The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MTC freewheel sync DAW Software
Old 17th February 2018
Here for the gear

MTC freewheel sync

Hello everyone,

I'm running a redundant playback system for live shows and I'm trying to improve how my two computers sync with each other using MTC.

I'm running Digital Performer 9.5 on both machines. I'm able to generate MTC with the A machine and send it over to the B machine via USB. The B DAW is set to slave mode, sees incoming MTC and sync transport to the A machine, so far so good.

Problem is, Digital Performer doesn't have a freewheel (or sync jam) option. Meaning when A stops, B stops too, which defeats the purpose of having a back up computer.

I've been lokking everywhere for a software MTC reader that could pass thru my MTC and would keep generating timecode in case A drops out. I found solutions for LTC/SMPTE but never MTC.

Would anyone know of a software/plugin that could do this for me? Or any input would be great!

Thank you
Old 27th February 2018
Deleted User
This may help. I cant find what you are wanting either YouTube

Horae

Last edited by Deleted User; 27th February 2018 at 12:42 AM..
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Guru

interestingly the guy in the video mentions a case where one might use SMPTE.
which means in this case he doesn't use it. so that must mean that how he applies his use case there, is he must rely on a start condition which trigger two computers at the same time. then relies on the fact that they are both accurate dependent on their sample rate.

so you could maybe apply the same logic and use MMC to trigger a start from computer to the other. or use a midi event which triggers a start on the other. so because there is no stop event, the slave should carry on if the master crashes.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Addict

There are two general ways people set up redundant playback systems. You can have a single MIDI control point that sends the same commands to both computers. When you send a play command both machines play. If one machine stops the other is unaware and just keeps playing.

The second method is to generate LTC SMPTE from the A machine and use a hardware synchronizer that does freewheel to convert the LTC back to MTC.

Dave
Old 28th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
There are two general ways people set up redundant playback systems. You can have a single MIDI control point that sends the same commands to both computers. When you send a play command both machines play. If one machine stops the other is unaware and just keeps playing.

The second method is to generate LTC SMPTE from the A machine and use a hardware synchronizer that does freewheel to convert the LTC back to MTC.

Dave
Dave, which way do the big acts do this as you cant have it going down with lights and video all syncing? I know they will use a Radial switcher for the audio when one drops out. The sync is where it gets blurry for most of us
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Dave, which way do the big acts do this as you cant have it going down with lights and video all syncing? I know they will use a Radial switcher for the audio when one drops out. The sync is where it gets blurry for most of us
The Radial switcher is commonly used for A-B switching. Typically playback engineers have a track of 1 Khz tone that is sent to the switcher. If the tone drops out the switcher goes to the B input.

DP is commonly used to run the entire show, including lights, video, staging, pyro, etc. On smaller rigs I've seen video playback and lighting cues sent directly from DP. On larger shows DP generates SMPTE, which is sent to video world, lighting world, etc.

For time code playback you can use the SMPTE-Z plug-in in DP to generate LTC SMPTE. Before we had that plug-in engineers would drop in an audio track with LTC. Depending on the model, MOTU audio interfaces can also generate LTC based on the DP timeline.

The goal is to make it so that if you switch between A and B systems the sync is frame accurate tight and you don't get any SMPTE skip or jump. If you do it right it works.

Dave
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search