The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are you guys using for transport control? Keyboard Controllers
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryBritton View Post
In the Commands editing dialog, at the top, there are a bunch of "Master" items. These need to be enabled for their section's controls to work, but most importantly, the one at the top (called the "Master master") controls them all. So, you need to have the Transport master AND the Master master checked or your changes will not do anything, as they will be effectively disabled.

Terry
Yeah I found it. No dice. I think I still have to use the old method of chaining the MPK to transmit CC, which is where the weird crap starts with DP.

I even have a retailer trying to hunt down a dedicated controller for me that will work and it's taking weeks with no luck so far.
Old 29th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
So, I'm not exactly sure why it's different with the AKAI, it's simply sending out CC115 through 119 for the transport controls of rewind, fast forward, play, stop and record respectively.
I was just the other day reading a 'speculation' by Magic Dave where he was thinking DP MIGHT need to see the controller values sending a 127 followed by a 0 in order for it to "release" the button. Only speculation - not tested yet.

I do have MidiOx here, and I'll look at it as soon as I can to see if any of my controllers act this way (sending 127 followed by 0). Maybe my Alesis QX49 does (it isn't hooked up, but I'll pull it out for this test).

Terry
Old 29th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradivus View Post
Yeah I found it. No dice. I think I still have to use the old method of chaining the MPK to transmit CC, which is where the weird crap starts with DP.

I even have a retailer trying to hunt down a dedicated controller for me that will work and it's taking weeks with no luck so far.
Probably the simplest dedicated controller option would be a simple wireless bluetooth keypad!

Here is a recent review article covering several out there currently:

The Best Wireless Numeric Keypads (2.4 Ghz & Bluetooth) in 2018-2019

And if you don't want any Bluetooth running on your production machine, just find a cheap wired keypad.

(I have a wireless bluetooth full computer keyboard sitting on top of my NI S-88, because I use the keyboard shortcuts a LOT in DP.)

Terry
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

Hello

I use a studer A810 transport remote, moded to work with MCU protocol, nothing special with it except the nice and big illuminated push buttons, as the rock solid construction.

Best
Zam
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryBritton View Post
Probably the simplest dedicated controller option would be a simple wireless bluetooth keypad!

Here is a recent review article covering several out there currently:

The Best Wireless Numeric Keypads (2.4 Ghz & Bluetooth) in 2018-2019

And if you don't want any Bluetooth running on your production machine, just find a cheap wired keypad.

(I have a wireless bluetooth full computer keyboard sitting on top of my NI S-88, because I use the keyboard shortcuts a LOT in DP.)

Terry
Nice. Thanks, Terry. I use the keypad commands constantly, so that would be perfect. The ones listed on that site seem to use batteries, but I'll check around for one I can charge through USB. I already use Bluetooth for the Apple mouse.

I'm actually looking for a fader controller atm. So far the best single-channel affordable one seems to be Presonus FaderPort, but most of the buttons don't work with DP—automation mode, next track, previous track, etc. It does seem to support transport though. I don't know why the hell they won't update this aspect of the software.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I found this one. Looks likes an Apple keyboard. It's a bit wide but also has the arrow keys (for switching tracks) and it has a built-in lithium battery and charges over USB.

Never heard of the brand though. I'm sure there's more out there though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search