The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dreadbox Hades DIY eurorack kit
Old 1 week ago

Dreadbox Hades DIY eurorack kit

heads up: 140 euros
15V DC (I guess that's the PSU)
eurorack compatible (size)

Quote:
Analog Monophonic Synthesizer
Full Analog Circuit only with Through Hole Components
1x VCO with 2 suboctaves and 3 waves (pulse, double saw, saw)
Variable Width for pulse and double saw
Glide control
3-pole 18dB/oct Resonating State Variable Filter
Drive Circuit
OTA based VCA
2 envelope Generators
– Attack, Decay/Release, Sustain
– Attack, Release (VCA hardwired)
Triangle and Square Wave LFO
13 patch points eurorack compatible
External Input
5 MIDI Octaves from C0 up to C5 or unlimited via CV/Gate
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Cool idea with the cardboard case
Old 1 week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Cool idea with the cardboard case
it's perfect to get people hooked into eurocrack
the price is unbeatable.
Old 1 week ago
So that's a little power supply circuit you build for the "case"? As in once you put the Hades in a case you already have you are left with a cardboard euro box with power? Wow.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So that's a little power supply circuit you build for the "case"? As in once you put the Hades in a case you already have you are left with a cardboard euro box with power? Wow.
Euro isn't 15V though, so not quite the nifty it could have been.
Old 1 week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Euro isn't 15V though, so not quite the nifty it could have been.
It could be that the power on the eurorack ribbon cable is 12V and the external PSU (powering the little powerhub & MIDI) is 15V). But that isn't clear yet. I'll try find out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
It could be that the power on the eurorack ribbon cable is 12V and the external PSU (powering the little powerhub & MIDI) is 15V). But that isn't clear yet. I'll try find out.
Ok, it is actually compatible - I thought the "eurorack compatible (size)" in the original post inferred that power was separate.

From the manual ("Modifying for Eurorack"):
Quote:
Use into a modular case:
You need to solder an extra 1M resistor (as shown in the
photo) for the unit to work properly in a modular case.
Otherwise the oscillator will continiously drop in tuning.
This resistor is not included in this DIY kit
Actually its also a lot more DIY than the impression I got from the video

Couldn't spot actual power consumption figures though if you did put it into a rack, although personally generally anything that can be powered in any other way will be.

Wish some of their standalone modules would be released as DIY too though!

EDIT: Oops! Was looking around their site, and misinterpreted their "In stock : 1" (meaning add 1 in stock item to cart) as meaning only 1 left, so jumped on it. Guess I'll report soon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'll certainly have a slice of this, the DIY of course
Old 1 week ago

Quote:
EDIT: Oops! Was looking around their site, and misinterpreted their "In stock : 1" (meaning add 1 in stock item to cart) as meaning only 1 left, so jumped on it. Guess I'll report soon

it's a steal for that money!
you could start a build thread here? could be fun!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Really cool idea, although now my original Hades is looking a bit gimpy with all those patch points on the new one.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

At least there's a tiny bit of scope for personalisation, I've got some lovely Cream & Cyan LEDs so those Reds will have to go.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Really cool idea, although now my original Hades is looking a bit gimpy with all those patch points on the new one.
Since my instabuy, I've looked at it a bit more and there seem to be a couple of other extra's in there too compared to the original.

- some kind of multimode filter - LP 1,2,3,HP
- extra waveform - supersaw?
- sync input, but not sure if thats equivalent to the missing "mod" input on the OG
- oscillator output (pre-filter?)
- sine and pulse outputs for lfo (with independent depth)
- no midi (EDIT: Does have midi on the power board)

Last edited by butter; 3 days ago at 06:56 AM.. Reason: yes, midi!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Since my instabuy, I've looked at it a bit more and there seem to be a couple of other extra's in there too compared to the original.

- some kind of multimode filter - LP 1,2,3,HP
- extra waveform - supersaw?
- sync input, but not sure if thats equivalent to the missing "mod" input on the OG
- oscillator output (pre-filter?)
- sine and pulse outputs for lfo (with independent depth)
- no midi
little correction, Hades DIY got :
- midi in as original Hades
- only 3,5 jack out for the master, no 6,35 out
- no dr/d switch for the envelope
- sync is maybe for the vco sync
- 2 attenuators for the lfo so you can use both of the waves
- and most of all a VCF audio input via the mixer EXT IN ! it seems not to be the case on the original

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, I noticed all the other extras, I just didn't want to talk about them. Frankly the OG seems like it's really lacking at this point and I kinda wish I'd sold it a couple months ago when I was debating it...but whatever. It's still one of the best sounding synths I've ever heard, and it's in a solid metal box and stands alone. Whatever the format, the Hades is a solid synth.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
For those with some experience doing projects like this, how does this look difficulty wise? I've soldered some small individual things but never built anything bigger. 140€ seems like an amazing deal for synth like this (and no, I don't value my time )
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Size doesn't matter, if a project is bigger it just means there's more soldering it's not harder just more time consuming.
Old 6 days ago

there's a bit of things you can do to make building such a kit easier (easy)
the hard part is sourcing parts and buying these but that's already been taken care of, since this is a full kit (apart from one resistor apparantly)
we could do a "handy **** for DIY" thread.

I guess this is a difficult build, the board is quite big.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
there's a bit of things you can do to make building such a kit easier (easy)
the hard part is sourcing parts and buying these but that's already been taken care of, since this is a full kit (apart from one resistor apparantly)
we could do a "handy **** for DIY" thread.

I guess this is a difficult build, the board is quite big.
I was thinking this morning that a modular DIY thread would be cool as I'm about to embark on building an Easel. I think it's Cane Creek that has built the majority of his modules. There's a few of us around here I reckon.
Old 6 days ago

Oh please do start a build thread for that Easel? Awesome project. I'd love to see the whole process of building that!
I was thinking someone start a tips and tricks thread for DIY, like what do you need, what soldering iron you use or recommend, SMT soldering, that kind of thing
It would be nice to have that info all by itself, no? It's just a suggestion of course.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh please do start a build thread for that Easel? Awesome project. I'd love to see the whole process of building that!
I was thinking someone start a tips and tricks thread for DIY, like what do you need, what soldering iron you use or recommend, SMT soldering, that kind of thing
It would be nice to have that info all by itself, no? It's just a suggestion of course.
I don't particularly wish to have a thread just for me and my build but if there were a general DIY thread where people showed their in progress or finished projects I would certainly contribute. You could start one and block out some space at the beginning for DIY tips and tricks. I'm still very much a novice builder myself. I'm just blatantly stupid when it comes to throwing money at projects way over my head.
Old 6 days ago

Quote:
throwing money at projects way over my head
hehe I can relate no guts no glory (or something)
Then I'd still suggest you start your Easel build thread. I'd really like that, and I think a general DIY thread would become too cluttered really quickly, with all kinds of projects at the same time. You could posts some problem or challenge during the build, and we may (or may not ) be able to help.
A BOM and schematics posted would be useful in the first post.

< moderator hat on Muff has it's own (good) DIY subforum, so I think posting individual build threads here, would be a nice addition to what's going on there. External links (to there) are allowed. >

Edit: I've started a general DIY knowledge thread. some videos about soldering to start it off.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm happy to share any advice/information about any DIY I've learnt along the way, I just can't reply as quick as I would like due to my new job which keeps me away from Internet.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

I am planning on buying this kit when it becomes available again. This will be my first DIY project. It looks easy enough so I think it would be ace for a first one.

Can anyone recommend other readily available DIY kit synths of this kind of complexity? Before I pull the trigger on the Hades I would like to see what other comparable DIY kits are out there .

Cheers
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopl View Post
I am planning on buying this kit when it becomes available again. This will be my first DIY project. It looks easy enough so I think it would be ace for a first one.

Can anyone recommend other readily available DIY kit synths of this kind of complexity? Before I pull the trigger on the Hades I would like to see what other comparable DIY kits are out there .

Cheers
Yes, my situation exactly! Very much interested in this as well, this Hades thing might be my gateway drug into both modular and DIY. I was thinking to buy a soldering iron this weekend, and maybe order some guitar effect kits to practice on, but most of them are so boring. Something synthi with CV would be much preferable.

edit: oh hi btw! First post here, I think, but I've been lurking around for a while.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Looks like the cardboard box version has sold out but still available as eurorack. It's got to be a no brainer from them to do the Erebus in a similar way.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Sold out, I didn't realise they were for sale yet and I've just used the last of my cash ordering a KordBot
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Woooooah! The words I'd like to type won't show up on GS... Greece to remote Japan in 3 days!

Not only that, bonus module in the box!

(B-stock passive attenuator that's wired backwards - no complaints from me though!)

Not sure when I'll get to build it though - surprised it got here so quick that I still have to order a few bits and pieces (wanted to socket the chips and without pillaging from other waiting kits, don't have a 1K resistor needed for eurolying around either - must admit its a bit weird of them to have omitted that!) Otherwise it looks pretty good and component bags are a lot more organised than some kits I've done - almost all packed in separate bags by type and hand-labelled instead of all being mixed up in a single bag.

Have about another 10 DIY modules waiting in line, but suspect this is going to jump the queue...
Attached Thumbnails
Dreadbox Hades DIY eurorack kit-hades-out.jpg   Dreadbox Hades DIY eurorack kit-hades-.jpg   Dreadbox Hades DIY eurorack kit-hades-inside.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

@butter is the 1k resistor at Tempco resistor ?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
@butter is the 1k resistor at Tempco resistor ?
No, nothing special about it.... Actually the options are:
- external power : do nothing
- external OR euro : add 1K
- euro only: jumper the gap

The little power/midi board is quite interesting though... I'd missed the midi at first because its not on the front panel and separated off on the little board which I thought was a bit of a weird decision, but was interested to see if would be possible to piggyback another module or two off the power supply....

I'll get back to that idea later, but cleverly the little midi->cv converter outputs onto the bus pins of the eurorack cable connector, so their thinking started to make some sense. Anyway, lots of hacky ideas for this extra board too, probably the least of which is that if you are intending to use the Hades in Euro, the little board would require basically no mods to work as a standalone basic midi->CV converter (pitch/gate only but there is bend), all you have to do is wire up some jacks instead of the euro headers and mount it in a cigarette box or something.

Suppose its also worth noting that if you do mount it in euro, and do make use of your bus, you will need to get a 16/10 euro cable if you don't want it to respond...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Don't worry folks, the Hades DIY kit won't be sold out for long. The site states the next batch will be in stock next week.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search