The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rob Hordijk 24dB Multi-Mode Filter sound clips
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Rob Hordijk 24dB Multi-Mode Filter sound clips

Hi All,

Last month I posted some sound clips of the Hordijk Phaser/Filter module and I promised to post some clips of his new 24dB Multi-Mode Filter module. Here ya go! (It's the center module in the attached photo).

First, a description. It's a very versatile multi-mode filter, in 5U "Dotcom" format, with some unique features. First, the lowpass and highpass modes are both 24dB per octave, which is unusual for a multimode filter (most are 12dB). The bandpass mode is an unusual 6dB Lowpass and 18dB Highpass. I asked Rob about this and he said he did a lot of experiments with different slope combinations and these just sounded best and provided the most useful and versatile combination. I tend to think he knows what he is doing - the thing sounds great!

The next unusual feature is that instead of one input and three outputs (lowpass,highpass,bandpass) like most multimode filters, it has three INPUTS and one mixed mode OUTPUT. The three separate inputs (LP, HP, BP) each have a level control, and the inputs are cascaded, so if you patch a signal into only the lowpass input it actually gets routed to all three circuits and you can then create all sorts of custom filter contours by adjusting the three LP/HP/BP level knobs.

And this scheme also allows you to do some things you cannot do on typical multimode filters - you can patch different signals to the three inputs, which gives you a sort of frequency-dependant crossfading as you sweep the filter!

It also has voltage controllable resonance, a very useful feature. And there is a second frequency modulation input and when there is no signal patched to this input the knob acts as a filter distortion amount control. Again, some very clever and useful stuff.

OK, so here's the first audio clip which is just a simple sequence running while the filter is swept by some random LFOs. Another LFO is randomly sweeping the resonance so you can hear a variety of different resonance settings. The oscs are sent to the LP input (which routes them to all inputs) and I'm manually adjusting the three LP/HP/BP knobs. It starts with just lowpass, then the HP also fades in to create a resonant notch. Then the LP fades out to create a HP response, then the BP fades in and the HP fades out, then back to LP at the end.

I'll post some more unusual examples soon.

Disclaimer - I know Rob and consider him a good friend, but I am not involved in his business in any way and I don't make any money from the sales of any of these modules.
Attached Thumbnails
Rob Hordijk 24dB Multi-Mode Filter sound clips-imgp0010.jpg  
Attached Files

24Fseq3d.wma (2.83 MB, 1316 views)

Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Here's another clip that shows off some of the special tricks this module can do. It has three different signals patched to the lowpass, bandpass, and highpass inputs. One signal is a pulse waveform with some PWM. Another is a sine wave from the same oscillator, with the sine wave sent through a S&TG Wave Folder module before sending it to the Hordijk Filter. The third signal is another oscillator, hard sync'd to the first one, with some hard sync sweep. I love the way the filter creates these smooth morph-ish transitions from one signal to the next as the filter sweeps. And adding more resonance as the clip progresses provides even more sonic variation.

In addition to the cool tricks, I just really like the way this filter sounds overall, like the big punchy bass sound at the end as the cutoff is lowered.thumbsup
Attached Files

24Fseq2a.wma (1.79 MB, 226 views)

Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting Dave!
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

Here's another clip. This one also changes from LP to HP etc. as the sequence plays, but I start turning up the distortion knob and change the waveforms to square waves at about the 30 second mark. You can get a good amout of 'attitude' out of this filter if you want it.
Attached Files

24Fseq1.wma (1.42 MB, 204 views)

Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

.... I just recorded some clips of yet another Hordijk module - the Harmonic Oscillator. It's definitely not your average oscillator. I'll start another thread & post the clips.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

I missed these clips the first time around. That filter sounds great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search