The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Clavia Nord modular in the future ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

New Clavia Nord modular in the future ?

Hi,

With Clavia's Nord Modular line being a very popular synth. I wonder why they discontinued their modular line ?

Any hope that Clavia will introduce a new more advanced, and integrated Modular Synth in the future ?
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

My magic eight-ball says, "Unlikely". Yes, it was a very popular model but in a very small world. I love mine - still use NM1 and did not afford the G2.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

I spent a lot of time making presets on my NM1 . This version is like any old modular from e-mu or moog , a classic . Not so great for the actual music but great for your inspiration .
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

I think it would be cool if they had a stab at an analogue
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
LOL. There is another company who used to make fabulous synthesizers, who is now in the business to build a piano. They now trying that for a couple of years.

Gonna tell you, Clavia and Waldorf are getting more and more Korg-ish and/or Roland-ish heh

Back to topic: I don't think there will be a Nord Modular G3 anytime soon. The best you can wish for is a future Nord Lead with some limited modular abilities programmed via computer. The market segment that made these companies big in the past has become less financially interesting for them. There is just a bigger consumer base for the "regular" stuff.
Old 28th March 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
LOL. There is another company who used to make fabulous synthesizers, who is now in the business to build a piano. They now trying that for a couple of years.

The new Waldorf are a bunch of slackers.

The Zarenbourg looks like the Ford Edsel of electric pianos.

It seems Wolfram Franke is the only one there producing anything reliable within a realistic time frame. Too bad it's all soft synths. They should put him in charge of hardware programming as well. That, or get Stefan Stenzel into rehab. heh
Old 28th March 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gonna tell you, Clavia and Waldorf are getting more and more Korg-ish and/or Roland-ish heh
There's a big difference. Clavia doesn't have 1. ridiculous build quality, 2. low quality sound, 3. stuff that's completely uninteresting and the same old, only worse.

And yeah, the demand for complex modular synths is only a fraction of the demand for easy to use knobby synths or pianos, etc.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
There's a big difference. Clavia doesn't have 1. ridiculous build quality, 2. low quality sound, 3. stuff that's completely uninteresting and the same old, only worse.
thumbsup I agree. The current Clavia linup of keyboards are still produced to the highest standards. And they still have equipment that interests me like the C2 and the Electro line. Other than Waldorf's, the Clavia product evolution has made sense so far. Waldorf's company direction seems to me a little uncoordinated right now.
Old 28th March 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
The current Clavia linup of keyboards are still produced to the highest standards. And they still have equipment that interests me like the C2 and the Electro line.
If they did an Electro rack again, I'd grab one in a heartbeat.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Maniac

All I know is I will probably never sell my G2. I think with NI Reaktor around with powerful CPU's these days it will be unlikely another Nord Modular line will be released. I hope I am wrong.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
If they did an Electro rack again, I'd grab one in a heartbeat.
I asked this on the Messe to one of the Clavia people, and it turns out that the Electro racks weren't big sellers. Most of the buyers of the Electro wanted it because of the feel of the keyboard and needing only one single machine if they wanted to play live; it was the package that mattered more than the sounds.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Maniac

You know what would slay? A Reaktor based hardware interface from NI. The G2's interface taught me modular design insofar as to be able to sketch Reaktor ensembles before actually making them. If NI could do something comparable with changing the UI interface to some degree and adding a midi based hardware controller with knobs, that'd be rather useful.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Do we really need more Pianos ?

I think the market is over-saturated with Pianos.

New, exciting, and innovative HW synths should be put t on the endangered species list heh

VST Instruments have played a big role, in what's happening to HW Synths.
Old 28th March 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I asked this on the Messe to one of the Clavia people, and it turns out that the Electro racks weren't big sellers. Most of the buyers of the Electro wanted it because of the feel of the keyboard and needing only one single machine if they wanted to play live; it was the package that mattered more than the sounds.
Bummer. It's all about the Nord sample library for me. Never liked the feel of the keys, and there's no aftertouch. :(
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Guru

Yeah, for some reason they are one of the very few companies to actually know what a Rhodes sounds like heh

I found a pretty satisfying Rhodes in Scarbee's Mark One library, but it's got 12 layers and a ridiculous amount of samples so if you don't want to use a computer for this, you'll have to prune and transfer it yourself to make it fit in one.
Old 29th March 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Yeah, for some reason they are one of the very few companies to actually know what a Rhodes sounds like heh

I found a pretty satisfying Rhodes in Scarbee's Mark One library, but it's got 12 layers and a ridiculous amount of samples so if you don't want to use a computer for this, you'll have to prune and transfer it yourself to make it fit in one.
Any idea how many velocity layers the typical Nord Rhodes has? The file sizes seem small.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Head

from what I've been hearing and what i've seen (like what their recent products have been,) I doubt there will ever be more nord modular type stuff. So who is the company releasing innovative hardware synths now, especially in the digital realm? Anyone at all? Or who is going to be the next big thing? Just curious. I don't think the argument that all this digital modular stuff can be done on a computer makes much sense--Look at the elektron boxes... that could all be done on a computer but people go nuts over them. And I love reaktor but like patching in the g2 even more. Anyway

Seems like hardware modulars are where a lot of the innovation is happening but that form factor is cost prohibitive, and way too messy and complicated for a lot of people.... Waiting to see who steps up and tries to do something as powerful, innovative, and well-thought out as the g2.
Old 29th March 2010
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger288 View Post
Waiting to see who steps up and tries to do something as powerful, innovative, and well-thought out as the g2.
The semi-vaporware Solaris comes to mind.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger288 View Post
Seems like hardware modulars are where a lot of the innovation is happening but that form factor is cost prohibitive, and way too messy and complicated for a lot of people.... Waiting to see who steps up and tries to do something as powerful, innovative, and well-thought out as the g2.
Well, there is the Arturia Origin, but from what I read in that other thread about it being a failure, seems that it's a bit limited compared to a G2.

Seems like the biggest innovation to come along for digital synths lately was in the last couple of Virus OS updates, but nothing in there was really anything 'new', just new to hardware digital synths. I think it's a shame that the limits of digital technology haven't really been exploited but have instead been used to recreate preexisting tech. The DX7 changed a lot about music. The Virus on the other hand just brought the Xpander concept to a different market. I'd love to see some new hardware synths that really push the envelope: 6-Op FM synths with knobs, additive synthesizers that don't need an hour to program a patch, alias synthesis brought to hardware and professionally developed. stuff like that would be awesome!
Old 29th March 2010
Old 29th March 2010
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Hi,

With Clavia's Nord Modular line being a very popular synth. I wonder why they discontinued their modular line ?

Any hope that Clavia will introduce a new more advanced, and integrated Modular Synth in the future ?
Probably because it wasn't a very popular synth. Things like the Nord Lead 2 are likely to have sold a lot more. Unfortunately, it seems like we won't see a new Nord Modular anytime soon.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Im selling a Nord Modular 1 rack if anyones looking to pick one up.
Very cool sounding instruments..
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

I was actually more excited about the Wave, but could not afford it, so I settled on a G2. Somehow get the feeling people are underestimating the musical capabilities of the new one.
Old 23rd July 2012
Here for the gear

:)

probably your add is now obsolete, but what price do you haveve (had) in mind for your nord modular?
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Still dreaming about an Ipad editor for the G1/G2... I'd pay nicely for it. Does anyone know if it can be done?
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear Maniac

I have a some thoughts (to augment the "it would cost too much to develop" argument) about why we most likely will never see another Nord Modular.

1. The Modular G3 would make the Nord Lead obsolete

Think about it...the complete flexibility, the assignable knobs, etc. You could build a massive 5 oscillator polysynth with enough DSP power--with effects! It makes the Lead's architecture look really limited by comparison.

2. Self-competition for market share

The Lead's attractiveness (relative to the Modular) is it's accessibility. The Modular is a much more daunting machine, so already you are looking at a niche market. However, they are similar enough (price, footprint, etc.) to create competition between each other. Having two products competing for the same customers is not good business practice.

3. It is no longer the only digital modular device on the market

Ok, so the Origin is not quite the smash hit Arturia was hoping for, but again: this is a niche market. Any competition makes that pie slice slimmer. Furthermore, I feel it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that most guys who want a digital modular synth would use softsynths anyway.

IMHO and all that

Edit to add that I have a Modular G1, so I'm a bit biased.
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_kozmoz View Post
I have a some thoughts (to augment the "it would cost too much to develop" argument) about why we most likely will never see another Nord Modular.

1. The Modular G3 would make the Nord Lead obsolete

Think about it...the complete flexibility, the assignable knobs, etc. You could build a massive 5 oscillator polysynth with enough DSP power--with effects! It makes the Lead's architecture look really limited by comparison.

2. Self-competition for market share

The Lead's attractiveness (relative to the Modular) is it's accessibility. The Modular is a much more daunting machine, so already you are looking at a niche market. However, they are similar enough (price, footprint, etc.) to create competition between each other. Having two products competing for the same customers is not good business practice.

3. It is no longer the only digital modular device on the market

Ok, so the Origin is not quite the smash hit Arturia was hoping for, but again: this is a niche market. Any competition makes that pie slice slimmer. Furthermore, I feel it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that most guys who want a digital modular synth would use softsynths anyway.

IMHO and all that

Edit to add that I have a Modular G1, so I'm a bit biased.

I disagree with point 1.
Or better said... I agree with it, but I think it was like that with the previous modulars, and they didn't sell as well as the Leads...

I have a G2 and a Lead 3 and I can say I really like both.
The simplicity of the Lead 3 is definitely an attractive and sometimes that is much better than a lot of complexity.

So I don't think they are much of a competition...
The Leads are about realtime control and simplicity, while the Modulars are more about coming up with complex sounds, despite they also allow for simplicity.

With the G2 you have quite some control (much better than the original) but I still think they should have put many more pages available in order to control all the parameters you could want.
For instance, that would be particularly good when using sequencers, as I have to use 4 patches for 16 channels if I want to control everything in realtime, despite I consume less than 5% of the allowed DSP power per patch...
But even then, it wouldn't be as simple as the Leads...

I also don't think the Origin is such a big competition, at least not bigger than the software / hardware hybrids like the Kyma and Creamware boards that were available when the G2 was still new.
If I remember correctly, the Origin has a quite low limit on the number of each module you can have in a patch, which doesn't sound too good for me...
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui View Post
I disagree with point 1.
Or better said... I agree with it, but I think it was like that with the previous modulars, and they didn't sell as well as the Leads...
+1 Agreeing on your disagreeing! heh

The 1st Nord Modular already made the Lead 1 and 2 obsolete technically speaking. The same thing can be said about the G2 and NL3. These are apple and oranges. There are a lot more users for NL series than for the Modular/G2. Simplicity is key there. For someone who wants to dig deeper into synthesis, the Modular/G2 is your ticket. But building your synth from ground up is not everyones forte.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search