The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DP 10 Announced!
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamproject View Post
For sure a spectrogram editing is destructive and need to be made at the soundfile, still my guess is that if they put effort in an algorithm to visualise audio in a spectrogram manner, editing should be on the agenda...and will be great !!!

Best
Zam
I think Izotope software allows you to do non-detructive editing in a spectrogram view. My understanding is that you can only view one or two channels at a time, there is long latency, and big CPU overhead.

Anything is possible in the future!

I do dialog editing every day. The first thing I noticed with DP10 is when I drag a soundbite in the Sequence editor, the waveform stays visible as I drag. Seems like a small thing but it made an immediate difference to my workflow.

Dave
Old 19th February 2019
One thing I noticed (still in version 10 demo mode). If you change tempos with lots of tracks - I have about 200 - the CPU does get very taxed figuring out the math with so many tracks which is why they have the new audio Cache Folder and feature to save those tempo mapped files with many time edits into a new single file. Pregen has made even version 9 a lot more CPU friendly but we can only ask so much of our systems.
Old 19th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamproject View Post
Hello Dave

No issue with DP10 running across DP9 ? I want to demo DP10 but need DP9 to not be corrupted by upgrade installer...

Is there now a spectral editor ? since they add spectral view in DP9 I suppose the goal is to have edition one day...

Best
Zam
In 10 you can save as version 9 or even earlier. Its an option. Of course we will probably have any version 10 features removed when going back to 9.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
Yes if it were not for the couple of tolls this could be a very good source of information. Motu has emailed me personally about some software issue I had posted in GS so they seem to be paying attention. I have my own personal wish list which I would go into if not for certain people attacking Motu's credibility as a company. Really, people who run that course are the ones with no credibility. Companies have real people with feelings running them. MOTU works hard to have great products just like all the other DAW companies. The kind of dysfunctional angry attacking that goes on in GS is the reason lots of professions have given up even looking at it. I am one of those that hardly even bothers any more. Some of the trolls that visit the GS forums have already been booted off other forums. GS is way too lenient.
Running the DP10 demo, trying to learn as much as I can. So far very impressed, partially as I used Performer as a sequencer all through the 80s/90s and it feels a little like home to me, though it's still a lot to learn as I've been in PT and lately Cubase 10.

So far the only things that are kind of hard to get used to is where I click in the tracks window, if I'm not REALLY carefully I highlight (huge column extends down the window) rather than just looking for the cursor to change into the little green indicator for locating. I wish more DAWS acted like PT and allowed you to just click anywhere in the main window for locating.

Feature wise the only thing I'm really missing is options in the bounce dialog ...like PT and Cubase, where you can bounce the main mix, as well as any individual outputs, busses or tracks.

Overall though I really find it impressive and will just have to plow through and learn as I go....
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

2017 I bought DP 9.5. The last time I used DP was version 3! I made a living then off of DP for about 6 years. The last time I used it in 2005, I couldn’t afford to port all of my plug-ins to the latest DP that paired with the brand new OSX. So I stayed where I was. Now I work for my own pleasure and I have the latest DP.

I also bought Logic in 2017. Mainly because it paired with my Kontakt Komplete 11 and the S61 keyboard. It was maddening trying to learn Logic but I eventually got going.

Looking at DP 9.5 I was initially very underwhelmed and surprised where it was 7 editions later. But I started using it again. And here is where I am going to tell you why Digital Performer is a very professional software. This is a program that sits on a bedrock of development stretching back to the 90’s. As well, I have not seen any DAW out of the box that has the quality stock plug-ins that DP has.

I knew that I would probably not mix in Logic fairly quickly. DP offers a faster workflow and I want to say a more professional finished product. Lots of DAW’s offer a faster way to get going as a sketch pad for songs and I find Logic to be so. Especially the Drummer feature and how that locks to the arrangement markers. And that is all well and good for a program that is around $200.

That really isn’t DPs strength though. It is in project management and heavy lifting on a stable platform. That is as it seems a not so shiny new feature to DP; so people are not mesmerized by it. But when you are running 48 plus tracks in a DAW with a lot of plug-ins (including the mastering chain), DP is there for you. And they offer stock plug-ins that I would feel completely comfortable using if I owned none other.

I never used the clippings or sound bites windows in DP but with the new features of just drag and drop and the control over track play time, automation, order etc.. and the ability to just play those from my Maschine pads, I am totally there. That to me is the big reveal for DP 10 and it is brilliant.

15 years ago you chose a DAW and you stuck with it. Nowadays, we can use DAWs just for one particular strength, which I think is great. But I think comparing DP to another program that is in that $200 range and is primarily strong in one aspect (DJing and beat making for sure) is very short sighted. DP offers a hell of a lot more and it should for the money and the history of the program.

So use what you want for whatever you like but please don’t compare apples to oranges. When you look under the hood of these DAWs, DP is still a top 3 contender in sound, reliability and fast workflow.

Pat
Old 20th February 2019
I just started an album in 9.52. Got drums, bass, and keys done on 12 songs. Am sooo tempted to upgrade, but more than a little scared.

It sounds like you can save as version 9; which would save what I've got. Say I start tracking in 10 and run into problems. Can you save what you've done and go back to 9? How stable is 10? Running maybe 40 at most audio tracks.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Just installed the demos on Windows and macOS. The former is running on an iMac I7-2600 (boot camp) and the latter on a year later i7-3xxx. DP10 is okay on the latter, but rendering is noticeably slow on the former. I wouldn't say it was a deal killer, but the lag was a bit painful. It wasn't exactly snappy on the macOS machine, but it was definitely more tolerable. I'm guessing this means you need a more recent, more powerful PC, to really run it well at least with Windows.

On the other hand, the scalable interface at least means I can finally take a decent look at it.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
I just started an album in 9.52. Got drums, bass, and keys done on 12 songs. Am sooo tempted to upgrade, but more than a little scared.

It sounds like you can save as version 9; which would save what I've got. Say I start tracking in 10 and run into problems. Can you save what you've done and go back to 9? How stable is 10? Running maybe 40 at most audio tracks.
Wait until others have dealt with the pain, or reported that the water is safe.
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post

What I do is save a version of the song as songX_DP10.dpdoc This way if you run into a crippling bug you can go back to the version that you 100% know will open in DP9.

Warning to all really, DP10 takes over preferences for DP9, mostly it doesn't mess them up, but control surface support is hosed. This might be because I'm running a Slate Raven though, which requires extensive control surface support. The workaround to getting the Raven working in DP10 is to open DP9, then the Raven, close 9 then open 10, which might be the real reason the preferences in 9 are messed up.
Old 20th February 2019
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Running the DP10 demo, trying to learn as much as I can. So far very impressed, partially as I used Performer as a sequencer all through the 80s/90s and it feels a little like home to me, though it's still a lot to learn as I've been in PT and lately Cubase 10.

So far the only things that are kind of hard to get used to is where I click in the tracks window, if I'm not REALLY carefully I highlight (huge column extends down the window) rather than just looking for the cursor to change into the little green indicator for locating. I wish more DAWS acted like PT and allowed you to just click anywhere in the main window for locating.

Feature wise the only thing I'm really missing is options in the bounce dialog ...like PT and Cubase, where you can bounce the main mix, as well as any individual outputs, busses or tracks.

Overall though I really find it impressive and will just have to plow through and learn as I go....
I'll look forward to reading your reports. I looked at both DP 9.x and Cubase 9.x last year as a composing / arranging sidecar for Pro Tools. Neither inspired me enough to commit to the learning curve. While Cubase 10 seems mostly a facelift, DP 10 has certainly added features useful for arranging (clips) plus they have apparently fixed the tiny font issue. My sidecar of choice currently is Bitwig 2.5 (v3 coming) - still a learning curve but so far so good.

Regards,
Sky
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Head

So what is good about this DAW? They provide a discount for users of competitive DAWs. Live is one of those DAWs. I am a Live user and I'm curious.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Casanovas View Post
So what is good about this DAW? They provide a discount for users of competitive DAWs. Live is one of those DAWs. I am a Live user and I'm curious.
Hello

So download the 30 days trial and see by yourself

Best
Zam
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Casanovas View Post
I take good to mean different.

Live users can grasp this a little easier I believe, but here goes:
DP is a full featured DAW, that also incorporates a sort of sequence within sequence approach in Chunks. Chunks are pretty much "parts", and it's kind of confusing but there are three main types, Sequence, V-Racks and Song Chunks.

V- Racks - are what you think they might be virtual racks of instrument's, either Aux tracks to hardware or with reverbs etc. on them for sends or VSTi/AU instrument tracks. I will sometime put a master fader there as well.

Sequence Chunks- This is just like every other DAW, a sequencer timeline for audio and MIDI, what you see in the arrangement windows of DP, you can have as many of these in a single DP project as you want. You can drag sequences into sequences, so sequences can be just parts of a song or a whole song. This to me is why I stay in DP a lot. I like the option to have parts of a song as separate sequences, or different versions of the song in different stages. It's really easy to have 5-6 versions of a song in other programs, and in DP the pure MIDI version is just another Sequence Chunk.

Songs- This I and most people hardly ever use, but if you have everything in V-Racks and feel like working on a song as separate parts, you can arrange them in this window. Some film composers use this window to arrange all the themes for a film score etc. and you can have multiple Song Chunks.

The caveat to working on songs as multiple Chunks is you will want to have everything in a V-Rack, which is not capable of using track automation (since it doesn't exist in a track), so if you're workflow is after MIDI notes are in place to pencil in automation via scrolling through automation windows or record a knob move on a soft synth with track automation, then it's back to MIDI learn for you.

Beyond that, it's a very mature DAW, there's probably a way to do most of what you throw at it. Unique to DP is that the Tracks Overview is a separate window from the Sequence Editor, and both perform as the Arrangement window does in Live, but with extensive audio editing in the Sequence and more shortcuts and ways to move data around in the Tracks window than in Live's arrangement etc.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

The deal breaker for me was the bounce options...or lack thereof.

No way to bounce at anything but the sample rate your session is at. So if your session is at 48, that's what your mix will be. You'll have to reimport your mix and convert the files. Or use another utility outside DP. Not exactly a workflow enhancer.

And forget bouncing your whole mix, and JUST the lead vocal at the same time, unlike Cubase and PT (and maybe others, I wouldn't know).

But yes otherwise chunks are a super feature, and I like the look and feel of the program a lot. I love all the sidebars that you can configure anyway you want.

Will revisit if they ever fix the lack of options in the Bounce dialog.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
The deal breaker for me was the bounce options...or lack thereof.

No way to bounce at anything but the sample rate your session is at. So if your session is at 48, that's what your mix will be. You'll have to reimport your mix and convert the files. Or use another utility outside DP. Not exactly a workflow enhancer.

And forget bouncing your whole mix, and JUST the lead vocal at the same time, unlike Cubase and PT (and maybe others, I wouldn't know).

But yes otherwise chunks are a super feature, and I like the look and feel of the program a lot. I love all the sidebars that you can configure anyway you want.

Will revisit if they ever fix the lack of options in the Bounce dialog.
Yeah, that's 100% my main gripe. As of now my way and most DP users way of dealing with this is freeze tracks, and bussing to record stems. If you're like me and use heavy plug ins, you're doing both. It's not the end of the world, but to me it's the one area where Reaper, Live etc. do it faster.
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear

I have actually had a change of heart. If I recall right my individual purchase of DP 9.5 was around $500. And now we have DP10, a big update for $199!

I know they have to have revenue for updates but the upgrade cost for DP10 really hurts both financially and rapport with the company.

Pat
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

You want them to go to a monthly subscription?
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

I don't.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear
Cool

10.1 released!
Old 16th June 2019

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search