The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Things I can do better in Logic than in DP
Old 6th June 2020
Here for the gear

Things I can do better in Logic than in DP

Hello,
I’ve just got Logic Pro X with Pro Apps Bundle. I am composer, I have Digital Performer and I don’t wan’t to change my main DAW, but I'm wondering, if there are things that I can partially do in Logic, because the Logic is better for that. Let’s say, DP is my master software and Logic could be the slave software.
For instanse, maybe some of the Logic plugins are better. Standard processors, like compressor, eq, or special effect proccesors. Maybe Logic has better time/pitch shifting algorithms. Maybe it has better instruments (synthesizers or samplers). Maybe is better for making spatial effects or multichannel panning.
As I said, I prefere to do main job in Digital Performer, I don’t want to change DAW. But maybe for some job I can import audio file to Logic, do the job and come back to DP.

Has anyone experience with the Logic? Thank you in advance for your answer.
Old 7th June 2020
Here for the gear

I'm in the same boat—just got Logic recently and still leaning. Sampler and Quick Sampler are very convenient. Alchemy is interesting. I'd say tentatively that the LP softsynths/plugins are very good, with actually more useful presets/patches. The Flex time/pitch are fine and I don't feel them inferior to DP. (In fact I found that DP's Spectral effect algo got worst in ver.10—more artifact.) You said you're a composer, not sure if you work with drum in Modern electronic commercial music context or not. The LP Drummer is quite nice and a time saver. Dealing with the loop-based concept is a bit easier too, feels more "native".

What confuses me and have me paranoically check again and again is the way LP handles the audio assets. The big pictures are the same but the way LP represents it is strange to me and I have to make sure I actually delete the files I want to, etc. Also I think LP's default to add some effects/patches to a track—nice if you want to get a stock polished sound fast, but this confused me quite a bit, coming from DP where you always add your own when you want. Now that I learned to tell it not to do that, we live together more peacefully.

I think I'll stick to DP for surgical audio editing—I'm too used to its shortcuts to move away quickly to other DAW, and also do my more"experimental" in DP. But I'll try the beat-based/time-synchorized music in LP. Well, that's my LP newbie impression. You have to stay tune for LP experts here to chime in on details.
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Two things right off the bat:

1) I'm still getting used to it, but when I've had more time to work with it I think I'll like Logic's track comping functionality better than DP's. I'm not sure yet if it's as powerful, but it seems less fussy. For example, I like the fact that new takes are created simply by doing another record pass.

2) Logic has a full-featured iOS remote control app. This makes it vastly more usable for folks like me who do a lot of audio tracking of live, miked-up sources like guitars and vocals. No more setting up huge countoffs to give myself time to get to the recording position between when I click the red button and when the take starts; I can do everything I need to from where the mic is. (If that kind of tracking isn't part of your workflow this might not matter.)
Old 16th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artj View Post
What confuses me and have me paranoically check again and again is the way LP handles the audio assets. The big pictures are the same but the way LP represents it is strange to me and I have to make sure I actually delete the files I want to, etc. Also I think LP's default to add some effects/patches to a track—nice if you want to get a stock polished sound fast, but this confused me quite a bit, coming from DP where you always add your own when you want. Now that I learned to tell it not to do that, we live together more peacefully.

Huh? After 20+ years of using Logic every single day, Logic has never tried to add any default processing to a track after its recorded. Not sure what you're on about here, but its not Logic's 'default' behavior at all.
Old 17th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Huh? After 20+ years of using Logic every single day, Logic has never tried to add any default processing to a track after its recorded. Not sure what you're on about here, but its not Logic's 'default' behavior at all.
Oh, no. Sorry for being unclear. I meant the first time I used it, it automatically added those compressor and channel EQ to the audio channelstrip, and send busses. Yes, comp off and EQ with 0 gain and no buss signals, but caught me off-guard nonetheless when I looked at the mixer and thought, what the heck, I just added one audio track.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
He is talking about creating a Drummer track for instance where Logic will set up reverb auxes and EQ for the channels unless you uncheck the “Use Library” tic box when you create the track.

Pat
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del_Gesu View Post
For instanse, maybe some of the Logic plugins are better. Standard processors, like compressor, eq, or special effect proccesors. Maybe Logic has better time/pitch shifting algorithms. Maybe it has better instruments (synthesizers or samplers). Maybe is better for making spatial effects or multichannel panning.
The one area where Logic is without a doubt better is the included instruments. 10.5 has at least a dozen fantastic instruments and FX that you would normally pay money as a VST/AU for. MIDI wise Logic has a slightly better approach to quantization, it's mostly non destructive, and it allows you to limit a MIDI tracks note range, so you can set one AUi to C1 - C3 and the next to C#3 - C8 etc. Logic also does a true "all" setting with MIDI, and records MPE instruments to one tracks accordingly. Logic also has great support for controllers, you have Smart Controls that allow an AU to have pre mapped faders and knobs to your controller. So calling up a reverb etc. it has 8+ parameters already mapped. Logic already has an iPad app for it's Clips feature, and support from Novation for their Launchpads for Clips.

The caveat, Logic does not separate incoming MIDI by port for AU instruments. What this means is you cannot record arm 2 - 8 tracks of AU instruments without setting all the MIDI controllers in your studio to a specific MIDI channel, 1-16. At this point in time it's very much set up for you to work on everything on a per track basis. This means that MPE instruments are only playable without using other AUi. I personally find this extremely annoying. Even without MPE support DP10 easily allows me to set up two controllers to two or even the same instrument with no issues.

In General the way that Logic treats busses is to give you "choices" about how to address them, it's a lot different than DP or Live say, where you have a list of possible destinations and sources for every available track type. Setting up a multi instrument in Logic seems much more closed off and kid gloves like than in DP or Live etc.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear