The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Track groups/fades glitch -- is it just me?
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Track groups/fades glitch -- is it just me?

I've been doing a lot of drum editing on my latest project, and I keep running into a problem with fades. I've got the drum tracks in a track group that includes "Soundbite Edges and Fades" as one of the group edit functions. So, whenever I make a fade in one track, the same fade should (if feasible) be made in all the other tracks in the group, right?

Well, sort of. Turns out that even though the other shared edit behaviors (select, move, edge edit) work for all tracks regardless of current display state, fades apply only to tracks that are currently visible in the sequence window. So every time I want to apply a fade, I have to remember to zoom out vertically until every drum track is visible.

This is incredibly annoying, and so counterintuitive that I keep running into it even though I should know better by now.

Is this a known bug, or is it for some reason a quirk of my system/version (I'm still on 9.13 because I'm superstitious about upgrading mid-project)? Is there a preference or other setting that could fix it?
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Don't know if this helps, but I always wait til I'm done editing the whole group of tracks, highlight everything, select "Fade" and apply the smallest crossfade I can get away with. I'll usually select "Delete Fades" first in case I've inadvertently applied any already.

Also - a good idea to Save As once you've listened through and then Merge Soundbites, so now you've got one continuous file. Your computer will breathe a lot easier. I also usually go into the Soundbites window and select "Remove Unused Soundbites" once I've merged them. Again, increases performance. You can always revert back if you find you missed something. Hope that helps.
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Sound View Post
Don't know if this helps, but I always wait til I'm done editing the whole group of tracks, highlight everything, select "Fade" and apply the smallest crossfade I can get away with. I'll usually select "Delete Fades" first in case I've inadvertently applied any already.

Also - a good idea to Save As once you've listened through and then Merge Soundbites, so now you've got one continuous file. Your computer will breathe a lot easier. I also usually go into the Soundbites window and select "Remove Unused Soundbites" once I've merged them. Again, increases performance. You can always revert back if you find you missed something. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tip on Delete Fades. I've avoided that command because I had recalled running into problems with it in the past, but those problems don't seem to be cropping up in my current system, so that may be the easiest way to deal with the issue. It's still a bug I'd like MOTU to fix, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search