The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New computer? Is it my processor or hard drive?
Old 28th May 2018
Here for the gear

New computer? Is it my processor or hard drive?

I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad core Intel Xeon, 40 GB ram. Running Sierra. Since I've both upgraded to DP 9.51 and started mixing ITB, this thing has gotten REALLY slow. Just even things like - I used to be able to hit Save while playing back audio or even while recording, no prob. Now it has to stop and think. Recently I did a live big band recording direct from an X32, 28 tracks.
Brought the studio computer. SLOOOW. 30 seconds of spinning beach ball to process every time recording stopped. The second night, I switched to my early 2015 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5). 8GB ram, 500GB SSD. It smoked the Mac Pro. Lightening fast. Wondering - is it the SSD? The processor? Both? Was thinking about the new iMac Pro for the studio, but $5k - geez. Then I thought maybe just get a hot rodded iMac with SSD...but almost as much...or is it worth putting an SSD in my Mac Pro? I have (4) 1TB drives in there now but only one is for "in progress" stuff. One is the system drive. The other two just archived stuff.
Appreciate any and all informed opinions. Thanks!
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Sound View Post
I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad core Intel Xeon, 40 GB ram. Running Sierra. Since I've both upgraded to DP 9.51 and started mixing ITB, this thing has gotten REALLY slow. Just even things like - I used to be able to hit Save while playing back audio or even while recording, no prob. Now it has to stop and think. Recently I did a live big band recording direct from an X32, 28 tracks.
Brought the studio computer. SLOOOW. 30 seconds of spinning beach ball to process every time recording stopped. The second night, I switched to my early 2015 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5). 8GB ram, 500GB SSD. It smoked the Mac Pro. Lightening fast. Wondering - is it the SSD? The processor? Both? Was thinking about the new iMac Pro for the studio, but $5k - geez. Then I thought maybe just get a hot rodded iMac with SSD...but almost as much...or is it worth putting an SSD in my Mac Pro? I have (4) 1TB drives in there now but only one is for "in progress" stuff. One is the system drive. The other two just archived stuff.
Under the Studio menu open the Background Processing window. Do a record pass and check what you see there. What you expect to see after a record pass is a message saying waveform overviews are being built. What you may also see are messages that DP is analyzing the audio.
DP can analyze new audio for pitch, beats, and tempo. If you are doing long record passes with those preferences engaged, as soon as you stop recording DP goes to work and you'll see that in the Background Processing window. These functions can be turned off in the DP preferences>Background Processing.

Dave
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Sound View Post
An ssd for the system drive will help but instead of putting it in one of the drive bays put it on an adapter card and in a free pcie slot. I have a 2012 MacPro with single 3.46 GHz hex core cpu. When I got it from OWC it had a 1 TB 7200 rpm spinner as system drive. When I was satisfied everything worked okay I got a Samsung 1TB 850 EVO ssd and first put it in one of the drive bays. When that worked okay I moved the 850 to a pcie adapter card in the pcie slot next to the video card (adapter card from OWC). That really sped things up. Boot time from chime to usable desktop about 15 seconds. Overall operations were faster as well.

I also jumped from the original 4x8gig ram sticks to 3 16 gig ram sticks and that helped a bit. How are your ram sticks configured? Because the cheesegraters are triple channel ram they work faster with three (not four) identical ram sticks for each side. Better still if all 6 ram sticks are the same size & spec.

Those 4 spinners you have - are they all 7200 rpm? You're not letting them sleep are you?
Old 16th June 2018
Lives for gear

I’d upgrade the boot drive and recording drive to SSD. You can buy a pair of X5690(3.46GHz) CPUs off of eBay for about $200 to replace those 2.24GHz CPUs. This will allow you to use 1333MHz memory instead of 1066MHz memory If you want to invest in a little faster memory.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search