The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digital Performer Error (Disk Is Unreadable?) Analog Processors (HW)
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

Digital Performer Error (Disk Is Unreadable?)

i'm using DP4 on a G4 running the most recent version of 10.4 (ancient, i know...but it fits my needs). over the past few months, i've been getting an odd error message. every once in a while, when i try to save a project, i get "an error occurred, file cannot be written, disk is unreadable. it happened about 5% of the time, and i just figured the HD was busy or whatever. i waited a minute, hit "apple-s" again, and everything was fine.

until now. i have a project open, and i can't save it at all. i get that error message every time. i repaired disk permission, but that didn't help.

i only have one HD in my machine, so i can't save it to another disk. can anyone help me understand what happened all of a sudden? the computer functions fine...the project plays, i can navigate the finder...but i can't save my DP project?!?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe try a "save as" or saving a copy of the session to a different folder on your hard drive. At least then you'll have your work - its possible that something is corrupt with your original session file.

Good luck!
-Mike
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

saving the file with a different name or in a different location doesn't help. and it happens with multiple projects as well. not good.
Old 26th January 2010
Gear interested

error = -39

I'm becoming extremely frustrated with a very similar problem. Without any warning or provocation whatsoever DP 5.13 & 7.02 have failed to load files citing "error = -39" and stating that "the file failed to load". I have a rather powerful machine with plenty of ram, and every driver and VI software version is up to date.I cannot find any evidence of what causes this problem- nor can I seem to replicate it. It happens randomly without any apparent pattern. I have moved the file to different machines and different studios nothing has seemed to help. I think that after 11 years with DP, this may just be what sends me to the competition.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear interested

Error -39

I had the same problem with DP 7.22/MAC OS 10.6.5/MAC 12 CORE WESTMERE
ERROR -39 WONT OPEN ANY FILE THAT WHERE NOT 7.22 ORIGINAL.The day before they could open a day after NO! So I found the solution and now it works perfectly.
solution:
1* quit DP
2* go to user(in mac os)
3* go to library
4* go to preference
5* trash the folder call Digital Performer™
6* take your original DP installation disc
7* Unistall DP
8* re-install Dp ( you won't have to give the key code again)
9* Launch DP he will gather all the plug in
10* you are now free of error -39
Good day from Quebec-Canada
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not familiar with mac but that sounds like an OS warning about hardware issues. I would be looking into replacing that drive and backing things up ASAP
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear interested

Error -39 with dp 7.22

ERROR -39 with 7.22 (7.22 won’t open or load file not save as 7.22)

I find a solution:

A NEW TRICK!
By this you will know that error 39 is not related to plug ins, or special
way of using DP 7.22
I just discorver that any file (dp file of course) that 7.22
won't open by indicating error -39

YOU JUST NEED TO AD TO THE END OF NAME OF THE FILE .AUTOSAVE
and it will open
the same file that won't open now do!

ex.: P-Lessons in love.mid (7.22 give a error -39)
same file with ad: P-Lessons in love.mid.autosave (now 7.22 will open it)

and with that now the logo DP stamp will appear
with the new name of the file instead of MIDI

Weird! YES...BUT IT WORKS...
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
I would be looking into replacing that drive and backing things up ASAP
+1

Could be a fragged or corrupted HD.
Old 27th February 2011
Gear interested

I have a suspicion about the cause of this problem

I had the same problem occur to me yesterday ("Disk not Readable" message as I was trying to save a file). I read through a whole bunch of posts, and I am suspecting that this error has to do with plugins that are running on a TRIAL PERIOD. Once the trial runs out, I have the feeling that these plugins prevent DP from saving files.
This is what I did to solve the problem:

- I trashed the DP "Preference" folder in User/Library/Preferences/Digital Performer (however, I am not certain that this was actually necessary)

- I removed the plugin that I knew was on a trial period using AudioUnit Manager (you could most probably just delete the component manually if necessary)

- I re-started DP, and did a test save. The same message appeared again, so I shut down DP, and launched it again. I did not get the message again, and so far so good.

It's only been a day so far, so I'll post an update if it happens again. Anyway, the lesson here may be to remove plugins that are running on a trial period, but that you are not using.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search