The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
OH MY GAWD!!! I'M SO JELLY!!!
I would love one of these, but can't bring myself to use "computer in a Eurorack module". Damn it's impressive, though.

So latest additions are clock modules from 4ms, which for me were the missing link between external sequencers and Euro. Super stuff. Very cool with Rene, too.

Need to re-jig layout now, so that the QPLFO / QPEG sit close by to link with the QCD via ribbon cable for easy syncing.

See attachments ...
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-qcdfinal2b-420.jpg   New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-qcdexp2f4-420.jpg   New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-rcd_front_2ea-420.jpg   New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-rcdbo_finalcf-420.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPunkHippy View Post
I would love one of these, but can't bring myself to use "computer in a Eurorack module". Damn it's impressive, though.

So latest additions are clock modules from 4ms, which for me were the missing link between external sequencers and Euro. Super stuff. Very cool with Rene, too.

Need to re-jig layout now, so that the QPLFO / QPEG sit close by to link with the QCD via ribbon cable for easy syncing.

See attachments ...
This is what my rig needs. I have an abundance of clock sources but nothing that does any of the cool stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
This is what my rig needs. I have an abundance of clock sources but nothing that does any of the cool stuff.
I can attest that everything changes when you start bringing clock division into your modular. RCD in particular is a lot of fun.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My first euro sequencer and a 6 ch mixer makes my drum rack happy. So glad Bastl started offering their modules in aluminum. The wood panels always kept me away but the whole line is super well thought out. Lookin at Granpa and Cinnamon now.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

2 x Disting Mk4's in the post:

1 x Intellijel Dr Octature should be here in a week:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

no idea why I keep spending my euromoney on anything but the er-301
but this should be very fun to explore
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
but this should be very fun to explore
It was recently pointed out to me that this module has killer patch randomization on it. I want one so hard.
Old 1 week ago
payed for this today:

love the digital-with-character sound of Harvestmans. already have the gritty lofi Hertz Donut MK1, and they sound different/interesting enough to warrant having both if you ask me. i may have a thing for complex oscillators - together with Endorphin FG and HD1, this is my third one.

it adds several things, like new tracking modes, folder modes and most importantly, TZFM functionality. i wanted it for years, and finally found a unit for a great price.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
2 x Disting Mk4's in the post:

Cool, I just got a Disting Mk4 in the mail today, am playing with it for the first time just now. Was just going to step through the presets and see what it does, but I came up with something cool using the A1 preset that I've been playing with for the last hour. Have a feeling this thing will get used a lot!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAndImprov View Post
Cool, I just got a Disting Mk4 in the mail today, am playing with it for the first time just now. Was just going to step through the presets and see what it does, but I came up with something cool using the A1 preset that I've been playing with for the last hour. Have a feeling this thing will get used a lot!
I'll be joining you when they arrive tomorrow mate.

Printed and laminated one of these today in preparation: http://www.vo1t.com/Euro/Illustrated...ingMk4V4.3.pdf
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll be joining you when they arrive tomorrow mate.

Printed and laminated one of these today in preparation: http://www.vo1t.com/Euro/Illustrated...ingMk4V4.3.pdf
Thanks for sharing that. Exactly what I need. So far I haven't dipped too deep into the Disting. I think I'd like it more if it were a few HP bigger and had a better interface. That tiny LED screen is kind of annoying.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that. Exactly what I need. So far I haven't dipped too deep into the Disting. I think I'd like it more if it were a few HP bigger and had a better interface. That tiny LED screen is kind of annoying.
Mine is woefully unexplored too. I need to print out the manual and stick it on the wall. The clicky encoder programming is not the ideal interface but it is what it is. I do like the LED IO though. It really helps figuring out what is going on.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just been having a quick play and, while it doesn't bother me too much, I can see some people hating it. The only thing that really annoys me so far is getting no numbered readout on the LED screen when you adjust the Z parameter.

I can easily put up with the flaws for the sheer utility of these things, especially since I have a small system.

Need a high pass filter and don't have one in your rack? Disting D5. Run out of envelopes? Disting E1. Need to tune an oscillator? Disting G5.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I can easily put up with the flaws for the sheer utility of these things, especially since I have a small system.
I thought so too at first, but then I thought a little more and decided I didn't want a computer with a clumsy interface in my rack when I have a much better one standing right next to it.

Different strokes, of course, but to me it feels like Disting defeats the purpose of modular.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts View Post
Different strokes, of course, but to me it feels like Disting defeats the purpose of modular.
That's kind of my thought as well. While it is neat that if you had a rack full of nothing but Distings, you could build a pretty complex voice, the amount of effort that goes into it kind of doesn't make it worth it. Think what I'm ultimately going to do with mine is sit down and figure out how to get it to playback the Adventure Kid waveforms and once I get that programmed, just leave it like that, like a set-and-forget kind of module.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Not that exciting but always necessary, I got some more cables from Modular Addict. Ten 48" braided pink cables, and ten 48" pink stacking cables. If anyone's looking for a good Stackable alternative, I'm still very happy with my 24" Modular Addict stacking cables. I think these may actually be built better and will last longer, but time will tell.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

This finally showed up last night, putting both racks at capacity ... Seems to sound fatter than the Erica Wavetable (but that could just be a newness related placebo effect) and I love the Cloud function.

Paired it with an LPG for a first, simple techno-ish patch and it gave me a whole new feel as to what type of sound I can pull from my racks.

Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-img_0911.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Just traded the last of my Dot Com for one of these:

I wish it had more CV control, but the demos just sounded soooo good. I'm imagining doing frequency sweeps on pads is going to sound amazing.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I love my Dave Smith stuff so I wanted a DSM01 and one came up very cheap on the Bay. Sounds great but it seems seriously quiet. Does anyone else have one and do you have the same experience?

Old 4 days ago
Are you using VCF out or VCA out?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Are you using VCF out or VCA out?
Tried both
Old 4 days ago
Hmmm...
VCF Out should be normal level.
The VCA Out would need some control voltage to sound right i would think (I don't have the DSM01). I have the DSM03 and it is normal level wise.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love my Dave Smith stuff so I wanted a DSM01 and one came up very cheap on the Bay. Sounds great but it seems seriously quiet. Does anyone else have one and do you have the same experience?
I've got one and yeah, it's a quiet module. I keep the boost on not to add any drive, but just to make it a little louder. Even then, it's still very quiet. Sounds good though, so it's worth putting up with, I think. Put a couple VCO's through it, and you've got an instant Pro One.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Hmmm...
VCF Out should be normal level.
The VCA Out would need some control voltage to sound right i would think (I don't have the DSM01). I have the DSM03 and it is normal level wise.
It works the same way Ripples works. The VCA out is normalled and passes the output unless you break the normal with an input to the VCA CV.

I'm not sure what "quiet" is though. A demo would be helpful, relative to other filters.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conjure View Post
It works the same way Ripples works. The VCA out is normalled and passes the output unless you break the normal with an input to the VCA CV.

I'm not sure what "quiet" is though. A demo would be helpful, relative to other filters.
Audio: MI Tides > various filters (open fully, no res) > Erica Synths Black Quad VCA > out
CV: Numerology Sequence > MI Yarns Gate > Make Noise Function > VCA.
Modulation: None on anything
File: Normalised WAV (24/48k) from Ableton, no processing at all uploaded to Soundcloud:

5 x 8 bars straight after one another as follows:

1. No filter
2. Erica Synths Black Polivoks VCF
3. MI Ripples (LP4)
4. Dave Smith DSM01 (VCF out, -24 slope, boost on)
5. Dave Smith DSM01 (VCF out, -24 slope, boost off)

Screenshot of the exported WAV back in Ableton to show the huge difference in output level compared to the other filters:

And this is before you start to close the filter which makes things even quieter.

Last edited by base615; 3 days ago at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Couldn't upload WAV. Uploaded to Soundcloud instead
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Finished building it yesterday, so its new gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search