it because they love music - if they were in it for the money they'd do something else.

The problem isn't "Big Music" because they're not in control. Madison avenue/Big Advertising and their puppets in Big Radio are in control of what gets played, and if you think radio is part of the music business you're sadly mistaken. Big Radio doesn't give a rat's ass about music, or the music business, they only care about selling advertising. That's why they push toxic crap like Rush Limbaugh and have converted so many former music stations to talk and sports formats. This is largely the product of the FCC deregulation ownership of stations, allowing megacorporate monopolies to take over. They have the power, they call the shots. If the music business wants to get stuff on the radio, they have to supply stuff in the approved formats, as approved by Madison Avenue focus groups.
I've never met an A&R rep in Nashville that knew anything about music other than what he liked. That's why all of the crap coming out labeled as 'Country' sounds the same. Not love of music. Love of paycheck. And they get traded around like horses down here.

Apparently, you've never worked in a music retail outlet. I have over a dozen years logged behind various nationally known counters; managed a couple and I can assure you that whether it be 'Big Music' or 'Big Radio', nothing gets played or 'pushed' unless it sells records or advertising. Money is the name of the game. Stations would call the retail store to find out what was selling in order to determine what went into rotation. It doesn't work the other way around, regardless what you've been told. AM went to the talk format because it sold ad time and because no one was listening to Frankie Vallie and the Beach Boys in the back seat of their 57 Chevy anymore.

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 23rd August 2012 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Does Frankie's last name have one or two 'L's?
Old 23rd August 2012
Here for the gear

You do not need to be in the music business to see what is going on. Everything is focused grouped, music is selected and sold to radio stations based on demographics. These demographic groups are then sold to advertisers. Nothing more ore nothing less. Slowly it is backfiring as satellite and internet radio take over the "air waves." I never listen to traditional radio anymore. I stream the internet in my car and listen to the music I want to hear from online stations that play it.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Why is it that 95% of all popular and successful songs have trite, sub-par lyrics with minimal artistic merit?

Is the pop market really that shallow? Do people just not want to think or be bothered by the problems of the world when they're listening to music?

Is it possible to be "pop" and also be "thought-provoking?"

Sure there are examples, but they are the vast minority.

Is it really just that hard to write good lyrics and still write catchy, poppy melodies? I mean, Bad Religion does it and they don't get squat, even tho their music has fit the bill for the pop circuit perfectly for the past 8 years or so at least (instead they're "overshadowed" by rip-off bands like Blink-182.) Dexter Holland of The Offspring wrote several albums filled with great, thought-provoking lyrics, but what gets played on the radio? I'd say it's all in the marketing, but in some cases, the marketing has been there and still...nothing...

Probably just reading too much into things again, but still...what gives?

It's "high fructose corn syrup-music."
ie artificial junk that's really not good for you, certainly not in regular doses.

Rant over.

Last edited by perform/record; 24th August 2012 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: abridged my rant
Old 27th August 2012
Here for the gear

I find that people that consume this type of sugary say-nothing type of pop music have low standards in many other areas of their lives. In fact, I think it's a sign of weak will and a symptom of wanting to be hypnotized not to feel the pain of the physical and emotional real world stress. If you buy that type of music, I believe you are susceptible to other types of hypnotic states or propaganda. If you are one of the millions that purchase, it is evidence that you can be added to the herd of numb headed consumers. Have no fear, intelligence is right here on Earth, though not well publicized! If intelligent lyrics weren't wanted millions would not buy Rush, Tool, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Todd Rundgren, Pink Floyd, and on and on . . . The zombies will be defeated, mark my words!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search