The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why isn't DP one of the "Top three" DAWs?
Old 1 week ago
  #601
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Hi.. do you mean from the bounce menu or is there a specific bounce in place shortcut I am missing?
Probably not, bounce settings will give you the selection bounced to the sequence, the only thing left to do is to turn off the original track. Would be nice if this was a key command, but what with Chunks I think most of use are used to bouncing to audio then creating a new Sequence without plug ins etc. It's why I rarely bounce in place. <-- Not saying a true™ bounce in place isn't a cool idea, just an explanation why it isn't a big deal to me that it's two processes in DP.

Quote:
Also, with clip volume, no, that's not what I mean.. I guess I didn't explain it properly.

What DP has added is just normal clip gain control like all DAW's but you still need to split clips..
I'll make a little video showing what i mean in PT
Cool, There is clip volume automation as well as the volume slider, you can do all the things you can do in track automation to clip volume.
Old 1 week ago
  #602
Here for the gear
 

I use DP every day.
It can do whatever you can think of, pretty much.
If you've used it for a while, it doesn't seem clunky, that's just what it would seem like to someone who's used to a different workflowing DAW.
For me, it's the quickest to get from musical point A to point B. Or sonic point A to point B.
If I had to put it in a few words, I'd say that PT is more like a tape recorder and DP is more like a musical mind reader or genie.
Old 1 week ago
  #603
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
sometimes a non top selling DAW isn't a bad position to be in.
because there is sometimes a higher likelihood the devs may to listen more closely to the well made cases.
Old 1 week ago
  #604
Here for the gear
 

Two words. 'Audition Selection'. That feature alone keeps me with DP. The ability to highlight any combination of MIDI/Audio and instantly audition it is critical at work. Do any of the other DAWs have a something like that without having to set up special soloing scenarios or go through other steps? I know LPX and PT don't, but I haven't tried others. Seems like a pretty simple task.

That said, I've been using DP for decades and I'm ready to jump mainly because of audio workflow. I currently mix/finish in PT because DPs audio editing is dismal, there's no weirdness with bouncing and timestamping, and plug-in management is so much better. Plus, MOTU still requires their hardware and a mini-app to handle SMPTE, which is necessary for what I do. The Smpte-Z plug isn't flexible enough to be reliable and has issues dealing with pre-roll.

It feels like updates to DP lately have been efforts to "catch up" with others and cater to everyone, not refine what's already there (especially the GUI - hello too-small fonts!). It's a world-class DAW for sure, definitely for large-scale composing and really intricate MIDI editing, but I'm not sure what MOTU is trying to do with it anymore. It's sad to watch because it was such a clear market leader for a long time.
Old 1 week ago
  #605
TNM
Lives for gear
You mean highlighting segments of the song and soloing only those? Logic has had that for 15 years. It used to be keyboard shortcut S, you could audition any combination of clips, but they changed S to now become track solo.. You can do it via the toolbar icon still.

I think you are right about PT but I am going to check it in the clips window.
Old 1 week ago
  #606
Here for the gear
As a long time DP user I'd like to pitch in my full support and appreciation of the program. Having worked on over 150 projects in DP I continue to use it as my go-to program. I also own PT (2019) and find its interface archaic and outdated. DP does everything very well. MIDI? EDP List integration, Pitch correction (the best!), and massive audio track sessions. It is very solid and fully compatible with older versions. The only critique that I found vaild is that it is not as drag-n-drop friendly as Ableton, for example. Yes, the well written manual is 1000 pages, but it is a deep program that offers a lot of features. I like it!
Old 1 week ago
  #607
Here for the gear
As a long time DP user I'd like to pitch in my full support and appreciation of the program. Having worked on over 150 projects in DP I continue to use it as my go-to program. I also own PT (2019) and find its interface archaic and outdated. DP does everything very well. MIDI? EDP List integration, Pitch correction (the best!), and massive audio track sessions. It is very solid and fully compatible with older versions. The only critique that I found vaild is that it is not as drag-n-drop friendly as Ableton, for example. Yes, the well written manual is 1000 pages, but it is a deep program that offers a lot of features. I like it!
Old 1 week ago
  #608
Gear Head
 
myfeltgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
By calling me (and monkeyman, though they'll speak for themself) a DP "groupie" shows you don't know what a groupie is. You certainly don't know anything about me.

Your post to Dave was misguided. Own it.
You're the one still on this. Re-read your post and you'll see what I mean about being a groupie. Own it.
Old 1 week ago
  #609
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post
You're the one still on this. Re-read your post and you'll see what I mean about being a groupie. Own it.
All of this should stop, and you're just as guilty. Let's talk about the DAW, it's fine to compare it to other DAWs, we shouldn't be doing ad hominem attacks, You've leveled quite a few here, I don't think it's cool to do it back at you either, but this is a small example of what your'e doing sometimes in this thread, attacking the character of the person rather than discussing the DAW itself.

Quote:
So what’s the point you’re making in this rant??
------
Or you get blind loyalists who can't stand to hear that anything might be better than their beloved DAW.
------
DP clearly works like it was made for old dogs who are use to menial operations in order to produce something.
This is a surprising thing, but not everyone agrees with you on DP being a bad tool or lessor tool than Studio One etc. Personally I tried S1 a while and didn't like it, I had no interest or compunction to name call or characterize people who used it in any way shape or form. A lot of what people accept as normal in a DAW is based on what DAW they first used and produced with, this is a natural bias, people also have biases based on perceptions based on branding and other things they would never take into account. When Apple bought Logic people were already convinced it was an intuitive and well laid out DAW, it never was either of those things. Logic has always been powerful and when you do get to know it, it has a fast workflow, but it's not intuitive, and it's not laid out well. It has rough edges to this day, and the people that love it put up with it. This is true of every DAW, there are no exceptions.

If you can't work with DP, that's fine, but attempting to convince others that their happiness in using DP is some sort of fanboy etc. routine is ridiculous. As I pointed out I own and have mastered quite a few DAWs, and most people using DP in a professional setting are also using Logic and Pro Tools among other DAWs for various reasons, but choose to use DP along with them or when they're allowed to.
Old 1 week ago
  #610
Lives for gear
The real short answer to the topic at hand is simple, Cubase and Pro Tools aren't going anywhere, and Logic was bought by Apple with the deep pockets and the branding that entails, MOTU never stood a chance after that, and have done what they could.


Whether anyone likes it or not the top five DAWs have been PT, Cubase, Logic, Live and FL Studio for quite a long time. The rest compete for the scraps. Fortunately the scraps these days is a big chunk of the pie.
Old 1 week ago
  #611
Gear Head
 
myfeltgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
All of this should stop, and you're just as guilty. Let's talk about the DAW, it's fine to compare it to other DAWs, we shouldn't be doing ad hominem attacks, You've leveled quite a few here, I don't think it's cool to do it back at you either, but this is a small example of what your'e doing sometimes in this thread, attacking the character of the person rather than discussing the DAW itself.
Well let's unpack all of this??

Quote:
So what’s the point you’re making in this rant??
I was told I was "whinging" and I replied that one was "ranting".

Quote:
Or you get blind loyalists who can't stand to hear that anything might be better than their beloved DAW.
That was simply in reply to being told I was just an ex-user venting. lol

Quote:
DP clearly works like it was made for old dogs who are use to menial operations in order to produce something.
Your friend Dave referred to himself as an old dog, to which I agreed it was made for people like him. My reference to "menial tasks" is in reference to DP. Far from any ad hominem on my part going on.

On the other hand, I've been told I was "whinging", "misguided", "shooting at the wrong target", and my favorite..."missing it anyway".........all this over a piece of what I believe to be dated software.

All that energy that went into you incorrectly critiquing me as being guilty of using ad hominem attacks, keep that same energy up with those who actually came at me sideways. I'm not the one.
Old 1 week ago
  #612
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post
Well let's unpack all of this??


I was told I was "whinging" and I replied that one was "ranting".
There is a lot of whinging in this thread, it's coming from both sides. I see no indication it was pointed directly at you, but fair enough, I wouldn't have even gone there.



Quote:
That was simply in reply to being told I was just an ex-user venting. lol
So someone wrongfully assumes you're an ex user venting, which is hardly a personal attack. I at one point switched to Logic and thought DP's was far too flawed to work with. (A round of bugs crippling Logic for me at v7.0 cured me of thinking that.) Ex user venting as a "personal" attack, only if your points are being ignored, but other than that there's no comparison to "Or you get blind loyalists who can't stand to hear that anything might be better than their beloved DAW." which is a direct personal attack on anyone who disagrees with you. There's a pattern here. People assume it's possible that you have personal animosity towards a DAW (which is in itself odd), because you either used it and felt that XYZ new DAW is faster, better etc. when you switched, or you never fully learned it, never got comfortable with it. They assume this because they do not feel like you do about said DAW, but I can't say that assumption is much of a personal attack as it is a possibly misguided attempt to understand why in this case DP, gets you so worked up when they love working with it?

Quote:
Your friend Dave referred to himself as an old dog, to which I agreed it was made for people like him. My reference to "menial tasks" is in reference to DP. Far from any ad hominem on my part going on.
If someone calls themselves an old dog, it doesn't make it fair game to turn around and use it to paint them out as incapable of seeing that their DAW is only good at menial problems which is exactly what you did. Attempting to then paint that out as not an ad hominem is.... weird? Telling other people their tools are only good at menial tasks and using their light hearted dig at themselves to help your case is exactly what an ad hominem is. You literally painted him out as incapable of seeing that his DAW was flawed because he's an old dog. I shouldn't have to explain that.



Quote:
On the other hand, I've been told I was "whinging", "misguided", "shooting at the wrong target", and my favorite..."missing it anyway".........all this over a piece of what I believe to be dated software.



All that energy that went into you incorrectly critiquing me as being guilty of using ad hominem attacks, keep that same energy up with those who actually came at me sideways. I'm not the one.
You're on an internet forum, you entered a thread that will attract people who like DP, you're stating it's outdated, essentially worthless compared to DAWs you use and love, and you're being surprised that when you turn prickly towards a 20 year veteran representative of MOTU who chimed in, to not at all surprisingly defend the DAW he uses, and spent a good portion of his life helping end users with, that people respond??

I think you're blind to what you're doing, if I walked into a thread on Logic and spent all of my time writing about how it's stupid that Logic still has only channels for software instruments, and that it's an indicator on how underdeveloped Logic is, how it's built on a house of cards, and only Apples web of deception branding was keeping people from realizing how ridiculous it is that they have to use AU only which kept them for years from being able to use MIDI out from software instruments with sequencers etc. etc. I would have some good points, but no doubt I would tick people off with my overtly emotional reactions to Logic, and my obvious hyperbole about Logic strewn in with a few facts.
Old 1 week ago
  #613
Gear Head
 
myfeltgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Ex user venting as a "personal" attack, only if your points are being ignored, but other than that there's no comparison to "Or you get blind loyalists who can't stand to hear that anything might be better than their beloved DAW." which is a direct personal attack on anyone who disagrees with you.
There's a difference of opinion there. I never said one was a blind loyalist for disagreeing, I said you're a blind loyalist if you can't stand to hear anything might be better than a piece of software. The first being an attack, the latter not. Two different things there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Telling other people their tools are only good at menial tasks and using their light hearted dig at themselves to help your case is exactly what an ad hominem is.
Since when is a dig at a piece of software, a dig at the person using it?? So I would have to presume your take on LPX at the end of your post is an all-out assault of people who use Logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
You're on an internet forum, you entered a thread that will attract people who like DP, you're stating it's outdated, essentially worthless compared to DAWs you use and love, and you're being surprised that when you turn prickly towards a 20 year veteran representative of MOTU who chimed in, to not at all surprisingly defend the DAW he uses, and spent a good portion of his life helping end users with, that people respond??
I'm actually not surprised at the inability of some people to objectively hear criticism about DP...which is in itself blind loyalism. What I'm surprised at is when those same people expressing such "blind loyalism" get upset about being called "blind loyalists".

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I think you're blind to what you're doing, if I walked into a thread on Logic and spent all of my time writing about how it's stupid that Logic still has only channels for software instruments, and that it's an indicator on how underdeveloped Logic is, how it's built on a house of cards, and only Apples web of deception branding was keeping people from realizing how ridiculous it is that they have to use AU only which kept them for years from being able to use MIDI out from software instruments with sequencers etc. etc.
Blind?? All of my time?? A lot of assumptions there.

And by your logic (no pun intended), you just launched personal attacks on LPX users...though I can see that's not the case in actuality.

Unless you're going to spend this much time unpacking and critiquing (by the same logic you're using) the personal attacks on me, you're not going to get any sympathy or give from me.
Old 1 week ago
  #614
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post

And by your logic (no pun intended), you just launched personal attacks on LPX users...though I can see that's not the case in actuality.
I think this is the gist, I did intentionally add in ad hominem, I mixed it with some rational criticism. Here's some clues,
Quote:
if I walked into a thread on Logic and spent all of my time writing about how it's stupid that Logic still has only channels for software instruments, and that it's an indicator on how underdeveloped Logic is, how it's built on a house of cards, and only Apples web of deception branding was keeping people from realizing how ridiculous it is that they have to use AU only which kept them for years from being able to use MIDI out from software instruments with sequencers etc. etc.
I suggested in the post that people who used logic were being fools for choosing a piece of software that I don't use. I implied that because it didn't fix features I thought were important that the software was inferior. I could have easily just made my point that I'm not a fan of AU, or the by channel only aspect of Logic, but instead I made it out that these were things that made it impossible for anyone who wasn't being ridiculous to choose it with a rational thought in their head. It's all implied by my choice of adjectives.

Anyway I was trying to say we should be talking about DP, not painting anyone out as wrong for their choices. I own 5+ DAWs and choose DP 90% of the time, I'm not choosing it for emotional reasons, I like the workflow in it. I'm more than willing to discuss the parts of any DAW that need work, and less than enthusiastic to discuss why you're a hater or anything about you at all really, I don't know you, so ad hominem, even subtle doesn't interest me.

What interests me is things like what is great in XYZ DAW etc. In the case of Logic I really like the Expression maps, it's the one Logic feature I like.
Bitwig, Reaper, Cubase all do MPE better, the channel limit gets in the way of MPE for me, I want to be able to have both the Rise 49 and the MPK88 here on different software instruments etc. but Logic doesn't do that.

I like the overall ease of use of Ableton Live when it comes to hardware controllers in general, they mapped out dozens of them, so practically anything you throw at Live is ready to be a control surface.

My least favorite part of DP is the lack of control surface support, it's Mackie and HUI only, MMC is supported only one way, so my AKAI controller transport controls don't work with DP, but every other DAW I use, it works with. This is the sort of little fixes here and there I hope are coming, but we will have to wait and see. I don't agree that they're sitting on their laurels or playing catch up. Clips takes them in a whole new direction, it's just a matter of how far they take it, if they leave it as is, then it's only sort of cool, not extremely useful.
Old 1 week ago
  #615
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

I dream of being able to be that-rational-and-succinct, MC.

Well-said, mate.
Old 1 week ago
  #616
Gear Head
 
myfeltgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Bitwig, Reaper, Cubase all do MPE better.
REAPER does this really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I like the overall ease of use of Ableton Live when it comes to hardware controllers in general, they mapped out dozens of them, so practically anything you throw at Live is ready to be a control surface.
This in addition to pooled MIDI data and their implementation of external instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Clips takes them in a whole new direction, it's just a matter of how far they take it, if they leave it as is, then it's only sort of cool, not extremely useful.
This was good...albeit an obvious Ableton rip. I never said DP doesn’t have any good features. For me it just appears as one step forward, two back.

I do find it interesting how you ignored my last point though...especially after cherry-picking what you had a problem with in regards to me.
Old 1 week ago
  #617
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post
REAPER does this really well.
Yeah I agree, editing can be weird, but it's solid, so is Bitwig from the time I've spent with it.


Quote:
This in addition to pooled MIDI data and their implementation of external instruments.
I'm still annoyed at Ableton for their lack of SysEx so it's hard to give them any MIDI credit. I've used it since v3. Great program, but I think lately it's coming to fruition why the Bitwig team left and started their own DAW. Live has issues that make DP look like a spring chicken in terms of MIDI and It's only improved by using object oriented dammed near program language Max 4 Live.


Quote:
This was good...albeit an obvious Ableton rip. I never said DP doesn’t have any good features. For me it just appears as one step forward, two back.
Don't see any steps back, I see a company that doesn't have Yamaha, Apple, or Avid level pockets doing what they can against bigger wallets.

No DAW would be anywhere if they only innovated. In the bigger picture Ableton ripped some Max/MSP sequencers, but they did it better. Hopefully MOTU add in near Live level functionality over time, and an actual full MIDI DAW.

Quote:
I do find it interesting how you ignored my last point though...especially after cherry-picking what you had a problem with in regards to me.
It's not you, I don't know you, I just am sick of every forum everywhere being filled with arguments about nothing.

Again, it's more interesting to me to discuss the DAWs, hopefully without too much personal attacks or hurt feelings. I wasn't trying to point you out exclusively, but I think you use terms that leave people feeling like your point isn't really about discussing DAWs strong and weak points rather it's about stating your dislike of a DAW, which is of course going to tick people off, especially if the insinuation is that anyone who likes it is in some bubble, and then all we're talking about is personalities, which I simply don't really care about.
Old 1 week ago
  #618
Here for the gear
 

I tried yesterday this DAW - had 3 crashes (upon switching audio drivers, upon clicking the sheet music notation view and when exiting the program); on top of this it was extremely laggy/ slow, especially after loading several virtual instruments (loaded 15 synths - Reaper uses the same amount of CPU when playing 30 of the same synth patches).
The feature set is fine, but someone has to be crazy to buy something so unstable on Windows. So, it is definitely one of top 3 worst DAWs on Windows, imo, in terms of performance and stability. They probably should have coded a new Windows DAW instead of trying to port DP. You have to be crazy to buy and use this.
Old 6 days ago
  #619
Gear Head
 
myfeltgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
It's not you, I don't know you...
Yet you decided to quote me extensively on what you had a problem with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I wasn't trying to point you out exclusively, but I think you use terms that leave people feeling like your point isn't really about discussing DAWs strong and weak points rather it's about stating your dislike of a DAW, which is of course going to tick people off, especially if the insinuation is that anyone who likes it is in some bubble, and then all we're talking about is personalities, which I simply don't really care about.
“I wasn't trying to point you out exclusively, but“ allow me to point you out exclusively on...

The mere fact that you still feel the need to draw attention to what you think about me, and not what others have wrongfully contributed, speaks volumes. You lose objectivity until you do otherwise.
Old 6 days ago
  #620
Gear Head
 
myfeltgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislav321 View Post
I tried yesterday this DAW - had 3 crashes (upon switching audio drivers, upon clicking the sheet music notation view and when exiting the program); on top of this it was extremely laggy/ slow, especially after loading several virtual instruments (loaded 15 synths - Reaper uses the same amount of CPU when playing 30 of the same synth patches).
The feature set is fine, but someone has to be crazy to buy something so unstable on Windows. So, it is definitely one of top 3 worst DAWs on Windows, imo, in terms of performance and stability. They probably should have coded a new Windows DAW instead of trying to port DP. You have to be crazy to buy and use this.
It’s almost as if MOTU even half-did the transition to Windows. That’s my issue with DP...one step forward, two steps back.
Old 6 days ago
  #621
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislav321 View Post
I tried yesterday this DAW - had 3 crashes (upon switching audio drivers, upon clicking the sheet music notation view and when exiting the program); on top of this it was extremely laggy/ slow, especially after loading several virtual instruments (loaded 15 synths - Reaper uses the same amount of CPU when playing 30 of the same synth patches).
The feature set is fine, but someone has to be crazy to buy something so unstable on Windows. So, it is definitely one of top 3 worst DAWs on Windows, imo, in terms of performance and stability. They probably should have coded a new Windows DAW instead of trying to port DP. You have to be crazy to buy and use this.
There are quite a few Windows users over at Motunation, it seems hit or miss with either the soft or hardware on Windows whether it's stable or not, but since some people have little or no issues, it's likely some configuration that MOTU haven't tested well enough in beta to get stable, dunno?
Old 6 days ago
  #622
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post
Yet you decided to quote me extensively on what you had a problem with.


“I wasn't trying to point you out exclusively, but“ allow me to point you out exclusively on...

The mere fact that you still feel the need to draw attention to what you think about me, and not what others have wrongfully contributed, speaks volumes. You lose objectivity until you do otherwise.
Because your posts directly address the issue I pointed at, people using terms to describe their taste that not so indirectly paint anyone using the software as being in the wrong.

I don't care or am bothered that DP isn't for you, but your constant painting the software out to be inferior to other DAWs because it doesn't work for you is incredibly dense thinking on your part. Your opinion is your opinion, but your opinion is not the law.

I have no agenda directly with you, but you are for sure trolling for DP users to fight with. I already explained by doing what you're doing in a post about Logic, and you still couldn't see how tainted the posts have been. Notice other people have stated their dislike of DP, or preference for other DAWs, and haven't ended up in internet arguments over it?

The fact that people bit on your posts leveling barbs at users painting them out as "blind loyalists" etc. isn't surprising, even if it's directed at certain individuals, that crap isn't a smart bomb, it scatter shoots anyone who likes DP. You're only going to be happy with people who agree with you, and in the end it just makes you a typical person on the internet looking for a DAW war... a dick wagging contest.

let me put this clearly, you started with posts about DP that included other users in your assessment, the insinuation that anyone using DP is deluded etc. then when you got feedback on that not unsurprisingly, you attempt to paint it out that you're being singled out as the only person doing ad hominem etc. I agree others have as well, but let's be honest, you walked in looking for a fight.
Old 6 days ago
  #623
Gear Head
 
myfeltgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Because your posts directly address the issue I pointed at, people using terms to describe their taste that not so indirectly paint anyone using the software as being in the wrong.

I don't care or am bothered that DP isn't for you, but your constant painting the software out to be inferior to other DAWs because it doesn't work for you is incredibly dense thinking on your part. Your opinion is your opinion, but your opinion is not the law.

I have no agenda directly with you, but you are for sure trolling for DP users to fight with. I already explained by doing what you're doing in a post about Logic, and you still couldn't see how tainted the posts have been. Notice other people have stated their dislike of DP, or preference for other DAWs, and haven't ended up in internet arguments over it?

The fact that people bit on your posts leveling barbs at users painting them out as "blind loyalists" etc. isn't surprising, even if it's directed at certain individuals, that crap isn't a smart bomb, it scatter shoots anyone who likes DP. You're only going to be happy with people who agree with you, and in the end it just makes you a typical person on the internet looking for a DAW war... a dick wagging contest.

let me put this clearly, you started with posts about DP that included other users in your assessment, the insinuation that anyone using DP is deluded etc. then when you got feedback on that not unsurprisingly, you attempt to paint it out that you're being singled out as the only person doing ad hominem etc. I agree others have as well, but let's be honest, you walked in looking for a fight.
And there’s the true colors there folks! These are the folks that make up DP nation ...thanks for proving everything I said to be right.
Old 6 days ago
  #624
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post
And there’s the true colors there folks! These are the folks that make up DP nation ...thanks for proving everything I said to be right.
Not at all.

And with this you proved everything machinesworking wrote was on point. You couldn't even stop yourself from doing that.

If you'd "choose any DAW over DP" why do you even bother returning to post here? Is trolling really that satisfying? This thread has had some great posts, over two years worth, but it's a decidedly troll free "Before myfeltgood" era and an inferior "Since myfeltgood" one.

Maybe we can get back to talking about DAWs.
Old 6 days ago
  #625
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
Not at all.

And with this you proved everything machinesworking wrote was on point. You couldn't even stop yourself from doing that.

If you'd "choose any DAW over DP" why do you even bother returning to post here? Is trolling really that satisfying? This thread has had some great posts, over two years worth, but it's a decidedly troll free "Before myfeltgood" era and an inferior "Since myfeltgood" one.

Maybe we can get back to talking about DAWs.
I'm constantly surprised at how tone deaf and looking for a fight people are on the internet, it would be shocking if it wasn't consistent.

MOTU have a seminar tomorrow morning entitled
Quote:
What's New at NAMM 2020 with Brendan Reza
Brenden is their new hipster employee.
https://motu.com/en-us/namm/
I would like to think there''s a few announcements about DP strewn in there. The rest are all demos with DP, film scoring mostly. No hardware demos so it's probably that. Would be nice if it was expression maps coming to DP10, and the DP Lite skin, I like it better than the default DP10/9 skin.
Old 6 days ago
  #626
Gear Head
 
myfeltgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
Not at all.

And with this you proved everything machinesworking wrote was on point. You couldn't even stop yourself from doing that.

If you'd "choose any DAW over DP" why do you even bother returning to post here? Is trolling really that satisfying? This thread has had some great posts, over two years worth, but it's a decidedly troll free "Before myfeltgood" era and an inferior "Since myfeltgood" one.

Maybe we can get back to talking about DAWs.
Oh the irony. Someone who worships DP talking about what’s inferior. You obviously don’t want to get back to talking about DAWs because you’re here quoting me once again. Sounds like you’re the troll to me. The proof is in the pudding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I'm constantly surprised at how tone deaf...
Tone deaf?!? This coming from a DP groupie?!?

I would wager you would be the one who’s tone deaf by keeping this going.
Old 5 days ago
  #627
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post

If someone calls themselves an old dog, it doesn't make it fair game to turn around and use it to paint them out as incapable of seeing that their DAW is only good at menial problems which is exactly what you did.
Aah...

As I post this. it's the first day of NAMM. I'm not there and it's the first time I haven't been there in 25 years. Last year I went, my first time as a "civilian". That was pretty weird, going to all the booths and seeing all the people I've known all these years. But I'm not there this year and I'm feeling a little sentimental.

I started at MOTU when I was already in my 30s. So compared to some, yes I am an old dog. You should be so lucky to live this long and have done something you loved for so many years. I started recording in the 1970s and spent many years splicing tape and dealing with crap outboard gear. Loved every minute of it and I totally believe that my experience with the computer world was enhanced by living in the non-computer world. I am a student of recording and I couldn't care less if it were a tape deck, wax cylinder, or computer as long as I could do what I wanted to do.

There's plenty of things you can do with a computer that I don't do. I'm not a DJ. I'm not an EDM guy. So I don't represent what DJs and EDM people do. Times change and a company that makes technology has to go with that. MOTU has created technology from the beginning. Some I use. Some I don't. But don't forget, this is a company that has been the pioneer of so much of what the industry takes for granted. I'll make a list if someone wants.

I happen to know Brendan at MOTU. He's a sharp guy and I could probably be his grandfather. IMO he's a great person to be a face of the company. Nobody wants to see my old butt talking about compressors and signal flow anymore. Brendan is out there talking about the new features of the product and again, IMO he's doing a fab job.

I am very impressed by the last two updates of DP. I went from tape decks to computers with DP and sure I'm biased, but I consider DP to be a work of art. Very happy to see that MOTU stands proud with what they do.

Dave
Old 5 days ago
  #628
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
Aah...
But don't forget, this is a company that has been the pioneer of so much of what the industry takes for granted. I'll make a list if someone wants.

I happen to know Brendan at MOTU. He's a sharp guy and I could probably be his grandfather. IMO he's a great person to be a face of the company. Nobody wants to see my old butt talking about compressors and signal flow anymore. Brendan is out there talking about the new features of the product and again, IMO he's doing a fab job.

I am very impressed by the last two updates of DP. I went from tape decks to computers with DP and sure I'm biased, but I consider DP to be a work of art. Very happy to see that MOTU stands proud with what they do.

Dave
As an end user I went directly into computers. The third serious band I was in used a Mac Plus and Performer (1.something) to sequence an Ensonique Mirage, the first sampler that us peasants could afford. Recording with a computer didn't happen for me until the 2000's, although if I recall DP could already use Digidesign hardware and their own native hardware to record audio in the 90's.

I really like the direction MOTU are taking DP, my big fear is they only go halfway, and the other is they never make any partnerships with control surface companies. Bitwig and Live both interact with the various haptic response 8x8 Launchpads, MPDs, Push 2 etc. in an intuitive and interactive way, displaying flashing lights for active pads etc. etc. DP can add Clips as a cut rate version of what Bitwig and Live do, as it stands, or take it a bit further and be a full featured DAW with Clips.

Even if they never do, I will still always I think use DP for mix down, I'm comfortable in it, it uses both VST and AU, and Slate made a "ravelay" for their touch screen Raven for it. I see no reason to switch to Pro Tools etc. etc. spending hundreds if not thousands getting AAX versions or using workarounds to use the incomparable plug ins I own etc. etc.

Basically for me as a user of Live, DP, Logic, Reaper etc. etc. I'm liking that DP is ending being a one stop shop for me, it's possible I end up using only DP by next year, and it's been about 15 years since that was the case.
Old 5 days ago
  #629
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
As an end user I went directly into computers. The third serious band I was in used a Mac Plus and Performer (1.something) to sequence an Ensonique Mirage, the first sampler that us peasants could afford. Recording with a computer didn't happen for me until the 2000's, although if I recall DP could already use Digidesign hardware and their own native hardware to record audio in the 90's.
Awesome!

I had a studio in the 80s and my partner bought a Mac something or other for around $3000. I think it had 512 K memory. We used Performer version 1 and then 2. We had a Mirage and and ESQ, and maybe a Korg M1. My partners landlord was the lead percussionist for the BSO. The Museum of Science built an iMax theatre and commissioned John Williams to write the score for the opening trailer, which I think they still play before the main feature. Williams wrote lead sheet. The percussionist "orchestrated" the score. We got the gig to do a mockup in our funky little studio. When the mockup was approved we took the Mac to a very uptown studio that had a Synclavier. Connect the Mac to the Synclavier. Outputs of the Synclavier were sent to live monitor speakers, and the live playback was miced up and recorded to tape.

Next time I used Performer I was playing in a band and using a Roland guitar to MIDI converter. The converter was horrible with delay and false triggers but that was mostly ok for gigging. In the studio we synched a Mac to tape and I recorded my MIDI output into Performer. I went through note by note to fix all the glitches and got good synth parts along with the guitar.


Hope the crew has a great week at NAMM!
Dave
Old 5 days ago
  #630
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
Hope the crew has a great week at NAMM!
Dave
I'm always far too far away to even make NAMM, It looks like they're either announcing something at NAMM with the "What's New at NAMM 2020 with Brendan Reza" presentation or giving an overview of DP10.1 and the new audio interfaces.
So far nobody has spilled the beans online as to what that presentation was about..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump