The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you want a Korg ARP 2600 reissue ? Modular Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Do You Want A Korg ARP 2600
Yes, but only if it´s about $1000
175 Votes - 48.08%
Yes, I can pay up to $2500
122 Votes - 33.52%
Yes , I can pay up to $4500 or even more
25 Votes - 6.87%
No I hate reissues
16 Votes - 4.40%
No , Roland SYSTEM-1 is da FUTURE
19 Votes - 5.22%
No , I already have the original.
7 Votes - 1.92%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Do you want a Korg ARP 2600 reissue ?

Do you ?

Use the Poll.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Hell no.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Just buy the TTSH plans and start cranking those out, assembly line style. Still trough-hole, otherwise no thanks.
Old 3rd March 2014
My initial response was, "**** yes, I want it", but I don't really have the space for it, and there's a whole bunch of synths I'd rather get than this one. So I don't think I'll be getting it. Where's the "No - I don't want it" option? :p
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

It seems that the Odyssey has the same circuits, just hardwired, and it seems the sound is 99% the same. So, I will be fine with the Korg Odyssey.

But for the longest time the 2600 was the holy grail.
Old 3rd March 2014
Tempting. Yes.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, but also

KARP Chroma II

Roland System-2
Old 3rd March 2014
Yeah for sure i d like a brand new one 2600 . And wiling to pay the price it takes to get a real analogue without any sound compromise ... So up to 2500 $ ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
My initial response was, "**** yes, I want it", but I don't really have the space for it, and there's a whole bunch of synths I'd rather get than this one. So I don't think I'll be getting it. Where's the "No - I don't want it" option? :p
lol , I forgot that option:D
It may have turned up as the most voted one
However I can´t add that option now , as the poll options are locked after submitting a poll.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

ARP 2600 was the first real analog synth I ever used. We had one in my synthesis class in college. I miss it, it was a great way to kill a few hours.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear
Nah. I can't imagine Korg reissuing the 2600. It's more expensive than the Odyssey, not as widely known, and there's already direct competition with the TTSH. Each of those factors individually could cause the market to be smaller than it is for the Odyssey. Taken together the market could shrink to the size that only a botique manufacturer would touch.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
It seems that the Odyssey has the same circuits, just hardwired, and it seems the sound is 99% the same. So, I will be fine with the Korg Odyssey.

But for the longest time the 2600 was the holy grail.
Having used the 2600 extensively and now having an Odyssey, I can say the differences are pretty vast.

The list is long, but the main one for me is that of the three oscillators, they left out the good one. No sine wave!

I know, self osc but still...
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

The 2600 was the first synth I was ever able to identify by sound alone. I've always wanted one, and don't think my soldering skills are great enough to successfully build the TTSH. I'd be first in line for a completed reissue.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

double post .. sorry
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Why not ARP 2800 …

we have original raps and TTSH ..

lets them keep spirit of 2600 and expand to 2800 with new things added to 2600 !!

like multimode filter, second VC LFO , another ADSR, maybe a sequencer , Voltage controlled clock
Old 3rd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Just buy the TTSH plans and start cranking those out, assembly line style. Still trough-hole, otherwise no thanks.
The TTSH doesn't have midi. That's a deal breaker for me.

I already have 4 mono synths. My thinking is, why get the MS20 when you could get a 2600? That's what I am holding out for.

I'm willing to pay around $2500. Much more than that and I might as well consider an expensive poly like the SE Code.
Old 3rd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree View Post
It's more expensive than the Odyssey, not as widely known
More expensive, sure. But less known than the Odyssey? I would dispute that.
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

I would love a 2600! Been drooling over these for year. Bring them on!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
The TTSH doesn't have midi. That's a deal breaker for me.
Seeing that the MIDI on the MS20 is dumbed down like that, why not just get a Kenton box?

It's only a few extra bucks in the grand scheme of things
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'd like one in grey with a turquoise tolex case and sliders
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
Why not ARP 2800 …

we have original raps and TTSH ..

lets them keep spirit of 2600 and expand to 2800 with new things added to 2600 !!

like multimode filter, second VC LFO , another ADSR, maybe a sequencer , Voltage controlled clock

According to VSE, the original ARP Odyssey is also named 2800

ARP Odyssey Review | Vintage Synth Explorer

At least that's what shows up under the Mark I image :P

More on topic, I'd quite like one, but I think 2500$ would likely be a bit too expensive for their target audience...

How much more expensive was the ARP 2600 when compared with the Odyssey?
Would it be possible to make one of those now for just a bit more than an Odyssey using modern production techniques?
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

If the poll didn't have the reasons, I could use it. As it is, I can't. My response to the question is No.
Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Seeing that the MIDI on the MS20 is dumbed down like that, why not just get a Kenton box?

It's only a few extra bucks in the grand scheme of things
Its one more thing to transport to Brazil and could break or get extorted thru customs, and I'd rather not worry about incompatibility issues. I'd have to buy 2 otherwise I'd be screwed in 20 years or whatever if Kenton is no longer a company, and I need another one. Plus I need a USA distributor or I'd have to do the post office thing and pay enormous tariffs.

Dumbed down midi is just fine - I don't use CC much. Omni mode is a problem though - I absolutely must be able to switch midi channels. Is the new ms20 stuck in OMNI mode, ie channel 1? I couldn't find an updated manual via google.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have no interest in these synth reissues. I'm more interested in the newer stuff. I doubt any of the vintage synths will be as great as a new Sub 37 AND be reliable and require little to no maintenance.

The reissues may improve on reliability, and may offer some upgrades like MIDI, but I'm still more interested in where analog goes next.

The only reissues I want are analog drum machines and groove-stations.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

You can forget the $1000 option unless they made it in micro size at like 10"x14" lol.

Why not 2500 still cheaper than a voyager
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
I have no interest in these synth reissues. I'm more interested in the newer stuff. I doubt any of the vintage synths will be as great as a new Sub 37 AND be reliable and require little to no maintenance.

The reissues may improve on reliability, and may offer some upgrades like MIDI, but I'm still more interested in where analog goes next.

Normally I'd agree given the sub 37's got a built in sequencer and some other cool stuff, but out of all the synths to compare it to, the sub37 actually reminds me a lot of an odyssey's feature set. Particularly the duophonic/2-voice paraphony bit, that's definitely something odyssey and 2600 (w/3620 keyboard) were known for....

I've heard and seen plenty of stories of people with new moogs, voyagers and the like, having issues and numerous warranty/replacements, so I wouldn't count on them being problem-free simply because they're newer. Especially the first batch, moog has definitely put out various upgrades/revisions to nearly every one of their current products, so nothing is perfect out the door.

Also, we're talking about reliability in comparison to nearly 40 year old synths - you could very well be eating your words in the long run in regards to reliability, things just aren't made like they used to be anymore...how well will these modern moog's be working in 40 years? I bet the old arps will still be repairable even then..what about these modern synths?
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post

New MOOGs are having corners cut apparently, cheaper components, much higher failure rates than their stuff when Bob was alive. Just a rumour but worth mentioning.
Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
New MOOGs are having corners cut apparently, cheaper components, much higher failure rates than their stuff when Bob was alive. Just a rumour but worth mentioning.
The failure rate is indeed high on the Voyagers analog board. But that is pretty much their only problem child. Cheap components are not the issue imho.

No other product of theirs suffers anywhere near the high casualty rate of the Voyager, AFAIK. I have lots of their stuff with no problems besides the Voyager.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, but only if it's digital and has enlighted knobs.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

So , the most popular option so far is , Yes , but only if it´s about $1000. Runner up is up to $2500 which I guess will be be more realistic , but consider it is just a monophonic I wouldn´t be surprised if the listprice should be $1999 and streetprice even lower let´s say $1699.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search