The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital Performer general question
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted User
Digital Performer general question

I notice that DP gets its share of slamming due to whatever bugs, nasties it has in the app etc.

Heres the question? If the app is that bad, why do the main guys doing all the huge live shows use it for everything?? MTC to house for sync, backing tracks etc.

Im guessing it would HAVE TO BE stable for them or they wouldnt use it. I know they use a second setup with an auto switcher if things get crazy but you get the idea.

Mike McKnight, Kevin Ryan, etc

Really curious
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

It's very stable. The main thing I don't like it is it's not cpu friendly as Logic. The interface, workflow, sound, plug-ins are all very good. I guessed the popularity of Logic has something to do with Apple's strategies:

1) very cheap price, all-in-one solution (you had to pay separately in the old days)
2) It's easy to download it from the net. Apple doesn't care. A Mac is logic's dongle.

When most new users got it for free, suddenly DP became a bad application. It's actually a very good DAW! And most DP users are very busy in making music or money.

Some of the plug-ins are first rate, for example I have compared DP's MasterWork EQ to Sonnox EQ, the sound quality is similar. I ended up using DP MasterWork EQ more and more. The new reverb and limiter plug-ins are also great stuff!

BTW, DP's summing has no problem now. I found in the old days (version 4?), when dealing with time-based plug-ins (delay, echo...etc), it gave me different summing results each time. Sometime I found the peaks are even different, about 0.1dB. And they sound not as good as the real-time playback. That was a real pain! I always ended up sending mix via AES to other devices to record, or used a bus track to record the real-time playback to get a better result.

After about version 5, I don't see the problem. So I really don't know what some people talked about, especially they don't have any actual files for comparisons to prove. From what I have experienced, it's just not a problem. Of course, now I can use MH's 80 bit mixer to do summing. It's even better than ever. So please ignore people claimed DP's summing is not good as Logic or whatever DAW, unless they can show you a real evidence.

However, I do agree MOTU's support is very bad, though most established companies have bad tech support too.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Guru

I personally don't find it too stable, but CHUNKS. That's the reason. Very well suited for live performance if you're doing a set arrangement.
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I personally don't find it too stable, but CHUNKS. That's the reason. Very well suited for live performance if you're doing a set arrangement.
Esplain the CHUNK Dr Bill
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

It feels like MOTU has struggled a bit with DP since the transitions to OS X and Intel. So I think much of the bad reputation comes from this. But with Digital Performer 6 they were finally back on track.. Some said DP6 was buggy andit got quite a beating. But it has been rock solid for me. Now DP7 is out and it gets glowing reviews by the users. It's a GREAT application.

Obviously it can't beat Logic when it comes included sounds and VIs. But for serious work, who uses the sounds that ccomes with the App?

Also, it doesn't have as many ready-to-go presets which would make it a bit harder to use for beginners. But for the pros that too is a non-issue.

I own both Logic 9 and DP6 (can't afford to upgrade to DP7 right now but DP6 is working great so I'm not in a hurry). I can't stand working in Logic. I fire it up now and then to play around with the included loops. For everything else I use DP.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Esplain the CHUNK
CHUNKS are multiple sequences within the same project.
You can use it to have all tracks for an album in the same DP project. Or all the tracks for a live show. Or to work on different versions of the same track.

In a special CHUNK window you can arrange the order in which chunks are played. Or you can asign keycommand to then so you can load different chunks on the spot.

Chunks can also share effects, VIs etc. Minimising load times and saving RAM if the same VI is used across many sequences.

I haven't used it that much so it's a bit hard to explain. Someone else can probably explain it better and/or correct me ;-)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear