The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hi is DP a good replacement for Logic Pro X
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi is DP a good replacement for Logic Pro X

Hi DP Community

I shortly decide for a new DAW for my Windows HDX Machine...
Is DP a good Logic Pro X replacement or should i go with Cubase Pro...
Is Dp similar in workflow as Logic

Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
Hi DP Community

Thanks
What is an Windows HDX machine? The only thing close to HDX would be ProTools. You're running Logic on a Windoze computer? That's impossible as Logic is Mac only (unless you're running a Hackintosh).
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Sry for the confusion

I always used Protools and Logic for a long time... I still use Logic Pro X now on my Mac Pro 12 Core...
But next to that hardware, i switched to a Windows Worksation with HDX Hardware, cause i am tired of waiting for a new Mac Pro. Everything is working fine with Protools Ultimate, but i search for a Logic Pro X replacement, cause PT still has problems with midi and i really like the workflow of Logic Pro 9 and X for Midi and softsynths...
I remember, how a friend proudly showed me Digital Performer on Mac a long time ago.
Now DP is available on Windows and my question is... How is the DP Workflow compared to Logic...especially in Midi...

Everyone says, i should choose Cubase, but i am interested in Digital Performer. Other Daws like Reaper aren´t for me.
I am so in this Protools Logic Workflow and i need Eucon Compatibility for my S3 and PTDock...

So i ve come here to ask you DP Users

PS: Funny, I still have my old Dongle from my Emagic Logic 5 (till 7 which was mac only) Platinum and tried it...
Logic 5 still works under Win10 with the usb dongle connected... A really nostalgic moment...:-)

Last edited by AlogicUser; 22nd April 2018 at 04:12 PM..
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
A windows HDX Machine is a computer running windows 10 and Protools Ultimate with HDX Hardware...:-)
I use Logic Pro X on my Mac Pro 12 core with an Avid HDN Card, but i search for an alternative on windows and thought DP could be the one...
My qestion how is the Workflow of DP compared to Logic....
Cause Logic is Mac only...
How is Midi working in DP... Protools Ultimate is a great Daw, but midi is still a problem...Logic X is great in Midi... How about Digital Performer...
Thanks for the clarification as your original post was quite confusing; you gave no indication that you had a second computer (Mac).

I can't speak to Logic but DP & PT in OSX 10.10.5

MIDI in DP has some issues with regards to automation. Check in at Motunation for more. Also DP only has relative grid versus both grid styles in PT. Coming from PT you'll find other oddities like DP's instrument track is not a true instrument track as it only hosts a vi unlike PT's implementation that hosts both the vi and MIDI. No vca's like in current PT.

Any particular reason you want to run DP on the Windoze machine? Remember that DP was first a Mac only program and it's only been available on Windows these last couple of years. MOTU still has a very Mac-centric bent so take that for whatever it's worth. DP on Mac can use au or vst plugins; DP on Windoze is vst only. No vst3 support as of this writing.

I'd say download the 30 day free fully functioning DP9 demo and see how it works for you. There's only one version which does everything unlike the stratification of Pro Tools. And even better no iLok is needed.

Something that was a major disappointment is that no new DP version was announced at this past Winter NAMM.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

musicman691...

Thank you very much for your reply... Ohhh seems, that DP has some problems and a strange approach to things like VI...
But before i go with Cubase Pro 9.5 as LPX replacement on windows, i will try the demo... Again as i wrote before, it was great to see how my friend showed me DP on Mac...He was really fast in working with DP...impressing...
But i never changed my Logic Protools Workflow... It was so great to work with Emagic Logic Platinum 5 and Protools TDM 5 on OS9 a long time ago... Logic 6 was crap, 7 was great...Logic 8 was full of bugs and not usable...Logic 9 fixed alot... and X is great... I don´t like the gui, but ok...

Protools Ultimate runs great on Windows, but for Midi and Softsynths, its not so good...
So i want a Daw for Midi, Softsynths... and it must be Eucon compatible... So no Reaper and co...

Last edited by AlogicUser; 22nd April 2018 at 07:01 PM..
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi DP Community

Thanks
Workflow-wise, Cubase is more similar to Logic than DP. Logic and Cubase are each evenly balanced with audio and MIDI functionality. Both include full scoring capabilities iincluding drum/percussion notation.

DP has an elegant interface - my favorite over LPX and Cubase - but it does not include MIDI containers (regions or parts) but rather one linear MIDI track. It's functional but will require an adjustment in your workflow muscle memory compared to learning Cubase. The Quickscribe notation is very clean but doesn't included drum notation or slashes for rhythm.

My impression is that development of DP over the past 10 years or so has been in favor of audio editing rather than MIDI functionality. Since you have ProTools and want a DAW with comprehensive MIDI, you're best bet is to download demos of DP and Cubase (which will require a USB eLicenser dongle).

Here's a video on using MIDI with DP
YouTube

From MOTU
YouTube

If you go with DP, then perhaps your friend can provide you with personal instruction on how best to use DP.

From the Steinberg channel
YouTube

Demos
Cubase
Try Cubase now for 30 days for free | Steinberg

DP
MOTU.com - Download
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
musicman691...

Thank you very much for your reply... Ohhh seems, that DP has some problems and a strange approach to things like VI...
But before i go with Cubase Pro 9.5 as LPX replacement on windows, i will try the demo... Again as i wrote before, it was great to see how my friend showed me DP on Mac...He was really fast in woring with DP...impressing...
Something to keep in mind about what your friend showed you and that is he more likely than not has many years of experience with it and knows all the shortcuts and workarounds for things that would be issues for someone coming from PT. There are just some things in DP that the manual doesn't begin to answer; the poor organization of said manual leaves a LOT to be desired.

Something I didn't mention is the gui in DP is WAY cluttered compared to PT. Couple that with absurdly small fonts with no way to change them (especially if you work on a screen with the resolution of a 27 inch iMac) - that was the system I used to run before I got my 2012 cheesegrater.

I only got into DP when Avid started this monkey business with subscriptions and no more updates for life (like PT11 and earlier).

One more thing - I mentioned Motunation earlier. It's not the friendliest of forums especially for newcomers to the program and even more so for people running Windows. I used to be a member there (twice) but left because of the BS I had to put up with. Try suggesting that DP have true instrument tracks like PT and you had better have your asbestos underwear on.
Old 23rd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Try suggesting that DP have true instrument tracks like PT and you had better have your asbestos underwear on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search