The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DP 9.52 crashing with Omnisphere - Please help!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

DP 9.52 crashing with Omnisphere - Please help!

MOTU DP9 crashes when Omnisphere 2 loads

Hello! I would appreciate any advice that might help me solve this problem! I have been troubleshooting for a few days, with no positive outcome so far. Yikes!!

Here is what I have found so far:

Motu DP 9.52 consistently crashes when Omnisphere loads with 4 or more sounds saved to it.
It will load a blank Omnisphere (no sounds loaded in it) ok. But when I add more than 3 sounds to that Omni, it crashes.
I tested DP without the Omni plugin selected in DP preferences, and DP works fine with KONTAKT, audio, etc.. Also tested it with one hour of 7 stereo tracks of audio only, and DP works without a problem.

DP crashes when I try to play back 1 instance of Omni with more than 4 sounds loaded. When I load and audition in Lite mode, it helps, but doesn’t fix the problem.

The DP processing meter spikes to maximum just before it crashes.
Playback meter is normal.

It all worked fine 5 days ago, until it crashed unexpectedly as DP was loading Omni.
I have been working with DP for decades, so am not a newbie.. However, I am not an expert at analyzing the problem when things go wrong.

I think I have all the latest updates except for High Sierra, (and wanted to wait on that if possible.) I ran disk first aid on the hard drive and it shows no problem.

My studio gear has gone to the dark side. Please help me bring it back!

thanks, kat

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Mac Pro (Early 2009)
Processor 2.66 Ghz 6-Core Xeon
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR#
MOTU DP 9.52 (64 bit)
Omnisphere version 2.4.2c (64 bit)
Sound sources v.2.0.1c
Omni patches v2.4.0d
Applications and STEAM on the same internal HD with 276GB available
DP9 hardware driver sample rate set to 44100
Buffer size 1024
Work Priority Medium
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Not sure what your Hard drive is, but you should probably put your STEAM and other samples on a different drive than your app and maybe even DP project file. And that drive should really be an SSD (if you don't have that already). I don't know if that's tied to your crashing, but I know Omni is a cpu hog and DP doesn't like to get overloaded and sometime crashes when it does (or at least it did with me before).
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by katepple View Post

Hello! I would appreciate any advice that might help me solve this problem! I have been troubleshooting for a few days, with no positive outcome so far. Yikes!!

Here is what I have found so far:

Motu DP 9.52 consistently crashes when Omnisphere loads with 4 or more sounds saved to it.
It will load a blank Omnisphere (no sounds loaded in it) ok. But when I add more than 3 sounds to that Omni, it crashes.
I tested DP without the Omni plugin selected in DP preferences, and DP works fine with KONTAKT, audio, etc.. Also tested it with one hour of 7 stereo tracks of audio only, and DP works without a problem.

DP crashes when I try to play back 1 instance of Omni with more than 4 sounds loaded. When I load and audition in Lite mode, it helps, but doesn’t fix the problem.

The DP processing meter spikes to maximum just before it crashes.
Playback meter is normal.

It all worked fine 5 days ago, until it crashed unexpectedly as DP was loading Omni.
I have been working with DP for decades, so am not a newbie.. However, I am not an expert at analyzing the problem when things go wrong.

I think I have all the latest updates except for High Sierra, (and wanted to wait on that if possible.) I ran disk first aid on the hard drive and it shows no problem.

My studio gear has gone to the dark side. Please help me bring it back!

thanks, kat

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Mac Pro (Early 2009)
Processor 2.66 Ghz 6-Core Xeon
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR#
MOTU DP 9.52 (64 bit)
Omnisphere version 2.4.2c (64 bit)
Sound sources v.2.0.1c
Omni patches v2.4.0d
Applications and STEAM on the same internal HD with 276GB available
DP9 hardware driver sample rate set to 44100
Buffer size 1024
Work Priority Medium
Have you thought of getting VE Pro? I run it on the same machine as DP, and it is way more stable than running VIs in DP. I’d never go back.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by katepple View Post

You mentioned you have 16 gigs of RAM. This is probably not enough to run any sort of sampling keyboards like Omnisphere. I have 64 gigs and that is sometimes all used in Omnisphere if I am running multi setups.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank you Sergievsky, toodamnhip, and AudioSoundzz for your very helpful suggestions. I will explore all of those options.

I am not sure if any of these suggestions explain why my system was working fine for several months, then suddenly now consistently crashes.

I know I need to upgrade to SSDs but it seems like I should be able to make this configuration work again, at least until I can get some $$ together.

Thanks again!
kat
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

You can test to see if the problem is specific to DP or to Omni.

Run Garageband. Garageband will host AU instruments. Does Omni work any different in Garageband as compared to DP?

Dave
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Good thinking, Davo.

Kat, the disk speed will have no bearing on the crashing; the instruments / patches will either load or they won't.

Have you tried loading only "small" patches? That said, I can't imagine 4 patches' occupying so much memory (the 16G less whatever DP and your other apps are using) in Omni unless they're Keyscape ones being hosted there, but worth a shot maybe.

Also, try quitting Safari and any other "unnecessary" apps before firing DP up and loading the Omni patches. I had an issue with iZotope that even they couldn't explain, but it was Safari v9 or v10.x, and if it was running, I could never load iZotope plugins in-sequence, only 1, then go to another manufacturer, then back to iZotope.

Upgrading Safari actually fixed this, and I was on Sierra at the time too, which is partly why I'm mentioning it. Again, try disabling all other apps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search