The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most Disappointing Modules
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Most Disappointing Modules

It's a subject that was bound to come up eventually; which modules were you most disappointed by?

For me, it was Pressure Points, but that's mainly because I didn't do enough research when I started pining for it. That you couldn't send pressure CV to all four outputs at once did it in for me.

So what did you buy and regret?
Old 5 days ago
Analogue Solutions BD78. I've never found a use for it. Bought new a long time ago and shelved it. The only interesting bit is that it can be modded for an 808 BD, but I can't be bothered right now. You will find it on evilbay this month for very little money.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Analogue Solutions BD78. I've never found a use for it. Bought new a long time ago and shelved it. The only interesting bit is that it can be modded for an 808 BD, but I can't be bothered right now. You will find it on evilbay this month for very little money.
Funny! Since i couldnt find an ASol BD78 i began to design my own CR78 module based on the service manual .. aiming to put Hihats, Kick, cymbal and snare into it.

You still have it and want to part?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Funny! Since i couldnt find an ASol BD78 i began to design my own CR78 module based on the service manual .. aiming to put Hihats, Kick, cymbal and snare into it.

You still have it and want to part?
yes, any reasonable offer
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
yes, any reasonable offer
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Pittsburgh Lifeforms MIDI 3. Had it for a couple of days before I ordered Yarns.

Look at this:

Surely you can send separate MIDI channels to gate/cv 1 and gate/cv 2 in duo mode, right? Wrong.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Plonk, completely useless for melodic use. It doesn’t track with triggers even though it says “trig” on the input. Nothing but a very expensive hats module for me now.

Pamela’s New Workout; good luck getting it to sync reliably with a DIN Sync input.

Anti-Matter Brainseed; Sent it back for calibration twice but still won’t maintain pitch even with an external quantizer.
Old 5 days ago
Only disappointed with myself for modules I bought because of hype instead of research before I was ready for them (piston hondaII, Akemies castle) or had no business buying in the first place (4MS SMR). Now that I'm more seasoned I wish I still had the first 2, but hey the went to good homes with @Derp and @lineofcontrol
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Make Noise Mysteron. I guess I kinda bought into the hype but, I'm also a Make Noise fanboy. It doesn't sound bad, it just seems to have a distinct sound and I can't really seem to find a use for it. I've already pulled it from my rack one of these days when I muster the courage, it's one of the modules going up for sale.

You can probably add the FXDf to the list as well. Bought this with the RxMx. I occasionally use the RxMx but seldom find a need for the FXDf. They'll both be going too.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
Surely you can send separate MIDI channels to gate/cv 1 and gate/cv 2 in duo mode, right? Wrong.
Geez, even the super cheap CVPal does this.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Pitts LPG. Just didn't have that classic west coast LPG sound, no matter how I used it. In fact didn't sound much like a LPG in any respect. Just sort of a bland filter. Come to think of it, I'm pretty much out on all Pitts stuff. It's all just so...meh...but it's cheap I guess.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Pitts LPG. Just didn't have that classic west coast LPG sound, no matter how I used it. In fact didn't sound much like a LPG in any respect. Just sort of a bland filter. Come to think of it, I'm pretty much out on all Pitts stuff. It's all just so...meh...but it's cheap I guess.
I like Pitts for their oscillators and effects, but I gotta agree with you on their LPG. Theirs was the first LPG I owned, and I thought I just didn't like LPG's because of it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

There's a couple that weren't really disappointing as much as they were just replaced by something better (IMO). Neuron was replaced by the Entity BD. There was nothing really wrong with Neuron but the Entity does almost all the same things (except the noise source) and is a lot more flexible, tracks v/o, envelope outs and does a better kick. Same with the Telharmonic. I got the Tel for a unabashed digital oscillator and the ability to do pseudo-chords. Braids does that and so much more so after a while I stopped using the Tel. It still has its charm and I would put it back in the case if I had more space.

I'd probably get flamed for saying this at MW where everyone seems to love the module but I'm a little disappointed with Three Sisters. I just haven't found a good use for the multiple inputs. I've tried to use them in a bunch of patches but I always fall back on just using it as a LP or HP filter and there's a kind of raspy quality to the resonance that I don't really like. I feel like I would be better served by a tried and true transistor ladder. I know the Moog filter sound, love the Moog filter sound and don't have it in my rack (actually I do have the 500 series but never use it). I've been pretty tempted to replace Sisters with the AJH filter but ctrl-mod has been out of stock for a while and I don't feel like paying shipping from the west coast.

I think my biggest disappointment though was DubJr mk2. The only PSU it works with is my old Cell 90. Both the Intelijell and Pittsburgh cases won't power the thing. There is a thread on muffs where the maker (Chris I think) was blaming case manufacturers and claiming that all the Pittsburgh and Deopfer cases are crap and that's why the module doesn't work. I'm thinking - those are two of the biggest case manufacturers and Deopfer invented Euro. Not to mention no body else's modules seem to have a problem running in them. It just seemed like a kinda tone deaf response on top of not really having a fix for a problem many people had to deal with.
Old 4 days ago
The Koma Filter.
It was uber dirty even at the lowest input settings. Very easy to get the resonance screaming too.
I found it basically unusable.
The Cwejman stuff has been disappointing to me. Well made, perfectly fine, but overpriced for what they bring to the table.
I had a lot of Tip Top and Intelijel modules to begin with, but one niggle after another and I don't have any in my system right now.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Maybe the SMR: I don't regret that I bought one but I wouldn't have purchased it as early in my build as I did had I considered its limitations more carefully; I'd have gotten much more frequent use out of another Optomix/Maths (which I still need to grab). I still do get much of my intended use from it and pairing it with a Lofi Junky has given it a real place in my sound but...I don't know exactly what I was thinking when I crushed so hard over it. That DivKid video made it seem more versatile than my usage has proven it to be. But it's not a bad module by any stretch.

Or maybe the Polaris. I haven't gotten around to fiddling with the trimmers yet but I never really fell in love with the sound of the filter (it got added to a system with an Aion, AJH, STG PLF filters already, so stiff competition) and particularly the resonance. And I LOVE COTA filters; my Omsonic has basically become my favorite sounding filter in my rig. I do think, though, that trimming the resonance will allow me to get a sound I like better. And I'd probably keep it anyway for features alone (it's currently my only HPF).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Maybe the SMR: I don't regret that I bought one but I wouldn't have purchased it as early in my build as I did had I considered its limitations more carefully; I'd have gotten much more frequent use out of another Optomix/Maths (which I still need to grab). I still do get much of my intended use from it and pairing it with a Lofi Junky has given it a real place in my sound but...I don't know exactly what I was thinking when I crushed so hard over it. That DivKid video made it seem more versatile than my usage has proven it to be. But it's not a bad module by any stretch.
I'm kind of a victim of the hype train on SMR as well. I heard what it could do with the filters being pinged, thought it was beautiful, and immediately had to have one. Little did I know that that would be the only trick it can do that I particularly liked.
Old 4 days ago
What is SMR?
Would be helpful if you just gave things their name.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

@chrisso...4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator.

Make Noise Echophon was pretty disappointing , not a very pleasant sounding pitch shifter / delay . Imparts the most hideous digital smearing to everything that is run through it.

Please Eventide , bring us an H3000 eurorack module ..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
Please Eventide , bring us an H3000 eurorack module ..
Doubt we're going to see it. Did you see the H9000 they're about to unveil?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah I highly doubt it will ever happen . A man can dream....

The H9000 looks interesting , but I hope they move away from the pristine sound of the H8000 and back to the mojo of the H3XXX series (like thats ever gonna happen). And VSig needs a serious makeover to make it more user friendly....
Old 4 days ago
Yeah, I bought and sold an Echophon.
I actually only have one Make Noise module left in my system (Function).
First one I sold was Rene, due to my dry hands not being able to activate the touch plates.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

2HP Clock Divider, because it doesn't know how to count.

Send it a 4/4 clock:
1XXX2XXX3XXX4XXX

It counts:

1XX2XXX3XXX4XXX or 1X2XXX3XXX4XXX (not quite sure now since it's been a minute since I bothered because it annoys me so much, but regardless it is way off).

You can send it two triggers and then adjust the divider/multiplier and it will be fine, but if you stop the trigger and start it again you will need to dial it in again. Doubly annoying because part of the appeal to me was being able to send CV to the clock division/multiplication, but because it's so wonky you cannot trust it, and it's so tiny that you have to fine tune it constantly in a mass of cables. To be fair, I still need to contact 2HP about it to see if there's a fix, but I'm not the only one with the issue and it's a big fail for this kind of module. Unless you're really making music that's super imprecise it's maddening.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search