The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DP competitive upgrade sale $195.
Old 8th December 2017
Deleted User
DP competitive upgrade sale $195.

This may be a first. Don't ever remember a DP sale.

MOTU Digital Performer 9.5 - Competitive Upgrade | Sweetwater

MOTU.com - Digital Performer 9.5
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Head

I was thinking the same. At least for versions 8 and 9, I cannot recall a DP crossgrade sale in past. Awesome price!

With Steinberg (Cubase 9.5), PreSonus (Studio One 3.5) and Magix (Samplitude Pro X3) offering DAW crossgrade discounts at this time, IMO, it is good that MOTU has decided to also offer a sale to attract new users, especially in light of the discontinuation of Sonar.

As a user of Samplitude Pro X3 Suite, Cubase 9.5, Studio One 3.5 and Digital Performer 9.5, I hope all of the said developers can grow their customer-base over this holiday season.
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
I wonder if this means DP10 or DPX is coming in Winter NAMM next month?
Old 23rd December 2017
Gear Head

The competitive upgrade sale has been extended through December 31, 2017.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I wonder if this means DP10 or DPX is coming in Winter NAMM next month?
The way MOTU work is they announce the upgrade at Winter NAMM and actually release the upgrade in the late Spring or Summer. Makes sense, it's in beta by that time so it's stable enough to show at NAMM etc.

It's a good point in terms of people and disappointment. There is rarely a good time to buy, and it is possible that MOTU do not extend some free upgrade from the point of announcement of the newer version, but of course after the 31'st it will be $399 to crossgrade, so no money would really be "lost" if MOTU happen to announce DPX at NAMM, (which is very likely), but people will feel disappointed if they don't get it for free if they bought in December....

It's been three years since the announcement of DP9 so I would be really surprised if an announcement of DP10 or X whatever isn't happening.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
The way MOTU work is they announce the upgrade at Winter NAMM and actually release the upgrade in the late Spring or Summer. Makes sense, it's in beta by that time so it's stable enough to show at NAMM etc.

It's a good point in terms of people and disappointment. There is rarely a good time to buy, and it is possible that MOTU do not extend some free upgrade from the point of announcement of the newer version, but of course after the 31'st it will be $399 to crossgrade, so no money would really be "lost" if MOTU happen to announce DPX at NAMM, (which is very likely), but people will feel disappointed if they don't get it for free if they bought in December....

It's been three years since the announcement of DP9 so I would be really surprised if an announcement of DP10 or X whatever isn't happening.
Your latter statement is why I made the comment I did. A thought hit me: is MOTU trying to raise funds for development of future versions of DP ala the way Gibson tricked people into buying 'lifetime upgrades' for Sonar and then killed the platform?
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Your latter statement is why I made the comment I did. A thought hit me: is MOTU trying to raise funds for development of future versions of DP ala the way Gibson tricked people into buying 'lifetime upgrades' for Sonar and then killed the platform?
I see no signs that MOTU are going anywhere, or that DP is any worse than it has been, it actually seems to me it's being talked about more these days than say 5 years ago. DP's darkest days were 100% when Apple bought Logic and released it right away for OSX, DP spent years on OS9 and ported with no new improvements at first. Logic was killing it then. These days it rides on it's history, and it is getting better with every update.

MOTU almost always put out a new version every two or three years, it's on the three year mark right now, so Winter NAMM is very likely going to see a new version that they've already spent years developing announced. I think like a lot of other DAW developers right now, they're offering a reduced upgrade because of what Gibson did to Sonar, there's at the very least a few thousand stranded Sonar users looking for a home, and it's smart to open your doors to them. That DP is due for an upgrade announcement is accidental in my opinion.

MOTU seem pretty solid in the hardware department, have never sold their DAW or business to another company, and seem to keep DP around through pretty rough times. If I was to look at companies for possible Cakewalk scenario death walks, I would look at companies that sold themselves to other companies that have maybe different priorities, like Avid with pro Tools, or Yamaha with Cubase, Magix with Samplitude etc. Conversely if I was looking at DAWs not sold to other companies, I would look at ones like Reason where Propellerheads have no hardware division that can float their DAW if things aren't working out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search