The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DP 10 predictions Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6 days ago
  #61
Lives for gear
 
3rdpath's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I left Motunation because I got tired of King James's schtick. Want to know more - pm or email me.

As to whether MOTU has something great in store for DP nobody really knows least of all MOTU people or we would have heard something at NAMM. As evidenced in this thread there's a bunch of stuff we'd like to see done but MOTU doesn't seem to have a great history of listening to the masses. They'd rather give us useless guitar pedals and deprecated instruments like MX4. In that vein well probably see Mach Five Three in DP10 considering development and bug fixes on that stopped years ago.
Ha! I'd forgotten about the rock guitar god that is Mr Steele. I always found him amusing...and was grateful that he put the forum together. It certainly helped me figure out a few things thru the course of my earlier composing/recording days.

As far as Motu goes, I sure hope they jump forward a few years into the modern composing/recording methodology. Mach 5 was great in its day...somewhere I have a huge stash of converted libraries that were the backbone of my composing. I think it would be fairly useless these days...would be like a 3rd party Kontakt. Oh well, guess we'll see what, if anything, happens.
Old 6 days ago
  #62
Gear Addict
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Compared to Logic, DP is hopelessly behind, because it doesn't have Logic's panning options, a sampler, Match EQ, Drummer tracks, blah, blah, blah..


Compared to DP, Logic is hopelessly behind, because it doesn't have Track overview, tracks movable in the mixer, Meter Bridge, independent show/hide tracks, Themes, blah, blah, blah...
Compared to PT DP is hopelessly behind:
no true pan
no true instrument tracks
too busy of a gui with too small fonts
even with the themes has an ugly flat gui

and too much more to add
Old 6 days ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Compared to PT DP is hopelessly behind:
no true pan
no true instrument tracks
too busy of a gui with too small fonts
even with the themes has an ugly flat gui

and too much more to add

I don't think you quite got what I was trying to say, otherwise you would have mentioned features where PT is 'hopelessly behind' DP, like the dongle, software rental business model, updates always way behind OS updates, etc.


My point was: every DAW has advantages and disadvantages over any other DAW. Choosing between DAWs is more a matter of taste and personal preference, than any DAW being 'behind' any other DAW.


PT, DP, LPX - all fantastic DAWs, with slightly different feature sets and price points.
Old 6 days ago
  #64
Gear Addict
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
I don't think you quite got what I was trying to say, otherwise you would have mentioned features where PT is 'hopelessly behind' DP, like the dongle, software rental business model, updates always way behind OS updates, etc.


My point was: every DAW has advantages and disadvantages over any other DAW. Choosing between DAWs is more a matter of taste and personal preference, than any DAW being 'behind' any other DAW.


PT, DP, LPX - all fantastic DAWs, with slightly different feature sets and price points.
Oh I got what you were getting at. I actually like the dongle as it sure beats the hell out of other licensing systems where you so much as sneeze and you need a new authorization. Plus with the dongle I can take my auths wherever I work.

The rental model doesn't bother me either because you can still buy a permanent license - you just won't get PT updates after the period ends whether that be a month or a year.

And updates behind OS updates doesn't bother me either. Not everybody updates their operating system on a basis of 'this is a new os update and I must have it'. If a system is stable then why muck about with it.

A lot of people praise DP's MIDI capability versus any other daw particularly PT's. After working with both programs (and once having praised DP over PT for MIDI) I find working with MIDI a lot easier in PT than MIDI. Try moving a block of MIDI like in PT in DP and it can't be done because DP doesn't have object oriented editing of MIDI like PT.

Track folders is the one area where DP wipes the floor with PT.

Truth be told I cringe whenever I have to work in DP anymore. And I never mix in DP unless I want to punish my liver with mass quantities of whiskey from Kentucky (or Tennessee).
Old 6 days ago
  #65
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdpath View Post
That's good to know. I certainly appreciate your accessibility (and your NAMM demos.) I haven't been on Motunation in years and have no idea what's the hot topic over there.

So, Is Motu cooking up some big additions in 10?
Sorry, I can only talk about existing products or products that have been "officially announced". It's a safe assumption that our engineers are always working on something new.

Dave
Old 6 days ago
  #66
Gear Addict
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
Sorry, I can only talk about existing products or products that have been "officially announced". It's a safe assumption that our engineers are always working on something new.

Dave
I must say, and I'm sure you know, that a lot of people are highly disappointed that nothing was announced about DP10 (DPX) at Winter NAMM. DP9 is way long in the tooth and due (desperately due) for major rework. Are we supposed to wait another year?
Old 5 days ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I must say, and I'm sure you know, that a lot of people are highly disappointed that nothing was announced about DP10 (DPX) at Winter NAMM. DP9 is way long in the tooth and due (desperately due) for major rework. Are we supposed to wait another year?
I personally wouldn't mind waiting another year or more for a (paid) major update, as long as there are good (free) point updates with bug fixes in the meantime.

There are some annoying bugs at the moment, like crackling audio when you save during playback, that are, for me, more important to get fixed than getting new features, like, say, another set of new guitar amp models or pedal models.



That being said, I see your point, especially considering the recent Logic 10.4 update, which has a pretty amazing list of new features and bug fixes (and is free..).
Old 5 days ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 
3rdpath's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
There are some annoying bugs at the moment, like crackling audio when you save during playback, that are, for me, more important to get fixed than getting new features, like, say, another set of new guitar amp models or pedal models.
YES! That crackle when saving is a real buzzkill. I do saves during vocal sessions and it's definitely distracting to the vocalists. I don't recall that happening in any previous version.
Old 5 days ago
  #69
Gear Addict
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
I personally wouldn't mind waiting another year or more for a (paid) major update, as long as there are good (free) point updates with bug fixes in the meantime.

There are some annoying bugs at the moment, like crackling audio when you save during playback, that are, for me, more important to get fixed than getting new features, like, say, another set of new guitar amp models or pedal models.



That being said, I see your point, especially considering the recent Logic 10.4 update, which has a pretty amazing list of new features and bug fixes (and is free..).
What got in some people's craws is this NAMM, if MOTU had held to previous timings, would have seen DP10 announced.

For all the efficiency that DP has resource-wise I wonder if that's what may be causing the crackles which I have heard from time to time - they're not consistent. Maybe fixing that and other things requires such a rewrite of DP code MOTU is having trouble fixing the code? 9.02 is quiet for me; 9.51r2 is noisy as hell. Seems like it got worse with the next-gen pregen engine?
Old 5 days ago
  #70
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What got in some people's craws is this NAMM, if MOTU had held to previous timings, would have seen DP10 announced.

For all the efficiency that DP has resource-wise I wonder if that's what may be causing the crackles which I have heard from time to time - they're not consistent. Maybe fixing that and other things requires such a rewrite of DP code MOTU is having trouble fixing the code? 9.02 is quiet for me; 9.51r2 is noisy as hell. Seems like it got worse with the next-gen pregen engine?
Yeah maybe I'm just due for a change, but both my main DAWs disappointed me these last couple months. Ableton are charging $299 for mostly a few new instruments, and MOTU are now at three years without an upgrade to DP. I don't mind not being gouged every 2 years, but it's about time. So I finally got around to getting Logic X and diving into Reaper.

Sorry you've experienced issues with PreGen but it works right for me. In tests out of curiosity DP and Logic are on par CPU use wise, which is good. Using instances of noted CPU pig Diva playing the exact same MIDI file until right before the audio crackles and the DAW become unusable. The results were:

Logic and DP- 11 tracks

Reaper- 14

Live- 9

I don't know what Reaper is doing under the hood, but that's crazy good, Live has always been CPU hungry.
Old 5 days ago
  #71
Gear Addict
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Yeah maybe I'm just due for a change, but both my main DAWs disappointed me these last couple months. Ableton are charging $299 for mostly a few new instruments, and MOTU are now at three years without an upgrade to DP. I don't mind not being gouged every 2 years, but it's about time. So I finally got around to getting Logic X and diving into Reaper.

Sorry you've experienced issues with PreGen but it works right for me. In tests out of curiosity DP and Logic are on par CPU use wise, which is good. Using instances of noted CPU pig Diva playing the exact same MIDI file until right before the audio crackles and the DAW become unusable. The results were:

Logic and DP- 11 tracks

Reaper- 14

Live- 9

I don't know what Reaper is doing under the hood, but that's crazy good, Live has always been CPU hungry.
What buffer setting are you running in DP? Routinely for non-recording I run at 512.

That Ableton gouge - is that for a whole number version or just a point one? Seems about usual for a whole number update as compared to other daws.

Yeah pregen - it's been a nightmare for me especially for synths like VPS Avenger and anything else with wavetables and modulation of said items. And if I want to do real-time modulation I have to run in realtime. I would love if MOTU at least agve us back the ability to globally turn off pregen like they did in DP9.02 and then took it away.
Old 5 days ago
  #72
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What buffer setting are you running in DP? Routinely for non-recording I run at 512.

That Ableton gouge - is that for a whole number version or just a point one? Seems about usual for a whole number update as compared to other daws.

Yeah pregen - it's been a nightmare for me especially for synths like VPS Avenger and anything else with wavetables and modulation of said items. And if I want to do real-time modulation I have to run in realtime. I would love if MOTU at least agve us back the ability to globally turn off pregen like they did in DP9.02 and then took it away.
You can very easily get any plug into run in Real time by simply having the record enabled on the track your audio or midi is on. This is 100% testable with the new Effects Performance window in 9.51. Personally for the most part the plug i running in PG is much easier on the cpu than RT or real time.

DP is always $199, same with Logic, Reaper is $60 for people like me making less than 20k a year off music, Reason is $130, Cubase is in these numbers as well. Live is 1.5 times more expensive than most DAWs to upgrade, ProTools I don’t know about upgrade wise. I’m a musician first then engineer so Pro Tools never appealed to me.
Old 5 days ago
  #73
Gear Addict
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
You can very easily get any plug into run in Real time by simply having the record enabled on the track your audio or midi is on. This is 100% testable with the new Effects Performance window in 9.51. Personally for the most part the plug i running in PG is much easier on the cpu than RT or real time.

DP is always $199, same with Logic, Reaper is $60 for people like me making less than 20k a year off music, Reason is $130, Cubase is in these numbers as well. Live is 1.5 times more expensive than most DAWs to upgrade, ProTools I don’t know about upgrade wise. I’m a musician first then engineer so Pro Tools never appealed to me.
Having record enabled tracks just to get a synth to work in real time is a recipe for disaster or wasted time and is a workaround any way one looks at it. Especially if you're working with multiple synths. Give us a global turn off for pregen. CPU was and is never an issue for me. I don't have DIVA but do have VPS Avenger and have run 24 tracks/instances of it in DP at 512 with my system not even breathing hard. 2012 MacPro 3.46GHz hex core cpu and 48 gig ram running OSX 10.10.5

Actually Reaper is free if you don't mind dealing with the nag screen and that's why if you mention it over on that other DP forum it gets changed to R***** The PT price depends on a bunch of factors depending on whether you're current on either the monthly subscription or a yearly plan as well as whether you have PTHD or PT Vanilla.
Old 5 days ago
  #74
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Having record enabled tracks just to get a synth to work in real time is a recipe for disaster or wasted time and is a workaround any way one looks at it. Especially if you're working with multiple synths. Give us a global turn off for pregen. CPU was and is never an issue for me. I don't have DIVA but do have VPS Avenger and have run 24 tracks/instances of it in DP at 512 with my system not even breathing hard. 2012 MacPro 3.46GHz hex core cpu and 48 gig ram running OSX 10.10.5

Actually Reaper is free if you don't mind dealing with the nag screen and that's why if you mention it over on that other DP forum it gets changed to R***** The PT price depends on a bunch of factors depending on whether you're current on either the monthly subscription or a yearly plan as well as whether you have PTHD or PT Vanilla.
Avenger isn’t as much of a pig so yeah. What you describe happens with pregen sometimes sounds like spiking. I do notice disc performance becomes nasty with everything in PG, like somehow this whole rendering process is happening more than 100 tracks of audios worth. One of the reasons I don’t have issues with Pregen might be ultra fast SSDs, my biggest sample libraries are on an M.2 running at just under 1,500mbs compared to the average ssd running at around 500mbs I still see spikes in the effects performance window going up to 90% of peak, and the cpu window is less than 10%.

Whatever Reaper is doing others should follow suit. I think it’s ridiculous that motunation blanks out Reaper, but it’s a one man operation, and until DP at least catches up to Pro Tools and Reaper feature wise I feel like it’s always going to have a slow acceptance among new users. Reaper is insane in some ways but routing in Reaper is outstanding, VCA faders are implemented very well, rearranging the sequence is easy as pie, the code is almost open source so people with computer skills have made some amazing controller mapping’s for instance. Check this out, total Mackie style control but using Push 2’s vastly superior LED screen as well!
YouTube
Old 5 days ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Reaper has a good reputation on Windows, but the developer is not familiar with the most basic conventions on how to write Mac software...
Old 5 days ago
  #76
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Reaper has a good reputation on Windows, but the developer is not familiar with the most basic conventions on how to write Mac software...
It works fine here. The basic OSX level key commands are all backwards if that’s what you mean, Command click drag copies instead of Option for instance. Shift works the same, and right click mostly calls contextual menus etc. It’s got a lot of it’s own conventions for sure, but the software itself is stable and performs better cpu wise than anything else on my system. I think that says they’re capable of writing code that works in OS X.

Not trying to sell Reaper here, rather hoping Magic D tosses suggestions to DP developers based on what Reaper has done in 1/3 the time.
Old 4 days ago
  #77
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
It’s got a lot of it’s own conventions for sure
I was referring to really, really basic stuff, like understanding that in Mac apps, 'Quit' is never located in the 'File' menu, that you don't duplicate identical functions across menus, that the menu bar is not meant for notifications or communicating any kind of information, but for menus, that the 'Help' menu is always the rightmost menu, not to the left of the 'Window' menu, that a dialog box should never have buttons lablelled 'yes' or 'no', etc.

You can find countless issues like these, things that are different to literally every single other Mac app.

I wasn't saying that Reaper doesn't work - it does - but as a Mac app, it's beyond awkward to use. It's a Windows app, ported without the most basic understanding of Mac app conventions and user interface guidelines.
Old 4 days ago
  #78
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
I was referring to really, really basic stuff, like understanding that in Mac apps, 'Quit' is never located in the 'File' menu, that you don't duplicate identical functions across menus, that the menu bar is not meant for notifications or communicating any kind of information, but for menus, that the 'Help' menu is always the rightmost menu, not to the left of the 'Window' menu, that a dialog box should never have buttons lablelled 'yes' or 'no', etc.

You can find countless issues like these, things that are different to literally every single other Mac app.

I wasn't saying that Reaper doesn't work - it does - but as a Mac app, it's beyond awkward to use. It's a Windows app, ported without the most basic understanding of Mac app conventions and user interface guidelines.
Well it is a port, and the basic menus IMO shouldn't be radically different than the Windows version. I don't need it to work like a mac app, just need it to work. The implication was that it didn't work as well on mac and that's simply not true. The main rabid, incredibly helpful and abundant free tutorials you find on youtube are by a user who works on OSX for instance.
YouTube
Old 4 days ago
  #79
Gear Nut
 
HugoRibeiro.Com's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
I wasn't saying that Reaper doesn't work - it does - but as a Mac app, it's beyond awkward to use. It's a Windows app, ported without the most basic understanding of Mac app conventions and user interface guidelines.
I have to disagree with you on this. I see soooo many Reaper users on Macs. And like Machinesworking said, the most notable Reaper tutorial guru on the web(Kenny Gioia) uses Reaper on Mac and works perfectly fine.
I even think that almost every time I see a Reaper tutorial or screen shot, its mostly on Macs.
Old 4 days ago
  #80
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Well it is a port, and the basic menus IMO shouldn't be radically different than the Windows version. I don't need it to work like a mac app, just need it to work. The implication was that it didn't work as well on mac and that's simply not true. The main rabid, incredibly helpful and abundant free tutorials you find on youtube are by a user who works on OSX for instance.
YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRibeiro.Com View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. I see soooo many Reaper users on Macs. And like Machinesworking said, the most notable Reaper tutorial guru on the web(Kenny Gioia) uses Reaper on Mac and works perfectly fine.
I even think that almost every time I see a Reaper tutorial or screen shot, its mostly on Macs.
You misunderstood my point. Of course it's possible to work with Reaper and get results. I was talking about the quality of the port - on a good port, you don't have to learn new ways to do things because they are different to all other apps.


The quality of the port shows how unfamiliar the dev is with macOS. You can use tutorials to learn how to work around the mess, but that should not be necessary. I'm not aware of any other DAW that needs tutorials to work around broken OS conventions - tutorials should be for learning to work with an app, not for workarounds.


UI conventions for macOS have been well documented for decades. There are lots of cross platform developers who understand them, and build good cross platform apps.


It goes both ways, of course. For an app originally developed for macOS, it would be quite idiotic to, say, create an artificial global menu bar on top of the screen in the Windows version, instead of putting menus into windows, which is how all Windows apps work.
Old 4 days ago
  #81
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
You misunderstood my point. Of course it's possible to work with Reaper and get results. I was talking about the quality of the port - on a good port, you don't have to learn new ways to do things because they are different to all other apps.


The quality of the port shows how unfamiliar the dev is with macOS. You can use tutorials to learn how to work around the mess, but that should not be necessary. I'm not aware of any other DAW that needs tutorials to work around broken OS conventions - tutorials should be for learning to work with an app, not for workarounds.


UI conventions for macOS have been well documented for decades. There are lots of cross platform developers who understand them, and build good cross platform apps.


It goes both ways, of course. For an app originally developed for macOS, it would be quite idiotic to, say, create an artificial global menu bar on top of the screen in the Windows version, instead of putting menus into windows, which is how all Windows apps work.
I get what you’re saying but you’re assuming Reaper is Windows OS-centric, it’s not. I completely agree that it defies UI conventions in general and I’m arguing that point in the Reaper forums. The application was very obviously developed by a coder, including the front end and it’s a horrible mistake for the reasons you mention, coders don’t generally care for elegance in user exeperience because they learn their haphazard order in the process of developing the code. To be fair certain things are a sort of compromise, command drag isn’t how you copy a file in Windows either, it’s Control drag, which in OS X control is usually tied to right click...


So it’s really powerful and almost open source, but initially it’s not elegant, and most of the users have the sort of Stockholm Syndrome DP users have about snap to grid, object oriented midi, virtual instrument tracks that also record midi and cc automation on the track etc. They don’t know what it’s like to have those things in a workflow so they don’t see it as a problem.

Mostly it’s actual features that are worth mentioning when talking about Reaper, and extensibility.
Old 3 days ago
  #82
Gear Nut
 
KV626's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
I was referring to really, really basic stuff, like understanding that in Mac apps, 'Quit' is never located in the 'File' menu, that you don't duplicate identical functions across menus, that the menu bar is not meant for notifications or communicating any kind of information, but for menus, that the 'Help' menu is always the rightmost menu, not to the left of the 'Window' menu, that a dialog box should never have buttons lablelled 'yes' or 'no', etc.

You can find countless issues like these, things that are different to literally every single other Mac app.

I wasn't saying that Reaper doesn't work - it does - but as a Mac app, it's beyond awkward to use. It's a Windows app, ported without the most basic understanding of Mac app conventions and user interface guidelines.
Actually, a loooooooong time ago, 'Quit' was under the 'File' menu
Old 3 days ago
  #83
Gear Nut
 
KV626's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I get what you’re saying but you’re assuming Reaper is Windows OS-centric, it’s not.
Then shouldn't it work and behave like a Mac app?

FWIW, I tried Reaper 3 times, being a powerful DAW doesn't excuse its awkwardness. Going from Pro Tools (or Logic, or even DP) to Reaper felt like going from Maya to Blender. Besides, still no AAF support in 2018? I guess Reaper is just not for me.
Old 3 days ago
  #84
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Actually, a loooooooong time ago, 'Quit' was under the 'File' menu
Erhm, feel free to download the latest version v5.75 of Reaper for macOS, and open the 'File' menu - 'Quit' is the second from last menu item.
Old 3 days ago
  #85
Gear Nut
 
KV626's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Erhm, feel free to download the latest version v5.75 of Reaper for macOS, and open the 'File' menu - 'Quit' is the second from last menu item.
I wasn't talking about Reaper, but the old Mac OS 9.x days...
Old 3 days ago
  #86
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Then shouldn't it work and behave like a Mac app?

FWIW, I tried Reaper 3 times, being a powerful DAW doesn't excuse its awkwardness. Going from Pro Tools (or Logic, or even DP) to Reaper felt like going from Maya to Blender. Besides, still no AAF support in 2018? I guess Reaper is just not for me.
Lol! the world of computing is not binary, sounds wrong eh?
Reaper does things in ways that neither OSX nor Windows does them in. Cockos didn't implement many OS standards at all. I'm being flamed heavily on a Reaper 6 suggestions thread for pointing this out. Crazy how we all get used to even the limitations of a piece of software and get up in arms when people critique it?
Like I said earlier her mention DPs lack of object oriented MIDI and people get extremely defensive, even claiming object oriented midi hinders them somehow...
I don't know of many DAWs that don't allow multiple 'objects' to be edited at the same time in the MIDI editor...

What draws me to Reaper is it's super flexible Stems production, it makes every other DAW I have seem like a backwards kids toy when it comes to bouncing. Now in terms of composing I think it will probably never be what I compose in, I'll give it a go soon, but it irks me so far. That said the bouncing is so much better that it's worth the time to freeze and import DP, Live etc. tracks into Reaper for stem creation.

The loop importing is also ridiculously good, it's worth mentioning how it gets it right every time so far, even importing and converting REX files etc.
Old 3 days ago
  #87
Gear Addict
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Erhm, feel free to download the latest version v5.75 of Reaper for macOS, and open the 'File' menu - 'Quit' is the second from last menu item.
Are they using 'Quit' as we all know it to mean quitting the program or quitting the session in use?
Old 3 days ago
  #88
Gear Addict
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Lol! the world of computing is not binary, sounds wrong eh?
Reaper does things in ways that neither OSX nor Windows does them in. Cockos didn't implement many OS standards at all. I'm being flamed heavily on a Reaper 6 suggestions thread for pointing this out. Crazy how we all get used to even the limitations of a piece of software and get up in arms when people critique it?
Like I said earlier her mention DPs lack of object oriented MIDI and people get extremely defensive, even claiming object oriented midi hinders them somehow...
I don't know of many DAWs that don't allow multiple 'objects' to be edited at the same time in the MIDI editor...

snippage here
Evidently you've spent time over on that other DP forum right? Was a member there on two separate occassions and each time whenever I mentioned a failing in DP or something I'd like to see did I ever get tarred and feathered. You should have seen the crud I had to deal with when I dared to mention that DP could use as an option true instrument tracks. I never said to do away with what DP has now but like every other daw on the market one is allowed to use either true instrument tracks or old school separate MIDI and instrument hos (aka aux) tracks as an option for each other.

I'm not so xenophobic that I take extreme umbrage when someone criticises PT or DP. Heck even people over at the DUC don't get their panties in a bunch when someone has a harsh opinion of PT or asks for a specific function.

Each daw has things it can learn from the other like track folders for PT or object oriented MIDI editing for DP and so on.
Old 3 days ago
  #89
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Are they using 'Quit' as we all know it to mean quitting the program or quitting the session in use?
'Quit' in the 'File' menu is a duplicate of 'Quit' in the 'Reaper' menu, same functionality.

'Preferences' shows even up 3 times, twice in menus where it's not supposed to be.
Old 3 days ago
  #90
Gear Nut
 
KV626's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
What draws me to Reaper is it's super flexible Stems production, it makes every other DAW I have seem like a backwards kids toy when it comes to bouncing.
That's interesting, I never went that far to be honest... But I have to be able to import/export AAFs. I actually don't understand why Cockos or Presonus refuse to support AAF, wouldn't that attract even more users? I'm so used to Pro Tools that I probably wouldn't make the switch but I know there are more than a few people in post who would, or at least use both.

As for DP, revamp the GUI, include more than the outdated and rather useless MX4 in their package (an *upgraded* Mach5???), then maybe I'll take a look at the next version. Otherwise Im afraid I'll continue to use DP simply to open old projects every couple of months...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump