The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Euro Modular filters like the Moog ladder?
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

I hear a lot of good talk about the Bubblesound SEM filter
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Don't forget guys when you talk modular filters it's make a huge difference what VCA you feed it thru.
Old 18th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Yes, and to be completely honest the whole build has been a farce I was one of the early adopters and nobody was coming back on the forum with answers to the sloppy build! When they did answer they were continusly changing their minds of what components you need and giving wrong information on the BOM, it's been sat there half built as I lost interest and since then built a L-1 compressor, Moog rouge filter and almost finished a Thomas Henry ADSR (just waiting for Green 9mm Alpha Pots)
Those who have finished the build there appears to be are a lot problems with Bleed in certain settings, so I don't feel like wasting anymore of my time on it at the moment.

Will I ever finish the SEM....... ?

L-1, Thonk, Fonitronik are superb Modules to build but I'll be giving Moogah a wide birth in future as I have my doubts if he ever had a 100% working SEM infront of him before he started selling the PCB's.
Yeah , I had a look at the thread on Muff's . Looked like a train wreck , no clear documentation about the build , errors all over the place . Still Fonik's demo of it is awesome .
Old 18th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Don't forget guys when you talk modular filters it's make a huge difference what VCA you feed it thru.
Very true. I was thinking about getting the upcoming Frequencey Central VCA paired with their envelope for some snappy bass.

Btw, how do you like the Vogue filter? I was considering that one.

Oakley has some cool sounding modules. This really isn't what I'm looking for, but pretty cool: Oakley Croglin VCF Test - YouTube
Old 19th July 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
it may have the same IC core as a prophet-5, but all the surrounding circuitry will cause it to behave and sound differently.
just the internal feedback/resonance implementation alone can make a big difference even if the core IC is the same.
no IC inside - MOTM440 is a full discrete recreation of cascaded integrator circuit filter found in the original SSM2040 (as in early P5). as you said it seems different from original, but never the less sounds phenomenal , almost acoustic, as it is. if i ever go 5U, i want it. for E440 Paul moved from thru hole to smaller components and SMT. some ppl on muffs said they arent 1:1 in sound. who knows, probably another variation on the theme.

Z2040 sounds unconvincing for a SSM to me. clean, not enough liquid.

i ended up with cpl of old AM2101 pcbs from Rob @ AM, and im going to stuff some spare 2040 for my rev2 inside. i went this route bcs it was much cheaper for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
The main problem I have with modular filters is that a lot of while sounding very hifi, can sound very surgical. Maybe that's the nature of modular vs. a hardware synth or maybe just the nature of modular Osc in general.
my impression is it depends most on how vcf (and vca) circuit was done, and what components were used. for example, where they new super hifi super fast spec opamps in SMT, or something earlier in thru hole (like many 5U) , or even flerting with NOS parts like CA series, 301 and 741 from 70s.

as far as classic big organic sounds go, i prefer most i heard in 5U to average euro designs. not all, but most. Macbeth sound awesome in 3U , but that guy didnt save on parts or space. he used NOS wherever he could. AM synth JP8 i like a lot too, very faithful.

as someone already mentioned, a discrete VCA, that enters nice euphonic non linear range when pushed helps the filter a lot.

new 4012 from Rob might be a contender for nice ladder in euro. but availability with this guy is hit n miss. and notification mails to alert availability dont work either. ive been tryin to buy the JP8 and SH5 module without sucess.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The main problem I have with modular filters is that a lot of while sounding very hifi, can sound very surgical. Maybe that's the nature of modular vs. a hardware synth or maybe just the nature of modular Osc in general.
If that's your impression, you might not be looking hard enough. While there are many precise/surgical/clinical sounding filters on the market, there are just as many (if not more) designed to add instability, grunge, and dirt. This is especially true in Euro. In fact, all of the filters in my Euro system are of this sort of type: The Harvestman Polivoks VCF, the Doepfer X-treme and Wasp filters, and the Make Noise QMMG. There are gobs of other twisted lo-fi filters on the market.

I keep the hi-fi stuff in my 5U (though if I had more money and space, I'd add some gritter modules there too). I have the MOTM 440 and 480 filters as well as the Oakley Diode Superladder (the exact one in that video from Thomas White). The 440 is as good as everyone says it is. And while it does have a euphonic hi-fi sound, it takes abuse well. Overdrive it a bit and it will snarl; this is even easier on the E440, since Paul's added a dedicated drive control. And the FM response is lovely. The Oakley diode superladder is the juiciest and most liquid filter I've yet come across. And it can scream and squelch with the best of them. The E480 can be heavenly. While I'd consider all of these to be hi-fi filters (especially in comparison to what I've got in Euro) I wouldn't consider any of them to be clinical or sterile. While some quality higher-quality filters can be a snoozefest, these all have great personality.

If you want a Eurorack filter that's liquid and diode laddery, you might consider checking out the STG Sea Devils filter.
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you want a Eurorack filter that's liquid and diode laddery, you might consider checking out the STG Sea Devils filter.
Just make sure your case is deep enough for it - it's a long pcb...was more than a 1/4" too deep for my monorocket...
Lives for gear

@clusterchord - I just picked up the JP8 filter a week ago , after visiting the site everyday for the past 3 months and clicking on the buy button . Couldnt believe my luck when it didnt say "Product out of stock".......

2 days later they were all gone.....

It was well worth waiting for .
Lives for gear

Looks like I'm going to do something I didn't think I would do, go for 5U format. I kind of wrote this format off since Euro is so vast and you can get every flavor of everything. But I really like the quality I'm hearing from 5U. The 15V that the power supplies supply to the modules seems to make a big difference in overall sound. Maybe it actually is just the modules and companies, but there seems to be a difference in overall sound between the 2 formats. Still, I'm looking to pick up one of the AM modules also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
@clusterchord - I just picked up the JP8 filter a week ago , after visiting the site everyday for the past 3 months and clicking on the buy button . Couldnt believe my luck when it didnt say "Product out of stock".......

2 days later they were all gone.....

It was well worth waiting for .
Care to post any examples?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still, I'm looking to pick up one of the AM modules also.
Good luck with that lol, just keep checking and you'll get one eventually.

The Abstract Data ADE-20: Multi-Mode Filter looks a superb filter too.
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah for now I'm just going Oakley and maybe a Boogie or A108. I'll be checking them out to see what becomes available.

Never heard of that last company. That second clip they have on their site is narly, lots of stuff going on.
Old 6th October 2014
Lives for gear
Since every filter Im looking at is mentioned Ill ask here.
Im rounding out my first 6U and Ive really neglected filters. The first and the only 100% is the L1 Mutant filter. For anyone that has buit it - looks pretty easy - is it though?
The others I am considering are the SV SVF, Moogah SEM, Frequency Central electro cardiogram and Vogue - all of them sound amazing.
I have so many vactoral based LPG;s and the Mutant is vactoral as well.
I read something on muffs where someone said there was some unwritten law about 2 filters being plenty for a 6u instrument. That makes no sense to me in any way but I was wondering if in practice youve noticed this
Old 6th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read something on muffs where someone said there was some unwritten law about 2 filters being plenty for a 6u instrument. That makes no sense to me in any way but I was wondering if in practice youve noticed this
I have 3 filters in 15u - Toppo multi, E440, and Corgasmotron ( which is dual), plus a dual LPG. Those three seem to cover surgical, sweet and screamy for me. Had a boogie in there, but it was the first thing I pulled when I needed space. If you do a lot of west coast style patching, filters start to take a back seat to other things. But it's euro - if you love filters and want to collect 10 different flavors, no reason not to.
Old 6th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
The only law in modular is: There are no laws in modular.

Quote:
If you do a lot of west coast style patching, filters start to take a back seat to other things.
I said this on Muff's the other day, you can use filters in many different ways:

Cleaning signals.
Dirtying signals.
Enhancing a frequency range.
Adding a specific frequency.
Removing a specific frequency.

There's plenty of reasons to have them even if you don't want typical subtractive sounds.

Quote:
But it's euro - if you love filters and want to collect 10 different flavors, no reason not to.
Only 10?

BTW For a Moogy sound I have the AION 904A which is a clone of the original Moog ladder filter. It sounds absolutely gorgeous.
Old 19th December 2014
Here for the gear

Aion modular

have a look here, must be what you are looking for:

www.aion-modular.com !
Attached Images
Euro Modular filters like the Moog ladder?-aion_filter.jpg 
Old 19th December 2014 | Show parent
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

I wish Aion would launch a whole line of modules, with at least VCA, Mixer and ENVs. I like an uniform look Another thing that would make me invest into Eurorack again would be a whole line of analogue Synth Tech modules, from Mr. Schreiber's analogue MOTM designs...
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear
Something about the minimoog in modular doesnt really interest me for some reason. The Aion filter on the other hand - I like it more than my e440..... But really its like saying I prefer driving my Porsche on a weekday but must drive my BWM on the weekends.....
You should wait to you see their (Aions) Osc! Its the same as the ADDAC701 - because its his design..He designs the COTK stuff.
Old 20th December 2014
BMD
Gear Nut

The Boomstar 5089 filter module will probably make it into my case in the near future.
Boomstar Modular - 5089 Filter
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

Yusynth 15V and 12V are pretty fantastic.
Here's a clip comparing them to the Slim Phatty and Minitaur filters.

That Oakley Superladder is the best low pass I've ever heard.
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

and another clip of the YuSynth 12V Minimoog VCF

Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Did anyone end up buying the 5089 eurorack filter?
Old 8th June 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionid View Post
Did anyone end up buying the 5089 eurorack filter?
I still can't find any damn opinions on any of the new SE modular stuff. I want an Aion 904 but nobody has one, so its the AJH or 5089. They are different enough that I can choose one and get the 904 later when available and decide then if both worth keeping.
Old 8th June 2015
Lives for gear

LOL I bought the 5089. It is warm and nice. Sounds like a moog, overdrives nicely.

Seems to nominaly like lower levels than the rest of the eurorack filters so that has to be mentioned. Otherwise nowadays it is my number one used filter because oh that warm.

The only negative is that the useful resonance settings tend to be before 12 o clock. At high resonance tends lose to too much bass. Never owned a mini moog so can't say if that was the usual.

I can do a youtube video really. Just being lazy.
Old 9th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I haven't really heard the SE module but I'm sure it's nice. I have compared the Aion and the AJH:

For me they're both keepers.
Old 28th July 2015
Yusynth for the DIYer. I totally love my Minimoog filter clone. Very cheap to make.
📝 Reply