The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you want a Korg ARP 2600 reissue ? Modular Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Do You Want A Korg ARP 2600
Yes, but only if it´s about $1000
175 Votes - 48.08%
Yes, I can pay up to $2500
122 Votes - 33.52%
Yes , I can pay up to $4500 or even more
25 Votes - 6.87%
No I hate reissues
16 Votes - 4.40%
No , Roland SYSTEM-1 is da FUTURE
19 Votes - 5.22%
No , I already have the original.
7 Votes - 1.92%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Disappointed in you gearslutz! Always with the 'only want at a certain price point'. A synth costs what it costs. The true geatslutz wants a 2600 reissue at any cost, paying for it is a mere 10 year personal loan.

B
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

No option: 'I don't know who or what an Arop 2600 is'?
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
No option: 'I don't know who or what an Arop 2600 is'?
No, because there's just no excuse if you can not type these words in a search engine and educate yourself.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

not that any of this matters as korg likely wont release a 2600 anyway. i'd be more than happy enough with the odyssey, if it's done properly.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
More expensive, sure. But less known than the Odyssey? I would dispute that.
The 2600 is certainly more desirable amongst the analogue enthusiast community, I would prefer that over the Odyssey.

Not sure if the Odyssey is more well known generally.

I hope they do the Arp 1601 sequencer to go with it, and the Korg SQ-10 to go with the Korg MS-20 reissues.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yep, I would love to have a 2600 - as a lot of my loved musicians from the 70's/80's used them, and would love to learn what they did to get that sound!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well it's basically just a mono synth without keyboard and patch memory, and quite similar to the odyssey. How expensive could it be? If the odyssey reissue turns out sounding identical to the original, then I'd assume a lot of people would be all over a somewhat pricier 2600 reissue.

I say forget about MIDI and throw in some extra features like osc sync, another EG or two, extended CV control etc. As long as it sounds like the original when the extra features aren't used, then extra features will only make the 2600 more atractive than before. Add to it its going price for several years now on the second hand market, and you have a winner which could be sold with a nice profit margin.
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
A mini 2600 at under 1000 would be so cool.

Imagine a mini arp2500. That would be insane !
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Well it's basically just a mono synth without keyboard and patch memory, and quite similar to the odyssey.
I would want the 3620 keyboard to go with it.
Old 11th March 2014
how about- No, but I would still like to see it available again.

instead, I chuckled and went with the 5th option, personally I am far more interested in the System-1.

I used to have an Odyssey and it is a brilliant synth and easily one of my favorites of the golden era but I'll never buy one again. I always wanted a 2600 but unless they figure out how to give it patch memory and... actually, never mind.. I love the old analogs but they just don't fit into my workflow and aren't at all worth my time, space or money.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Phuck yes i want one, but only if built sturdy for extensive gigging,
(2600 is the raddest synth to program on the fly that i've ever tried/owned/known!)

no way i'm gigging my 40+ yr old 2600 grayface!!!

Option 1 is totally bunk, to me.
here's why:
If they charge under $1000 for all the necessary hardware, mini or not, it will be poo-poo and fall apart within 2 tours for sure.
This is because you can't make a cheap 2600 and have it still be a 2600...even the TTSH which is DIY costs a pretty penny - and all you get is a PCB and the front panel! You still have to build your own case, source all the parts inside and all the jacks and switches, sliders and keyboard separately. Pay someone that knows what they're doing to build it ~correctly~ and there goes at least another $500; who knows.
The potentiometer-sliders aren't cheap-o like on the oddy, solus, axxe etc....they're smooth.
The original's jacks are pricey switchcraft(this can be done cheaper now) that haven't had one failure on mine yet, which is hardly typical for jacks in 1/8"/3.5mm.

I hope they do build it, and I know it won't be all that much like the originals if they do. It's the great design of the thing that deserves a reissue in some form besides DIY. But it would have to be closer to $2k than $1k, i reckon, for it to be much good for long.

oh... saying "NO don't build it" is sort of like telling fender or gibson to stop building strats and pauls. Or yamaha, ibanez etc to stop all variant designs/copies. It's just weird.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

So 73 people wants a Korg ARP 2600 if it is under $1000 , 47 people if it is under $2500 which is more likely a more realistic cost.
More votes please ! 14 people thinks Roland SYSTEM 1 is the future !
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

This thread shows that there are actually limits to how much companies should listen to Gearslutz :-P

So many unrealistic desires and peculiar requests.
Old 24th March 2014
i see no point in another reissue of 2600. the HumanComparator's TTSH sounds fantastic. doubt the korg oddy will have anything near that sound. its easy to build in MIDI into it. thats why its DIY. there's plenty of room and crapload of MIDI interface PCBs arround with whatever list of features you want (like the polydac etc).

that being said, i am definitely going for the TTSH, but in second or maybe third batch. ive spent the money intended for it on euro and vintages. and its not going to have MIDI as expert sleepers is millions of yrs ahead in evolution for control and timing of analog instruments.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensory View Post

Imagine a mini arp2500. That would be insane !
We'd be able to communicate with extra-terrestrials again.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

TTSH exists so no need really if you can find someone to build it for you or do it yourself.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

That would be cool if it had 2 real ADSR envelopes.

Regards
Demokid
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

i voted yes but have no plans of buying one, not in my budget.
Old 24th March 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
We'd be able to communicate with extra-terrestrials again.
Yes the original doubled as a flux capacitor just like the ark of the covenant.
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear

Bumping this , more votes please !
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Addict

Given the current trend, it will have mini keys, so no.
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear

I've picked "No - system 1 is the future". I don't actually think it is, but it's the closest to my actual opinion which is: "no, it's too big, inconvenient, and the Oddy exists"
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Guru

yes and I'm happy to pay if it's proper quality and not cheaply made with wobbly knobs and crap..
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear
Yes for £1000 would be nice.
Old 12th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Bumping this , more votes please !
It's a shame your 'no' votes were loaded. What's wrong with just 'no, I'm not interested in a Korg 2600'?
I am not against reissues per say, nor do I think the Roland is the future.
If you really wanted an honest vote you would have at least included simple 'yes' and 'no' options.
The 2600 is the one synth I regret selling (lightened my load when I moved abroad).
As far as I'm concerned it is quite different from the Odyssey.
Actually, the early 2600's (of which mine was one) had quite cheap components and were quite badly built So ironic people are already complaining of corners Korg might cut if they reissued it.
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Guru

Nothing wrong with wanting something built well with quality parts, or would you prefer they made it bad like the original..??
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear

No.

ARP's are not my kind of synths, sorry

Old 12th January 2016
Gear Addict

For the price the TTSH is a winner, not only that, good design, sound etc.
If someone needs one 2600, get the TTSH.
Its amasing.

Otherwise you have to spend over 6000/7000 or more bucks for the original.
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear
yea
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog1 View Post
For the price the TTSH is a winner, not only that, good design, sound etc.
If someone needs one 2600, get the TTSH.
Its amasing.

Otherwise you have to spend over 6000/7000 or more bucks for the original.
the TTSH is discontinued..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search