Getting a Buchla Easel
Old 10th March 2016 | Show parent
TBS
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
any updates on your prospective Easel?
Got it!

Ordered through BEMI and received it 92 days after it was ordered.

Overall I'm very happy and despite a few minor lapses I found the communication to be satisfactory.

Wish I had known they were going to sell the B-stock keyboard versions for $1000 cheaper though.
Old 12th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS View Post
Got it!

Overall I'm very happy and despite a few minor lapses I found the communication to be satisfactory.

Wish I had known they were going to sell the B-stock keyboard versions for $1000 cheaper though.
cool, so its roughly 3 months delivery
Old 22nd May 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS View Post
Got it!

How has yours been working? Any issues?
Old 22nd May 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

For those interested, Kristian Westegard has some beautiful ambient soundscape work up on Soundcloud created (mostly) live with just an Easel, looper, and reverb. Shows a different side of the instrument from most of the Easel work I've been hearing.

Here's an example:

And another (this one is completely live - I asked him):

Kristian's work has probably pushed me closer to purchasing an Easel than anything else I've heard to date.

Last edited by GhostofAlgernon; 23rd May 2016 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Added another Sound Cloud Example
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Maniac
I got to try my friends Buchla.

It's an amazing instrument, but is it worth spending all that money?
What are you experiences? Did you regret buying it? Alternatives?

This is my very first jam on a Buchla.

Old 8th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I bought a new Buchla Music Easel a few months ago and received it in a couple weeks. So the wait time isn't that bad anymore.

My only complaint is build quality - the wire that solders the spring reverb to the rest of the unit was not soldered. so I contacted Buchla and they told me the spring reverb almost always comes broken and they sent me a new spring reverb and directions of how to replace it myself. Since I am not technical enough to fix it myself I got a pro to do it and when he opened it up my reverb wasn't broken, Buchla just forgot to solder the wire.

Another complaint on build quality is my touch keyboard module sometimes isn't responsive and I need to turn the Buchla off and back on to get it to be responsive. it doesn't happen often, but I noticed start happening after owning it for a week or two.

It sounds INCREDIBLE!!! I love owning a Buchla but when people complain about the build quality I can see why. My Buchla along with my tape echo delay are the two most finicky items I own in my studio.
Old 11th October 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Another complaint on build quality is my touch keyboard module sometimes isn't responsive and I need to turn the Buchla off and back on to get it to be responsive. it doesn't happen often, but I noticed start happening after owning it for a week or two.
Make sure to use the grounding wire when using the keyboard. Otherwise adverse conditions can make it act funky.
Old 11th October 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
The music easel is discontinued.. they have replaced it with a all smt module version in a boat.... My heart is broken..
Old 12th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
The music easel is discontinued.. they have replaced it with a all smt module version in a boat.... My heart is broken..
Why heartbroken? I just re-listened to Erics interview on that Buchla podcast and the Easel/218/suitcase is only on hiatus. Sounded like to streamline/find better processes. I certainly hope it's not because of the perpetual myth that SMT is inferior to through hole. You can always try finding a 218r and a 3rd party case.
Old 13th October 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
No, is that I was anticipating them going to smt, and I was hoping that when they do, they would find a way to sell the smt version cheaper... Now I see that is gonna be impossible, and I really don't get why.
. Is much less pcb's now and cheaper circuits.. yet it's still about the same price. I do hope they bring the easel back though.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Why such a price?

So to the owners of this can you explain why this is nearly £5000 on KMR?
📝 Reply