The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DP 10 Stretch Mode...What's Up? DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

DP 10 Stretch Mode...What's Up?

Downloaded DP10 to try stretch mode.

Had an existing session with a stereo audio file that had been tempo mapped. So it was in Conductor Track mode, going through various tempo changes.

Enabled Stretch mode so I could slow it down and run some tests. Did not touch the transport or attempt to change tempo by unlocking conductor track. Simply put it in STRETCH mode.

As soon as I did that, the track was no longer in sync with the click whatsoever.
So I turned OFF the stretch mode enable button, and now it is not only no longer in sync (in conductor mode) it is stumbling around wildly. Had to close session, not save, and reopen to get things back to normal.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thx

Last edited by oceantracks; 1 week ago at 10:36 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

Had an existing session with a stereo audio file that had been tempo mapped. So it was in Conductor Track mode, going through various tempo changes.

Enabled Stretch mode so I could slow it down and run some tests. Did not touch the transport or attempt to change tempo by unlocking conductor track. Simply put it in STRETCH mode.

As soon as I did that, the track was no longer in sync with the click whatsoever.
So I turned OFF the stretch mode enable button, and now it is not only no longer in sync (in conductor mode) it is stumbling around wildly. Had to close session, not save, and reopen to get things back to normal.

Thx
Yes. Without knowing what the new tempo(s) sre going to be, time stretch can’t “guess” what you want them to be, so the audio goes haywire.

You need to set a new tempo map FIRST. Then,
highlight each AUDIO TRACK you want to change
AND specify the bar range in the window ABOVE
the Tracks OverView window. To be on the safe
side, I always make the range from bar 1 beat
1 tick 1 to at least bar 500, beat 1,tick 1.
Then from Audio menu, choose “Adjust Soundbites to Sequence Tempo”. I avoid
adjusting more than five tracks at a time as it
can tax your CPU.

Time stretching works great in DP..best I’ve seen
in ANY DAW. But it cant read your mind.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Yes. Without knowing what the new tempo(s) sre going to be, time stretch can’t “guess” what you want them to be, so the audio goes haywire.

You need to set a new tempo map FIRST. Then,
highlight each AUDIO TRACK you want to change
AND specify the bar range in the window ABOVE
the Tracks OverView window. To be on the safe
side, I always make the range from bar 1 beat
1 tick 1 to at least bar 500, beat 1,tick 1.
Then from Audio menu, choose “Adjust Soundbites to Sequence Tempo”. I avoid
adjusting more than five tracks at a time as it
can tax your CPU.

Time stretching works great in DP..best I’ve seen
in ANY DAW. But it cant read your mind.
You are talking about something completely different, not the new stretch mode, which I have confirmed with MOTU should work just as it does in Logic and PT. Put track in STRETCH mode, change tempo, track now stays with the new tempo.

No selections to make, no working your way through the piece. Just like PT.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thx
I think you mentioned this in the other thread, the tempo mapping from other programs is not always going to work smoothly with DP. I had a similar issue with an Apple Loop, it added .01 to the length but you can fix it.

The included Loopmasters App is pretty cool, it tags your entire library for you, which is super useful since I bought a couple gigabytes of drum loops from Zero G a while ago This also might be a solution come to think of it, it's possible whatever other tags the Loppmasters app puts on the files fixes any inconsistencies with various loop formats.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I think you mentioned this in the other thread, the tempo mapping from other programs is not always going to work smoothly with DP. I had a similar issue with an Apple Loop, it added .01 to the length but you can fix it.

The included Loopmasters App is pretty cool, it tags your entire library for you, which is super useful since I bought a couple gigabytes of drum loops from Zero G a while ago This also might be a solution come to think of it, it's possible whatever other tags the Loppmasters app puts on the files fixes any inconsistencies with various loop formats.
No it works fine. I can import a tempo map created in PT to Cubase or DP and it follows it as it should. But once STRETCH is enabled, all bets are off
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
No it works fine. I can import a tempo map created in PT to Cubase or DP and it follows it as it should. But once STRETCH is enabled, all bets are off
Hmm, haven't ever imported a tempo map, but taking an Apple Loop into DP, enabling Stretch and Cache, the loop follows the Conductor tracks tempo changes, even drastic ones. Disabled the loop doesn't follow the tempo at all. This is pretty cool, definitely going to make use of this for MPC samples etc.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Hmm, haven't ever imported a tempo map, but taking an Apple Loop into DP, enabling Stretch and Cache, the loop follows the Conductor tracks tempo changes, even drastic ones. Disabled the loop doesn't follow the tempo at all. This is pretty cool, definitely going to make use of this for MPC samples etc.
So maybe tonight I'll just record something directly in DP, some piano part or something, and then turn on stretch for that track, leave the conductor track and go to tempo slider and slow things down and see what happens. Will report back...

In Pro Tools, if you put the track in Elastic Audio mode (akin to stretch)...you can now disable the conductor track and playback at any speed you want. That's what STRETCH is supposed to do for DP...
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

UPDATE:

Wow.

So, I recorded a piano track, bounced it back into the session, and was not paying attention and recorded it in TEMPO SLIDER mode. Enabled STRETCH.

Click played with piano fine.

Slowed it WAY down.

STAYED WITH CLICK!

Oh my.

So now...let's see what happens when I change to Conductor track mode...

STAYS WITH CLICK!

OK now let me record the track first in conductor track mode, and enter some tempo changes, then bounce, then see if it all works...back shortly.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
UPDATE:

Wow.

So, I recorded a piano track, bounced it back into the session, and was not paying attention and recorded it in TEMPO SLIDER mode. Enabled STRETCH.

Click played with piano fine.

Slowed it WAY down.

STAYED WITH CLICK!

Oh my.

So now...let's see what happens when I change to Conductor track mode...

STAYS WITH CLICK!

OK now let me record the track first in conductor track mode, and enter some tempo changes, then bounce, then see if it all works...back shortly.
=======================

UPDATE 2

This time I recorded in Conductor Track mode. Introduced two rather extreme Tempo changes, bounced back into session, then enabled STRETCH while in Conductor mode....all was good.

Then, went to TEMPO slider mode, dragged the BPM down a bit, and again things worked perfectly. They did not follow the tempo changes of the conductor track, but that's fine, neither does PT, it just stays at a steady slower tempo, whatever you set.

SO...this means I have to do any tempo mapping I need in DP, which I am dreading, as I've tried it and although it similar to Cubase in that you just grab bar lines move them around, in practice it's pretty frustrating, but maybe I'll get faster at it......

So things are looking up...for the way I need to use this anyway!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's cool, a lot of this might be .0 bugs IMO. I had a really weird reaction out the door with Stretch, then it just worked..

Catching little GUI bugs as well. I recall MOTU being pretty good about catching the initial bugs in the first month or two unlike other DAWs I own. Longstanding bugs is the same as the rest unfortunately.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
SO...this means I have to do any tempo mapping I need in DP, which I am dreading, as I've tried it and although it similar to Cubase in that you just grab bar lines move them around, in practice it's pretty frustrating, but maybe I'll get faster at it......

Adjust Beats is the function that lets you drag bar lines in DP (to create a tempo map in the Conductor track). You can drag bar lines using MIDI or audio as a visual reference.

There's a snap feature in Adjust Beats that will snap to MIDI notes or found audio beats.

If I'm working with a typical rock song recorded with no click I usually snap to the obvious beats in the kick and snare tracks. If you're dealing with rubato music with not so obvious downbeats, one trick is to live record a MIDI click track. Tap along on a MIDI key while listening to the original music. When you play the MIDI track back it should click in time with the music. You can easily edit MIDI notes that are ahead or behind, but once you're done you have an obvious MIDI click. Now use adjust beats and snap to the MIDI notes.

Work from left to right. Play the built-in DP metronome to check your work. When the DP click matches the musical tempo you know the tempo map is correct.

On the first beat adjustment pass select the option to Apply Adjusted Beats tempo until end of sequence or Move all following beats by the same amount. Once you have a rough tempo map you can adjust individual beats without wiping out the rest of the tempo map. For that select Move one beat at a time.

Dave
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search