The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is DP your DAW long-term? (And related questions.)
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Is DP your DAW long-term? (And related questions.)

DP has been my primary DAW for 20+ years now. As some of you might have seen in the "not happy with DP 10" thread, I've been plagued by unusually frequent crashing since upgrading to 10.1, to the point where I'm thinking about moving, most likely to Logic (which I've begun doing some of my work in already), but possibly to something else.

At this point, I'm curious about others' experiences and how they see DP fitting into their future work. So, three questions:

1) If you are currently doing a substantial portion of your DAW work in DP, do you think that will still be true 3 years from now?

If the answer is no, then:

2) What DAW(s) do you think will replace it?

3) What (if anything) could MOTU do to keep you in the fold?

My answers would be:

1) No
2) Most likely Logic (other contenders: Studio One, Reaper, Cubase)
3) Stability fixes and better remote control options (either a dedicated mobile app or hardware device)

Curious to hear from others.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
1) If you are currently doing a substantial portion of your DAW work in DP, do you think that will still be true 3 years from now?
Probably, I've used DP off and on since forever. Used Performer in a band in the 80's, then bought DP 2.11 in around 96. Popped over to Logic for a few years 01-08 or so.

Quote:
2) What DAW(s) do you think will replace it?
In my case for a lot of things Bitwig. But Bitwig doesn't do movie hosting, SysEx saving or firing, and probably won't ever get Articulation maps. I spent some time looking for an MPE DAW and I simply cannot get over the MIDI input limitations of Logic, by channel only, they really try to steer you away from multi track MIDI recording, which I didn't know I did much of until trying to use Logic.

Quote:
3) What (if anything) could MOTU do to keep you in the fold?
MPE and articulation map support are at the top of the list.

Clips in DP are behind Logic and miles behind Live and Bitwig. though there are some unique features such as stacking clips to fire later, the others do not do that!

The main thing that has me wandering from DP is controller support, or the limited bare minimum support MOTU offer in DP. Logic and Bitwig in particular both offer amazing controller support, especially Bitwig, any VST or VSTi is mapped to common parameters if you want, that pull up in any song, plus song specific parameters are visually mapped, all launchpad and even Push 2 controllers have support for clips, any transport for any controller can be assigned to be a control surface in Bitwig. DP on the other hand mostly does HUI and Mackie control surface support, so keyboard with transports that follow those protocols work, but not much else, MIDI learn works, but it's not elegant compared.

Side note, I had issues in DP 2.7 with "repeat" dropping the first repeat when recording, a small bug, but I wandered off to Logic, which was rock solid 4.7 to 6, then nose dived into constant crashes in v7 which had me thinking about DP again. I'm definitely not one to tell someone not to switch, I own: Live, Logic, DP, Bitwig, Reaper, and if you want to count them as DAWs of a sort: ReNoise, Maschine, MPC, and Reason. I do use DP 80% of the time, though that's changing recently as I've been getting into MPE, and it's easier in the MPE capable DAWs, specifically Reaper and Bitwig. Logic can do MPE, but it takes all 16 channels, so only one controller at a time etc.

Anyway, it's a bit of a headache really, they all have strong and weak points, so it's hard to stay loyal. If DP covered the four requests I posted above, I don't think I would ever leave it, but likely, they can't spend that kind of resources on DP for a few more years so I work in other DAWs when I want MPE or control surface support etc.
📝 Reply