The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Clavia Nord modular in the future ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui View Post
I disagree with point 1.
Or better said... I agree with it, but I think it was like that with the previous modulars, and they didn't sell as well as the Leads...

I have a G2 and a Lead 3 and I can say I really like both.
The simplicity of the Lead 3 is definitely an attractive and sometimes that is much better than a lot of complexity.

So I don't think they are much of a competition...
The Leads are about realtime control and simplicity, while the Modulars are more about coming up with complex sounds, despite they also allow for simplicity.

With the G2 you have quite some control (much better than the original) but I still think they should have put many more pages available in order to control all the parameters you could want.
For instance, that would be particularly good when using sequencers, as I have to use 4 patches for 16 channels if I want to control everything in realtime, despite I consume less than 5% of the allowed DSP power per patch...
But even then, it wouldn't be as simple as the Leads...

I also don't think the Origin is such a big competition, at least not bigger than the software / hardware hybrids like the Kyma and Creamware boards that were available when the G2 was still new.
If I remember correctly, the Origin has a quite low limit on the number of each module you can have in a patch, which doesn't sound too good for me...
Fair enough. I would say that the interface makes a huge difference here. I was thinking that a hypothetical NM G3 would further improve the interface/control scheme, like the big difference in "usability" of the G1 vs the G2.

Again, I might just have a different view or opinion on the matter. Just some thought experiments/prognostication with no particular purpose or agenda.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Addict

I have heard that the original nord modular programmers are no longer part of Clavia/Nord. I wonder where they are now?
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

as we've already seen (and has already been said), the Nord Modular doesn't quite "replace" the Nord Lead for most people. it probably could and should, but some people just want the direct interface. i'm not sure why exactly, as the G2 is or can be pretty close to the interface of the NL3.

implying that the Arturia Origin is even anywhere close to the Nord Modular is ridiculous, beyond the most basic sense. the NM can do probably a million things that you could never do with the Origin...

..which brings up a major point. people never really did, and still really don't, understand what the NM (G2 especially) is capable of. it must be the most misunderstood and under-appreciated synthesizer ever produced. at least partial blame goes to Clavia for not marketing it correctly, and for twice letting it drown to the point that they discontinued production and support. they say that it didn't sell very well, but they did almost nothing to make people aware of its unique features. probably the most versatile synth ever made and they let it rot on the vine. twice.

i've heard mixed reports of whether most everyone involved with the NM has since left Clavia. i'm willing to believe they have left and that this is a major factor in the lack of support and development.

besides maybe the Creamware Scope Modular, the NM is the most friendly "software" modular synth ever made. it's an absolute breeze compared to something like Reaktor and in another world from stuff like Max/MSP and Kyma. there's nothing more intuitive out there.

i would be completely happy with a software-only G2 (the Demo doesn't quite cut it) or refined G3. in fact, it is one of my greatest wishes.

i hate Clavia, they've completely lost it.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i would be completely happy with a software-only G2
What about Sonigen ? Probably not fully there yet, but getting there.

And yes, a lot easier than Reaktor.
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
What about Sonigen ?
unfortunately, no.

i was excited when i first saw it, but i wasn't impressed with the sound or the way it works (can't remember specifics, and it's long been deleted). it looks like the NM, but doesn't sound or feel like it.

i've come up with stuff on the G2 that i can't replicate with anything else that i've tried. granted, i haven't tried that hard, but the results are very different off the bat. even using Chet Singer's amazing 'Ampere' module set for Reaktor (based off the NM) to string up a similar patch to those i've done on the G2, the results were way off. it's hard to make other synths feed back on themselves like the G2 can.

i'd like to try seeing what's possible with Zebra, but it looks so awkward. skimming through the manual didn't make it seem very inviting either.

one thing i used to do a lot on the G2 was to play a game i liked to call "leave no hole unfilled" (err... something like that). i'd lay out a number of modules and just get patching up as much as i could, sometimes in ways that don't "make sense". using audio outs to drive LFO rates, which feed back into whatever else and so on. i'd play around with that for a bit, and then pull up the random patch generator and go from there.

[i'm going to have to cut this short, maybe i'll go into it more later...]
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Wow ! it's been more than two years since I posted this topic

Time flies, but .. .Clavia has not delivered anything like a new G3 Modular. Sadly they are going in a direction that I have no interest in. (electric Pianos)

Do you think it would be feasible for Clavia to put out a virtual G3 Modular ?

Given todays's computers are quite capable, wouldn't this be a great alternative to their HW G2 Modular, which has been discontinued (sadly) ? I would love to have a Clavia G3 Modular VST (hopefully it will be 64-bit), to create sophisticated synth sounds , effects, and beyond.

Will Clavia do it ? or will another company offer something of this nature ?

So far I don't think it has materialized. (Oh well, and if it has ... I haven't heard about it).

I wonder if we will see something like this in 2012 ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Wind View Post
I have heard that the original nord modular programmers are no longer part of Clavia/Nord. I wonder where they are now?
They could be doing something completely different... Unfortunately. The developer behind the classic Alesis ION/Micron (Bret Victor) had almost no experience in sound synthesis, he made one of the best VA synths ever existed and...he disappeared back to where he came from...It's sad that companies work with genious people for so little time.

Nord Lead 3 programmers are also back to where they came from...I don't like that constant change inside the structure of a company...it leads me to believe that the company isn't capable of producing something radically new because they don't even have people who can trust them inside there. Nord looks like they do "remixes" of their old code in new gear...nothing completely new. The boring NL2x and its "wavetable" mutation, the Wave, which is also a very limited instrument...
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

I'm thinking of selling my NM rack.. It's been collecting dust for far too long. Despite the great sound and features, the most I ever used it was as four simple (mono)synths.. I love the idea of a modular synth, but.. I need keys, knobs and all that jazz. Maybe I should have gotten the keyboard version? Fiddling around the computer is just not for me; it's not fun! But with the prices I've seen, maybe there would still be more worth in keeping it.

Anyway, I would be REALLY surprised if there was a new version in the works. Clavia/Nord make more money with the Electro, Stage and Piano -lines. The Nord Drum was however a nice little surprise! Sounded like the Modular RND was put into good use there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz App
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

I'm still dreaming off a new micro modular. So tiny yet so powerfull.
Imo, Clavia was way ahead of his time with the Nord Modular range.
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Hi,

With Clavia's Nord Modular line being a very popular synth. I wonder why they discontinued their modular line ?

Any hope that Clavia will introduce a new more advanced, and integrated Modular Synth in the future ?
the nord modulars was very ahead of their time.. hope clavia reconsiders their position one day.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Nut

I don't mind if there is never a G3 ( I have the G1) but I wish they'd upgrade the software to work easily on new OS's. I'd happily pay $50 for this. Use Xp on my music machine to use the Nord but would like to use Windows 7.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Addict

I recently ran across this website. This fellow is making one Nord Modular patch/recording per day for a year. He is on Day 205 now. Go man go!

A Sound A Day For A Year, Using My Nord Modular.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony smyth View Post
I don't mind if there is never a G3 ( I have the G1) but I wish they'd upgrade the software to work easily on new OS's. I'd happily pay $50 for this. Use Xp on my music machine to use the Nord but would like to use Windows 7.
No problem using G1 with Windows 7 here.
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony smyth View Post
i just recently downgraded to xp cause you cant do serious audio editing on windows 7, well it's not serious for me as the gui is lagging behind my actions alot...
Old 25th July 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Clavia has not delivered anything like a new G3 Modular.
This was discussed at electro-music. Wout there has some connection with people at Clavia. From memory, it was stated that the modulars were not big earners. A lot of users blame the presets and the marketing.

Quote:
I would love to have a Clavia G3 Modular VST
Clavia have previously stated they have no interest in VST development.

Again, from memory, I think the original developers of the Lead 1 went to (started?) Propellerhead. Memory is hazy on this one, as it was a while ago.
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Addict

Reckon there's enough G1 users to start a pch share thread?
Old 25th July 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

best patch sharing archive is over @ electro-music. it's massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica View Post
Reckon there's enough G1 users to start a pch share thread?
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
as we've already seen (and has already been said), the Nord Modular doesn't quite "replace" the Nord Lead for most people. it probably could and should, but some people just want the direct interface. i'm not sure why exactly, as the G2 is or can be pretty close to the interface of the NL3.

implying that the Arturia Origin is even anywhere close to the Nord Modular is ridiculous, beyond the most basic sense. the NM can do probably a million things that you could never do with the Origin...

..which brings up a major point. people never really did, and still really don't, understand what the NM (G2 especially) is capable of. it must be the most misunderstood and under-appreciated synthesizer ever produced. at least partial blame goes to Clavia for not marketing it correctly, and for twice letting it drown to the point that they discontinued production and support. they say that it didn't sell very well, but they did almost nothing to make people aware of its unique features. probably the most versatile synth ever made and they let it rot on the vine. twice.

i've heard mixed reports of whether most everyone involved with the NM has since left Clavia. i'm willing to believe they have left and that this is a major factor in the lack of support and development.

besides maybe the Creamware Scope Modular, the NM is the most friendly "software" modular synth ever made. it's an absolute breeze compared to something like Reaktor and in another world from stuff like Max/MSP and Kyma. there's nothing more intuitive out there.

i would be completely happy with a software-only G2 (the Demo doesn't quite cut it) or refined G3. in fact, it is one of my greatest wishes.

i hate Clavia, they've completely lost it.
Totally agree with you
Still have a nord mod.1 rack here together with reaktor /both going strong
Clavia did loose it , releasing only stage pianos and hammonds etc , I don't care if they sound good or not .
i want a new NORD MOD.g3
Old 11th September 2012
RPA
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogholic View Post
No problem using G1 with Windows 7 here.
Indeed. I'm using G1 v3.03 (latest version if I'm not mistaken) with W7 64bit without any problems. The trick here is to find proper MIDI interface which don't loose contact with PC. From my E-MU, ECHO and ESI only last two works.
Old 11th September 2012
this last week I bought a 400MHz G3 iMac (in matching red) as a dedicated OS9 editor to bring my Nord Modular keyboard out of retirement. I'm still waiting on the MIDIsport 4x4, but it's great having an OS9 machine again, aside from loading up my old versions of Metasynth, MAX/MSP, M, etc. I found my Blizzard disks and have enjoyed revisiting Starcraft and Diablo II in the mean time.

over the last several years (and as recently as this last month) I've made a few half-hearted attempts at selling the NM, but each time I end up plugging it in and playing around with it a bit and remember how much I enjoy it.

anyway, my experience as one of the original G1 owners (especially one that is a Mac user) hasn't left me with much of a desire to purchase anything else from Clavia. That aside, the Modulars were never great sellers and these days with present processing power and access to much better MIDI controllers I just don't see the point. Especially when there are options out there like Aalto from Madrona Labs. I for one would much prefer their Soundplane as a controller than yet another generic keyboard with some knobs, even if it's red
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165099 View Post
this last week I bought a 400MHz G3 iMac (in matching red) as a dedicated OS9 editor to bring my Nord Modular keyboard out of retirement. I'm still waiting on the MIDIsport 4x4, but it's great having an OS9 machine again, aside from loading up my old versions of Metasynth, MAX/MSP, M, etc. I found my Blizzard disks and have enjoyed revisiting Starcraft and Diablo II in the mean time.
If it's still available, Cellsynth was a great os9 app and worth picking up.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

Lets send a collection bag around synth forums to encourage them to make G3.

The previous ones didn't apparently sell that much, but they also were far ahead their time. The times have changed, and I think that modular would fare a little better today.

At least it would be magnificent flag ship among synths to keep the Clavias Nord flag high and it would support their line up in case if the Electro/Stage -lines start coughing some day.

Its a lot of work, BUT then again, its also a humongous amount of work for a small company to not make use of! They have a lot of useful experience and assets, and its a sin to not use them. Mere samplesupport from Wave would make it a synth, that would do it all. Perhaps even iPad editor.

Perhaps they could start it as a Kickstarter project?

I am super desperate for a digital modular, but used G2s have been able to maintain their prices so high, that I don't have guts to buy one in a fear, that G3 would be introduced in next Namm.

Please Clavia. Nord Modular G3 is my most pious synth prayer!
Old 11th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica View Post
If it's still available, Cellsynth was a great os9 app and worth picking up.
thanks for mentioning Cellsynth, I remember that program but never got to try it. I'll look into it but I doubt it's still available.. it's too bad that these abandoned programs are still covered by copyright, a site that made old OS9 apps available would be great (feel free to PM me if you know of one)
EDIT: well, Cellsynth at least appears to still be available, although it is shareware with a $95 registration fee which seems a bit excessive all these years later
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
... The previous ones didn't apparently sell that much, but they also were far ahead their time. The times have changed, and I think that modular would fare a little better today...
it isn't going to happen. The originals were great and I'm sure they will be remembered as classics and harbingers, but you're right.. times have changed. Now more than ever it is easier and "affordable" to build a real modular synth. Also, much of the appeal of modulars is the very hands on experience and it is because of this that they will ever be popular as they are the opposite of working with a computer. Also, external DSP processing is rapidly becoming completely unnecessary. These are two really big strikes against the Nord Modular.

for a moment let's pretend a new G3 Nord Modular comes out. You will probably want at least a comparable interface to the G2 and that plus development costs and you're probably near the $2000-2500 range give or take, especially if this is going to be a "flagship" product. What really is that $2000 buying you? and why would anyone want to spend it?

the Nord Modular is competing on two fronts, on one side against software modulars like Reaktor or even MAX/MSP and on the other side, against real modulars. Really the only place the Nord wins is against a regular virtual analog synth and even then, the overwhelming majority of people just don't want to mess with chaining modules together. Most people can't even be bothered to program their own sounds and go beyond the factory presets.

and thus, Clavia now sells electric pianos and organs. Something like Arturia's Origin is probably the closest you're going to get and I can't imagine them keeping it on the market for too much longer.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

I am surely going to build an analog modular wall some day, but just as surely I am never going to take it with me anywhere.

I also would love to build patches, that I can recall in an instant and play polyphonically.

I don't like to work with Windows in an concert. I like hardware synths.

And iPad is very hands on.

2000-3000 moneys for a digital synth is fine by many.

Nord Lead 4 would be nice too, but with Modular you could build it and many other synths as well;

ergo, if any digital synth is ok, Nord Modular is even more ok.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
I am super desperate for a digital modular, but used G2s have been able to maintain their parices so high, that I don't have guts to buy one in a fear, that G3 would be introduced in next Namm.
I had a similar fear, but decided to go for it and bought a G2 at the end of the production run. I think the risk of buying a G2 only to have a G3 come out shortly after was MUCH greater then than it is now. Obviously I have no regrets that decision.

If I was you I'd put the fear of Nord releasing a G3 behind you and get a used G2. It is by far my favorite digital modular. What it lacks in sound and capability compared to Reaktor/Max/Kyma it more than makes up for in terms of being easy and FUN to use.

If the G3 is released (which at this point seems about as likely as Roland releasing a new $5000 analog polysynth), your G2 won't likely depreciate much. If anything there will be more people looking to scoop up a G2 from someone upgrading to a G3.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

As a proud G1 keyboard owner, I would still love it equally without the flexible architecture. THE SOUND!!! It's becoming my signature. I couldn't live without it. My first advance will be spent on at least 2 backups
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Head
Found this thread, I know it's old. I've been trying hard to find a G2. I had a NM G1 Rack and Micro back in the day. I have long since sold it off, along with all my physical gear I had from that era (what a dark time). I've recently tried all kinds of gear that would satiate my desires, I even have a full eurorack modular now.

I've also been playing a lot with the Axoloti. It's a development board that is somewhat similar in design and operation as the NM. It's also open source, so many people are making awesome modules for this platform.

But alas, the main reason I want a G2 back is the sound. Oh the sound! Nothing sounds like it. Especially its filters! They had this sharp digital edge, I think they were modeled after the Lead 1 or Lead 2 filters. Makes me think I should look or try to find a cheap NL.

Anyone want to part with their G2? Or does anyone have opinions on how to get the NM filter sounds?
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

If they made a new Nord Modular that used an FPGA inside it would be so so so cool.

Then it would more accurately emulate analog modules. FPGAs have a certain number of logic gates, like thousands. All the software would have to do is give you a "budget" of how many free gates there are and then let you keep adding to it until you run out of room.

I would buy that in a heartbeat. Especially if it was based off of the Nord Lead A1 engine. I would actually like to see it in a groovebox format, where you can make crazy sequences and CV-sequenced stuff. Have an FPGA handling all the synthesis and a regular processor running the sequencer and control interface. So no matter what you build you will have a killer 4-track sequencer on top of it. (Give each track Note and CV1 and CV2). It would be an Elektron killer.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

5 years ago I'd see g2s fairly regularly, but they've become rare. I'm glad I kept my micro and NM1, because even they are getting hard to find.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,

It has been more than Six Years since I posted this topic ! surely time flies, and there has not been a Clavia Modular G3 in sight

I don't expect to see any New Nord Modular Synth anytime in the future.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search