The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DP 10 predictions Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
  #331
Gear Addict
 

I use Adobe Premiere and that software uses the plus and minus buttons for zooming. So I changed the DP commands to that key combo.

In the Sequence editor, Option drag in the ruler to zoom to selection.

Use the plus/minus buttons in the bottom right corner.

Hold down the Option key and click and drag up or down on the wiper to zoom in and out based on wiper position.

Dave
Old 6 days ago
  #332
Lives for gear
 
gradivus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardus View Post
I use AE professionally, Premiere somewhat less. In Adobe softwares (AE, Premiere, Audition...), the timeline navigation is real good and intuitive with mouse wheel and modifier keys (opt/cmd/shift). Rather a waste of time doing it differently. OR not, IF you're one of those keyboard warrior types who rarely use mouse at all (me sometimes in AE, older AVID users come to mind).

And when I tried to reason this on the MOTU board, I got (rather heavily) critiqued and ridiculed for it. They seem to live in the last century still...

Care to check the 10 about mousing (or zooming) shortcuts? Thanks.
So do I, but I primarily use a wacom tablet. Using key commands along with a tablet is way faster to me than reaching for the mouse. With the keyboard behind my tablet I can hit also modifier keys and the arrow keys fast so command+arrow keys is pretty fast way to zoom the windows to me, though not my first choice. Hell, even in Photoshop you can command+spacebar+click-drag to zoom.

I agree it would save some time if we could customize zooming between key commands and/or clicks/drags with modifiers. I've even requested MOTU add contextual gesture menus like Maya, but to no avail. Even regular gestures you get on trackpads would be useful since now you get those features on Wacom tablets. DP does not play nice with Wacom tablet gestures right now, even for horizontal scrolling it will only intermittently work. Zooming doesn't work at all. Maybe this will change with the next Mac OS since apps will run across all OSs Apple makes and I assume gestures will be easier to code for developers.

As it is now, I can only seem to use the touch ring on my intuos to scroll vertically and zooming doesn't work since it's probably based on command+ and command- like Adobe apps.

I like how Melodyne handles zooming: Command+Option+click-drag. It fluidly zooms vertically and horizontally as you drag and with no lag. This is how most 3D apps handle pan, zoom and rotating in the viewports (click-drag with modifier) and seems to be the fastest possible way to zoom windows whether you use a mouse or tablet. They also usually support modifier+scroll wheel.

The DP UI in general needs serious attention to handle the lag problems when resizing things. I don't know if they use QT or what, but it needs fixing.
Old 6 days ago
  #333
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardus View Post
The thing that irks me the most is these god damned timeline zooming shortcuts in DP. You have to LITERALLY lift your right hand off the mouse and tap several times to make one f*cking zoom (or move the left hand across the whole kb, which is exactly as akward).
Now how about using the scroll wheel with modifier keys (cmd/opt/shift) like every other app with a timeline ever? The absolute pinnacle is – you can not change the original behaviour! No sir. Can't even make new shortcuts with mouse anything, it's like there is no mouse (matrix reference). This is some real legacy UX at it's finest.

See my previous rant.
What I find curious about this is how many apps I use that don't use the scroll wheel to zoom. The only DAW I use that does use the scroll wheel to zoom is Reaper.
I've never been bothered by the lack of scroll wheal options because I use a programable 7 button mouse. Logitech has a program that does per application key commands etc.
Old 6 days ago
  #334
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
What I find curious about this is how many apps I use that don't use the scroll wheel to zoom. The only DAW I use that does use the scroll wheel to zoom is Reaper.
I've never been bothered by the lack of scroll wheal options because I use a programable 7 button mouse. Logitech has a program that does per application key commands etc.
The (mouse) button programming apps are several. The thing is why should I pay for workarounds? And for the life of me will I install any logitech crapware anywhere ever lol, fortunately mice work just fine without. I also have quite enough of fighting with wacom and it's bloated drivers...
Old 6 days ago
  #335
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
What I find curious about this is how many apps I use that don't use the scroll wheel to zoom. The only DAW I use that does use the scroll wheel to zoom is Reaper.
I've never been bothered by the lack of scroll wheal options because I use a programable 7 button mouse. Logitech has a program that does per application key commands etc.
IDK, most apps (with at least some UX consideration) have scroll wheel zoom of a sort.
The (mouse) button programming apps are several. The thing is why should I pay for workarounds? And for the life of me will I install any logitech crapware anywhere ever lol, fortunately mice work just fine without. I also have quite enough of fighting with wacom and it's bloated drivers...
Old 6 days ago
  #336
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardus View Post
IDK, most apps (with at least some UX consideration) have scroll wheel zoom of a sort.
The (mouse) button programming apps are several. The thing is why should I pay for workarounds? And for the life of me will I install any logitech crapware anywhere ever lol, fortunately mice work just fine without. I also have quite enough of fighting with wacom and it's bloated drivers...
Logitech MX mouse here, and it solves your issues, but you refuse to use it...

How about naming mice you like then? So far you’re posting that DP sucks for not having mouse support and Logitech and Wacom drivers suck.
Old 6 days ago
  #337
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Logitech MX mouse here, and it solves your issues, but you refuse to use it...

How about naming mice you like then? So far you’re posting that DP sucks for not having mouse support and Logitech and Wacom drivers suck.
How did this become an issue about "mice" all of a sudden? It's a problem of ancient UX concepts in DP, nothing else.
What does the MX "solve" ecaxtly, does it add wheel zoom and customizable mouse shortcuts to DP? Bloatware causes more issues than it resolves and logitech drivers are legendary for that matter, especially on osx. Why even discuss it.. Their hw is great, their soft is horrid.
And I use logitech m570 if you need to know, trackball is a must.
Old 6 days ago
  #338
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardus View Post
How did this become an issue about "mice" all of a sudden? It's a problem of ancient UX concepts in DP, nothing else.
Hyperbole, not a single person alive thinks Ableton Live is an "ancient" program, it's never done mouse zooming, really anything with scroll wheels. You don't like the way DP works with scroll wheels fine, but getting on some high horse claiming it's due to UX issues is dumb, plenty of the DAWs I use do not do mouse wheel zooming, end of story.


Quote:
What does the MX "solve" ecaxtly, does it add wheel zoom and customizable mouse shortcuts to DP? Bloatware causes more issues than it resolves and logitech drivers are legendary for that matter, especially on osx. Why even discuss it.. Their hw is great, their soft is horrid.
And I use logitech m570 if you need to know, trackball is a must.
Yes you can customize mouse shortcuts per application to Logitech mice with that software you hate, so only in DP will the buttons zoom in and out etc.

I'll throw you a bone here, yes I have in the past had issues with Logitech software for their mice, but this was solved temporarily by getting USB Overdrive, and was resolved after an update, 9 years ago. Since then the Logitech software has had zero issues on OSX. Don't go banking on one iteration of any piece of software for some blanket condemnation, with that logic every DAW is a POS because of at least one upgrade that was not very good.

I mean really, it just paints you out as a serious hater that you use a Logitech trackball, but hate on them. I get it, I've done it with Live and NI specifically, but it's making you not look for solutions IMO.
Old 6 days ago
  #339
Lives for gear
Oh and BTW if you really really need the scroll wheel to do the zooming, USB Overdrive seems to allow key combinations like DP's command arrow left and right to be used for zooming. It's a whole $20, not even the amount for two people to go to dinner these days.

It's worth having, and works with any mouse.
Old 6 days ago
  #340
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
getting on some high horse claiming it's due to UX issues is dumb
Yeah, because saying that user experience suffers because of ancient (or no) UX design is dumb. You win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Yes you can customize mouse shortcuts per application to Logitech mice.
...
I mean really, it just paints you out as a serious hater that you use a Logitech trackball, but hate on them.
I've already said the (mouse) button mod apps are in abundance. I've used them (and still do). Won't help much in this regard and is a workaround to an obvious issue. No amount of your justification or patronising will make it not so. Also maybe quit putting words into my mouth, does paint you out as a person who likes his ad hominems...
So lets quit this OT here with agee to disagree, is all.
Old 6 days ago
  #341
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardus View Post
Yeah, because saying that user experience suffers because of ancient (or no) UX design is dumb. You win.


I've already said the (mouse) button mod apps are in abundance. I've used them (and still do). Won't help much in this regard and is a workaround to an obvious issue. No amount of your justification or patronising will make it not so. Also maybe quit putting words into my mouth, does paint you out as a person who likes his ad hominems...
So lets quit this OT here with agee to disagree, is all.
Hmm? how is it ad hominem to notice you don't like anything? I mean literally nothing, (in this thread anyway), is good enough for you.

I'm just sick of people always complaining, with no end in sight on public forums about minor issues like the DAW or plug in is somehow broken, bad UX etc. etc. I know if I spent 10,000 hours a year working on code for software I would never read forums like gearlslutz. Magicd here used to work for them, for over ten years, and still wants to contribute to the community. It's got to be annoying to have people chirp in with quotes like "ancient" about a UI choice that like I said is not a uniform choice for DAWs like you're trying to paint it out to be. It's in no way even a legacy choice. That's hyperbole plain and simple. Sorry man, but you're wrong about this 100% and you refuse to address that.
Quote:
Now how about using the scroll wheel with modifier keys (cmd/opt/shift) like every other app with a timeline ever?
This isn't true at all, I could name at least three DAWs that don't use the mouse wheel. Now if you were just stating a feature request, that's not an issue, but don't pretend you're surprised that you ruffle feathers when you go into a thread and dump on a DAW that people use? it's weird. I wasn't even that upset or invested in this, I just will never get used to people stating falsifiable things on the internet, then digging in deeper.

If you really want this feature though, this is a much better way to approach it than ranting on forums.
MOTU.com - Suggestion Box
Old 6 days ago
  #342
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
ranting
Ok, again, you win. Also QUIT putting words into my mouth for chrissake. Nowhere did I say anything about "broken" or "bad". I said ancient (meaning: old) and/or no design (meaning: noone has given any serious thought about it, as it was in the days of old). User experience issues ARE DUE TO SUBPAR UX DESIGN. This is a fact. If you don't get it, fine, don't get it
(Also, feature requests have been made long ago)
Old 5 days ago
  #343
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardus View Post
User experience issues ARE DUE TO SUBPAR UX DESIGN. This is a fact. If you don't get it, fine, don't get it
(Also, feature requests have been made long ago)
You flatly stated that "every app with a timeline ever" used scroll wheels to zoom, that's not true. It's also not true that everyone wants your behavior with the timeline, I don't. I zoom horizontally only maybe once or twice a session. Reaper does this mousewheel behavior, and it's OK, but I'm not sold on it. It's too prominent of a shortcut, and inevitably the timeline is accidentally moved in Reaper as I work on other things. It doesn't bother me at all that you want this feature, but it bothers me that a feature that isn't really that big of a deal, has you calling the DAW I use subpar.

I've tried to explain this as succinctly as possible, your feature request is not a reasonable basis to crap on a DAW in a forum. It's the fact you keep on doubling down on your ridiculous claims of DP being "ancient, subpar," etc. that has me commenting. State your claim without resulting to hyperbole, that's all I'm asking.
Old 5 days ago
  #344
Gear Addict
 

Well use the daw that has your mouse feature.
I don't use a mouse and if I did it still doesn't have a scroll wheel.
Old 4 days ago
  #345
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
You flatly stated that "every app with a timeline ever" used scroll wheels to zoom, that's not true. It's also not true that everyone wants your behavior with the timeline, I don't. I zoom horizontally only maybe once or twice a session. Reaper does this mousewheel behavior, and it's OK, but I'm not sold on it. It's too prominent of a shortcut, and inevitably the timeline is accidentally moved in Reaper as I work on other things. It doesn't bother me at all that you want this feature, but it bothers me that a feature that isn't really that big of a deal, has you calling the DAW I use subpar.

I've tried to explain this as succinctly as possible, your feature request is not a reasonable basis to crap on a DAW in a forum. It's the fact you keep on doubling down on your ridiculous claims of DP being "ancient, subpar," etc. that has me commenting. State your claim without resulting to hyperbole, that's all I'm asking.
Ok, should've said "every app with a timeline ever and some reasonable UX designer behind". Also "zoom with modifiers", so hardly ever going to be something unitentional.
And what I actually said (the 3rd time I'm forced to repeat this) was the issue is due to UX design in DP being ancient (the ancient concept of UX: there's a feature and there's a way to access that feature). Not DP being ancient. Not DP being subpar. Now if you need to vent some more then please, I'm out of this offtopic.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump