The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can you use a sequence as a drum loop?
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Addict

Can you use a sequence as a drum loop?

Hi there, I've been trying the DP demo for a while. I think I've got a reasonable handle on it, but since it's so powerful, it seems it might be able to do some things outside the obvious. Or maybe it's obvious? Anyway, I did consult the manual but couldn't figure this out. So please pardon me if this question is ridiculous.

Is it possible to set up a two bar drum loop in one sequence, and then play it simultaneously with a different sequence?

I DON"T mean using chunks in a song. (I realize I could just copy and paste, or set up a repeating midi track for like twenty minutes if need be). And I don't mean using POLAR.

It seems like, you would be able to "play" enable more than one sequence at a time perhaps?

My purpose really is to be able to play a drum loop, and improvise over it linearly for a undefined period of time. On my Kurzweil K2661, I could set a drum pattern to "unloop" which just means, it records as long as you play.

Anyway, any help is appreciated, even if the answer is "nope, can't be done."

Thanks!
Old 12th December 2017
Here for the gear

You can only have one Sequence/Chunk play enabled at a time.

However, you should check out DP's POLAR functionality. It might do what you want. There's an excellent video tutorial on it - probably on MOTU's YouTube channel.

Good Luck!

Martin
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Schiller View Post
Hi there, I've been trying the DP demo for a while. I think I've got a reasonable handle on it, but since it's so powerful, it seems it might be able to do some things outside the obvious. Or maybe it's obvious? Anyway, I did consult the manual but couldn't figure this out. So please pardon me if this question is ridiculous.

Is it possible to set up a two bar drum loop in one sequence, and then play it simultaneously with a different sequence?

I DON"T mean using chunks in a song. (I realize I could just copy and paste, or set up a repeating midi track for like twenty minutes if need be). And I don't mean using POLAR.

It seems like, you would be able to "play" enable more than one sequence at a time perhaps?

My purpose really is to be able to play a drum loop, and improvise over it linearly for a undefined period of time. On my Kurzweil K2661, I could set a drum pattern to "unloop" which just means, it records as long as you play.

Anyway, any help is appreciated, even if the answer is "nope, can't be done."

Thanks!
Nah, sorry

Not buying it,

I've seen waaaay to many posts like this on GS lately to think its anything other than someone trying to drive traffic away from an undisputed industry dominator, I think all these threads are an attempt to dumb down the site and drive traditional users away.

There have been TONS of these threads lately

Something is up with that, and I'm pretty sure I know what
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Addict

Thanks Martin! Yeah I could use POLAR to do that if I wanted to record audio. I was hoping to record just the midi, so if (while improvising) there were some gems, I could tweak the MIDI notes, or velocity or that sort of thing.

So although it doesn't behave quite like I thought it might, what I ended up doing is just building one sequence for the drum loop, selecting those two bars, and doing command-R, and setting the repeat to like 50 times.

I then put both sequences in a song window and set the other sequence as the target to record in. So that pretty much did the trick.

Thanks again!
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear
Curious here? Are you trying to improvise on the same virtual or hardware drum instrument that's playing the loop? Trying to understand why you needed to have two Sequence Chunks to do what you wanted? If it was what you were trying to accomplish then it's easier to duplicate the MIDI track layout and improvise on the new track.
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Curious here? Are you trying to improvise on the same virtual or hardware drum instrument that's playing the loop? Trying to understand why you needed to have two Sequence Chunks to do what you wanted? If it was what you were trying to accomplish then it's easier to duplicate the MIDI track layout and improvise on the new track.
That's a fair inquiry.

Part of the idea of was flexibility and economy by having one sequence be two measures, and then record the improv into a different sequence.

But secretly, I was fantasizing about being able to play two sequences at once could result in all sort of weird, polyrhythmic, experimental escapades.

I guess that's sort of possible by stacking chunks. But its seems like the song window forces the chunk to play at the same tempo?

I might be mistaken about that last one, but I haven't had the time of late to try it out.
Old 25th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Schiller View Post
That's a fair inquiry.

Part of the idea of was flexibility and economy by having one sequence be two measures, and then record the improv into a different sequence.

But secretly, I was fantasizing about being able to play two sequences at once could result in all sort of weird, polyrhythmic, experimental escapades.

I guess that's sort of possible by stacking chunks. But its seems like the song window forces the chunk to play at the same tempo?

I might be mistaken about that last one, but I haven't had the time of late to try it out.
Yeah, the Song Window has it's own Conductor Track, which is given to all tracks in the Song Window. I'm definitely one of those people that wishes you could turn it off, but you can of course do variations of meters in different Sequence Chunks in the Song Window.

The way the Song Window works you would have to have 60 instances of the 2 measure Sequence Chunk to have a 120 measure song with 2 measures.

Mostly what I've used it for is quiche sketching out of the verse, chorus, break etc. layout of a song I'm working on, but you can do that pretty quickly as well in a single sequence by dragging sequences into each other, so I'll have a beginning main part, chorus etc. of a song as separate sequences and drag them into the time line of the open sequence. If you keep your tracks in the same order this isn't that big of a deal and tracks seamlessly drop in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search