The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DP 10.1 Update is a Doozie
Old 26th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo_x View Post
Please MOTU, in the year of our lord 2020, can we have varispeed time stretch?
It's starting to feel personal.
I'm not getting this?
In DP there's definitely elastic audio, it automatically conforms to the timeline etc. It's possible to turn it off, but the default is on.

Could you explain a little more what you're trying to do that isn't possible in DP?
Old 26th January 2020
Gear Nut

Varispeed type time stretching, like a tape machine, pitch and time at the same time by playing the audio faster or slower. It's the most basic thing, but for some reason DP still doesn't have it. Most DAWs have it even if the have no other time or pitch tools.

It's weird.
Old 27th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Varispeed type time stretching, like a tape machine, pitch and time at the same time by playing the audio faster or slower. It's the most basic thing, but for some reason DP still doesn't have it. Most DAWs have it even if the have no other time or pitch tools.

It's weird.
OK you're talking about sound design type time / pitch stretching where faster tempos make the pitch go up etc. got it. I can't think of any reason besides sound design to want the pitch to change on audio when you change the tempo though?

A workaround would be recording system audio with something like Audio Hijack while using the Scrub Tool in DP. I was messing with it the other day and realized it was a better tape stop, record stop type sound than what I was using.
Old 27th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
There's always something to learn in DP. Because of my new day job, I do a ton of dialog editing. That means I need to move things left and right. I needed a way to select everything to the right and couldn't figure out how to do it. I posted on the "other forum" and several people answered back with the solution (Grow selection to end). I put it on the same key command that Premier uses and it's made a huge difference to my workflow.

That's another thing I love about DP. Because I switch between Premier and DP all the time, it's really nice to have the same key commands in both programs. Premier doesn't let you customize key commands (as far as I know), but DP does. Now they match.

Dave
Nice tip, I too had an issue with that and didn't know such an option existed. Yes, DP is indeed deep.
Old 27th January 2020
Gear Head

DP 10.11 finally fixed its ramped automation issue Hurray!

I am very thankful for the fact that Dp now allows a mixer to paste automation around a song without the crazy ramping of automation it created before this update. They really fixed this and I am blown away at how I can now focus on mixing an ENTIRE song without automation being ruined by the simple act of pasting mixed sections around. It was myself and one other guy at Motunation that fought for this. We begged and fought for years for this fix. We were both ridiculed, accused of being outliers etc. But we weren't. And the fact that is was FIXED shows it was indeed broken for decades. We weren't crazy.
A mixer needs to be able to paste sections of a song around without ruining earlier and later automation in a mix! I am both vindicated and happy.
Now, when I get a section of a song chorus perfectly mixed, I can simply paste the around the song as need without having to go in and do "DP automation surgery". When a film director asks me to cut out a section, I can confidently cut it without ruining automation. Thrilled and vindicated!! Thank you MOTU. A 1000xs thank you!
Now if you could just fix looped playback so DP doesn't stutter when the play back points are engaged or changed please. It never ends does it?
Old 27th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodamnhip View Post
I am very thankful for the fact that Dp now allows a mixer to paste automation around a song without the crazy ramping of automation it created before this update. They really fixed this and I am blown away at how I can now focus on mixing an ENTIRE song without automation being ruined by the simple act of pasting mixed sections around. It was myself and one other guy at Motunation that fought for this. We begged and fought for years for this fix. We were both ridiculed, accused of being outliers etc. But we weren't. And the fact that is was FIXED shows it was indeed broken for decades. We weren't crazy.
A mixer needs to be able to paste sections of a song around without ruining earlier and later automation in a mix! I am both vindicated and happy.
Now, when I get a section of a song chorus perfectly mixed, I can simply paste the around the song as need without having to go in and do "DP automation surgery". When a film director asks me to cut out a section, I can confidently cut it without ruining automation. Thrilled and vindicated!! Thank you MOTU. A 1000xs thank you!
Now if you could just fix looped playback so DP doesn't stutter when the play back points are engaged or changed please. It never ends does it?
So glad to hear it's actually fixed!

My wishes are in line with yours, minor fixes here and there are more what I want than big changes. Key commands yo show and hide the Clip subwindow, to empty clips etc. It shouldn't be that dropping REX files into the Tracks window requires a track to be in place already, otherwise it doesn't conform to tempo etc.

MPE and Expression maps like Logic and Cubase notwithstanding.
Old 28th January 2020
Lives for gear

'Hipster, that's awesome, bro'!

To be fair, didn't some guys point out that some other DAW's behave that way too and that it therefore might not be seen by MOTU to be a bug, and legitimately-so?

I was with you all-the-way 'though; I don't want "auto-ramping" or whatever if I'm pasting, just straight-up what I've moved / duplicated. I didn't chime in on your requests 'cause I haven't had any audio software installed for a long time and couldn't therefore conduct tests and experiments of my own, but as I said, I was with you based on the theory alone.

Well, well done, man. Persistence is all-powerful.
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Please MOTU, in the year of our lord 2020, can we have varispeed time stretch?
It's starting to feel personal.
+1... Reaper has it (playrate) and I use it a frequently.

Also agree that a drivenbymoss controller “module” type thing for DP would be killer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does DP display peak meter number read outs similar to Logic (I’m on DP9.5)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So after a period of stability, I'm once again getting frequent crashes in DP10.11, usually immediately on opening a project (these are projects created in 10, not in earlier versions). Extremely frustrating, and has me contemplating other options. Has anybody else been having stability problems in the current version, and if so have you identified a fix?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't know for sure, mate; I've not heard much in the way of drastic issues.

Bear in mind that word is a 10.12 update is in-the-works / on-its-way soon, so who knows, if there's anything major that needed addressing, you'd think it'd be taken care of presently.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

As a DP user for 20 years, I switched to Studio One as primary DAW a while back for a number of reasons. This update is good, but I feel like they copied Studio One alot on this one: trackpad zoom, zoom tool shortcut change to "z", real-time bounce (protools)/stem bounce/bounce markers, bit gain on soundbite (though can't select multiple and change globally yet) to name a few. I guess they all copy each other at the end of the day. Still really like DP's built-in pitch correction.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search