The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU Ultralite Questions Audio Interfaces
Old 17th March 2018
Here for the gear

MOTU Ultralite Questions

Hi I'm looking into getting a used MOTU ultralite but have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

I'm running Logic X from a macbook air (mid 2013) with osx sierra.

1) Which units are compatible with my system? Would you recommend using a firewire to thunderbolt adapter?

2) I hear that sometimes the display stops working. Is the machine operational when this happens?

3) How repairable are these units?

4) Is it recommended to get a newer unit or would an older one suffice?

Thank you for your time!
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat roze View Post
Hi I'm looking into getting a used MOTU ultralite but have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

I'm running Logic X from a macbook air (mid 2013) with osx sierra.

1) Which units are compatible with my system? Would you recommend using a firewire to thunderbolt adapter?

2) I hear that sometimes the display stops working. Is the machine operational when this happens?

3) How repairable are these units?

4) Is it recommended to get a newer unit or would an older one suffice?

Thank you for your time!
1. A. Probably all fairly modern ones. B. I wouldn't recommend purchasing FireWire anything in 2018.
2. Probably, within the software editor on the computer.
3. No one really "repairs" interfaces that I have seen. There are a few companies that "upgrade" or modify them but most likely the cost of all but the most basic of repairs would exceed the value of the interface.
4. Newer. Even second hand current model if you have to.
Old 17th March 2018
Deleted User
MOTU has a flat fee (+shipping) exchange for broken units. The last time I used it, it was $95. I think it has gone up some - give customer service a call to find out the current rates. I did an 828mkII exchange 4 years ago, but they've since discontinued the exchange service for that unit. So they do abandon units at some time, but 828mkII is somewhere in the 20 year old arena - 15,16 years of repair service is pretty solid.
Old 21st March 2018
Here for the gear

Is the exchange program available only for new units or used units? Is it something you opt into when you buy a new unit or can you make use of it with a used unit as well, provided the support for the unit is still available?
Old 21st March 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat roze View Post
Is the exchange program available only for new units or used units? Is it something you opt into when you buy a new unit or can you make use of it with a used unit as well, provided the support for the unit is still available?
Call MOTU Customer Service - they are very helpful and they'll be able to give you a definitive answer. My take on it is you only have to register your ownership, new or used, to be able to start a support case. I purchased both my MOTU units new, so no experience with used.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search