The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rob Hordijk Phaser Filter audio clips
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Rob Hordijk Phaser Filter audio clips

Hi all,

Here are some audio clips of the Rob Hordijk Phaser Filter module. It's a very cool and versatile module that combines a great sounding filter (can be clean & clear or big and bold with some punchy distortion) with a great sounding phase shifter. You can get a LOT of different sounds out of this thing. Of course you can crank up the phaser for high-quality phaser sounds, but you can also dial in just a bit of the phaser and just a bit of self-modulation or distortion to provide all sorts of different filter colors. I found that mixing in just a bit of phaser, with both the phaser and the LPF controlled by the same mod sources gives sort of a warm and fuzzy 'On the Run' EMS filter effect.

These first two audio clips are a basic sequence controlling some detuned oscs through the Phaser Filter. Each clip starts with no phaser, then increases the phaser mix. Lots of live knob turning while the sequencer is running. The oscs change from saws to square waves and the filter distortion gets increased at some points just to let you hear a bit more variety.

This is just the basic stuff, the module can do a lot more than this. I'll post more clips later.

More info is here:

http://wiki.muffwiggler.com/wiki/Rob_Hordijk_Designs
Attached Files

Phaser Filter 1.wma (2.05 MB, 1482 views)

Phaser Filter 2.wma (1.80 MB, 1374 views)

Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

Here's a photo of the three new modules I got. The Phaser Filter module is on the right. The others are the Harmonic Oscillator and the 24dB/octave triple input multimode filter.
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey - Where's my picture? I'll try again....
Attached Thumbnails
Rob Hordijk Phaser Filter audio clips-hordijk-modules-dec-2010a.jpg  
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Another demo. This one shows off some of the various distortion possibilities. The Phaser Filter module has clever switching input jacks and when there is no signal patched to the MOD inputs to the phaser and the filter sections, the audio inputs in those sections gets routed to the mod inputs as well, creating audio-rate self-modulation. There's also a second MOD input to the filter, and the MOD amount knob turns into a second type of distortion control when there is no signal patched to the MOD 2 input. In this demo I'm just adjusting a few knobs while the sequence plays, starting with no distortion and then adding more and changing the distortion type. The audio signal is just a single main saw osc, with a small amount of a second osc tuned up a fifth.
Attached Files

PhFdist1.wma (1.64 MB, 1241 views)

Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

This one has several oscs tuned to a big chord, with the sequencer playing a basic chord pattern. The phaser section & filter section both have 1V/OCT control, but separate LFO, EG & manual modulations. Starts basic, then gets a lot more active as the various mod sources sweep the phaser and filter separately. I love the way this thing sounds!
Attached Files

PhFseq3a.wma (1.77 MB, 1279 views)

Old 30th January 2011
Gear Guru

This sounds absolutely classy.

Could you do a Smallstone-like demo with a string pad, please?
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

It sounds delicious!
thumbsup
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
This sounds absolutely classy.

Could you do a Smallstone-like demo with a string pad, please?
Unfortunately my modular rig still doesn't have any modules that would allow me to patch line-level audio signals from the mixer into the synth. I need a pair of these:

Synthesizers.com* ---* Q118 Instrument Interface

I've tried to hack it by carefully adjusting gains stages and using Signal Processor modules as pre amps, but I still get a somewhat weak / noisy / distorted signal. That's not a fault of the Phaser Filter, I can't send external audio to ANY modules in the synth with decent fidelity. I'm planning to get a third 22-space Dotcom cabinet across the top and those are the first new modules to go in it (along with several other modules I've had for a while and have had to take out of the cabinets due to lack of space).
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Well, you made me curious so I gave it a shot - Here's a simple string pad sound through the Phaser Filter with some delay & chorus effects. You hear the pad with effects but no phaser at the beginning, then slow deep phaser sweeps with high resonance, then faster sweeps with less resonance for a more classic Smallstone sound, then another slow up sweep with high resonance. The sound is a little gritty and noisy due to the mis-matched levels, but it should give you an idea of how the module sounds when processing an external polysynth, and it will only sound better with the right interface.
Attached Files

PhF_Pad1.wma (1.99 MB, 1281 views)

Old 31st January 2011
Gear Guru

Oh, that's just a thing of beauty. Wonderful. thumbsup
Old 31st January 2011
Gear Maniac

From the sound of it, really something special here. A quick look at the features suggests at least the oscillator breaks new ground, but I'm betting it doesn't stop there.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more of Mr. Hordijk's modules.

Thanks for he samples Dave!

Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post
From the sound of it, really something special here. A quick look at the features suggests at least the oscillator breaks new ground, but I'm betting it doesn't stop there.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more of Mr. Hordijk's modules.

Thanks for he samples Dave!
I have made a few audio samples of the other two modules in the photo near the top of this thread (the Harmonic Oscillator and the 24dB Multi-Mode Filter). I'll make a few more samples and start a couple of new threads on those modules soon.
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Well, you made me curious so I gave it a shot - Here's a simple string pad sound through the Phaser Filter with some delay & chorus effects. You hear the pad with effects but no phaser at the beginning, then slow deep phaser sweeps with high resonance, then faster sweeps with less resonance for a more classic Smallstone sound, then another slow up sweep with high resonance. The sound is a little gritty and noisy due to the mis-matched levels, but it should give you an idea of how the module sounds when processing an external polysynth, and it will only sound better with the right interface.
Wow. That was just gorgeous. Great work, sir. thumbsup

Mr. Peck, are you a classically trained musician?
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
Wow. That was just gorgeous. Great work, sir. thumbsup

Mr. Peck, are you a classically trained musician?
Aw shucks, thanks. I have some basic music theory skills, and that will take you pretty far. I highly recommend taking a few theory classes to anyone who wants to write original music. But 'classically' trained? No, unless you count playing synths in lots of metal bands and new wave bands in the L.A. rock scene in the 80's as 'classical'.
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
But 'classically' trained? No, unless you count playing synths in lots of metal bands and new wave bands in the L.A. rock scene in the 80's as 'classical'.
Awesome...thats inspiring. thumbsup
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

I can add that I have the 3 modules in the picture. In addition
I have the Dual Envelope.

All four modules are fantastic. I'm sure the LFO is great as well.
I just don't have the room at the moment to add it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search