The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DP9.12 development - end of line?
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not as easy as having a purpose-built button or a right click and disable/re-enable. You'd have to keep track of where the output routing went if you want to re-activate the track and use it as it was. Suppose you're doing this over multiple tracks - not easy and not quick. This is one of those things that drives me nuts about DP - it does some things very well and others not so much.
Still, not as bad as real time freezing

TH
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Still, not as bad as real time freezing

TH
For anything critical I always record to another track - never use a freeze function. Never had good luck with that in any daw. And the only time I use PT's faster than realtime render is if I need a quick listen to something to cut down on cpu use.
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
For anything critical I always record to another track - never use a freeze function. Never had good luck with that in any daw. And the only time I use PT's faster than realtime render is if I need a quick listen to something to cut down on cpu use.
Use both Freeze and Commit (bounce in place) in both PT and Logic with zero problems, as do many others. One of PT's biggest requests by users for years.

Have no time to run the entire song everytime I want to "freeze" something.
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Use both Freeze and Commit (bounce in place) in both PT and Logic with zero problems, as do many others. One of PT's biggest requests by users for years.

Have no time to run the entire song everytime I want to "freeze" something.
I don't have now and will never have PT12. Froze my system at 11.3.2 with it's faster than real time render which as I said I hardly use. I moved off of PT for all new work when they started with this annual fee/tax bs just to be able to get bug fixes and program updates. That's why I went to DP for all new stuff.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

musicman, as I myself am currently comfortable with regular PT10, and have DP experience in the past (more MIDI than audio), and am currently reassessing DAWs, ... I am eager to hear your thoughts on DP vs PT. There's never too of that. For the untethered.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
musicman, as I myself am currently comfortable with regular PT10, and have DP experience in the past (more MIDI than audio), and am currently reassessing DAWs, ... I am eager to hear your thoughts on DP vs PT. There's never too of that. For the untethered.
Let me start off by saying neither daw is perfect and each can learn from the other. Let me start off by saying what can PT learn from DP:
One version that does everything with no artificial barriers
A video engine that works consistently
no iLok
more flexible automation and MIDI
multiple sequences in one session/project
sidechain from a stereo bus

What can DP learn from PT:
True instrument tracks. I'm not saying for DP to dump what they have with separate instrument and MIDI tracks but to have the option that PT gives you of going old school or more modern. Makes a session less cluttered. As far as I know DP is the only daw that does NOT have true instrument tracks.

Less window clutter. The consolidated window in DP is way too busy. The edit screen in PT combines the sequence editor and track overview of DP with some functions of the mix window as well.

Disk cache

VCA tracks

MIDI blocks. As much as I like the MIDI implementation in DP it could learn from PT in that you can make a timeline selection, separate and move the block of data anywheres without having to do a cut or copy/paste. Not that easy in DP.

Comments block for each track like in PT. I know DP has project notes but I like PT's implementation better because then you have direct notice of something that may affect a track right there and not off in some little windowlet.

Direct creation of a new track without having to expressly go through a bus. In PT in the output section of a track I can route directly to a new track without first creating a bus. In DP you have to create a bus first and then route to the bus and from the bus to a track. Again to assuage the old timers in DP that are having heartburn I'm NOT saying to get rid of the way DP does it now but to add it as an option like happens in PT.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What can DP learn from PT:
True instrument tracks. I'm not saying for DP to dump what they have with separate instrument and MIDI tracks but to have the option that PT gives you of going old school or more modern. Makes a session less cluttered. As far as I know DP is the only daw that does NOT have true instrument tracks.
Neither Cubase nor Studio One have 'true instrument tracks'.

Cubase's comes close, but it's very clearly just a visual layer.

I suppose that you could argue that Reaper doesn't have instrument tracks either, since tracks in Reaper are (for the lack of a better term) androgynous.

Quote:
Less window clutter. The consolidated window in DP is way too busy. The edit screen in PT combines the sequence editor and track overview of DP with some functions of the mix window as well.
I feel that this is an area that PT could learn from DP actually. The availability of information in DP vastly exceeds PT's offerings.

DP does need to get the Sequence Editor figured out though. There's various things you can only do in the Tracks Overview, and selecting tracks in the SE is really clunky.

While Motu is at it, they could make folder tracks not broken too. (plus a plethora of other things)

Quote:
Direct creation of a new track without having to expressly go through a bus. In PT in the output section of a track I can route directly to a new track without first creating a bus. In DP you have to create a bus first and then route to the bus and from the bus to a track. Again to assuage the old timers in DP that are having heartburn I'm NOT saying to get rid of the way DP does it now but to add it as an option like happens in PT.
There is absolutely no benefit to the way DP does it now compared to other DAWs

If the assignment was automatic, the time it'd take to change it would be less than the total time to do any operation requiring it now.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

Robert:
Thanks for the reply/comments, especially the link to the things that annoy you in DP. I must admit some of those hadn't crossed my mind but they are legitimate and MOTU definitely should look into it. I mean - no VCA's? As to the pitch warping if what was supposedly shown at the recent NAMM we may get that in the next update whenever that happens. Something to add to the annoyance list - bring back the global pregen off in preferences - none of this BS we have to go through in 9.12. That's why I went back to 9.02.

I have to wonder how long it will be before this thread gets back to the clicque over at Motunation?
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have to wonder how long it will be before this thread gets back to the clicque over at Motunation?
I am rather sure a few people know about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search