The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Funky Folktek floating case idea
Old 14th September 2020
Funky Folktek floating case idea

Any of you have any Folktek modules?

Folktek is some really cool stuff. Once you get used to the mini jumper wires, unusual layouts, direct component level tweak-ability and so on.
My start was the first two eurorack modules they put out and then added Mescaline soon after. But then I found that I did not use them with other eurorack modules as much. So I had to come up with a cool case, just for them.

Folktek are barebones in physical make up. So the first thing I noticed was they were very light weight. Mescaline is essentially three PCB's. Once I realized that weight would not be a problem, I thought 'as flexible and mobile, as I possible could get it'. I also wanted direct and easy access to the backside, as Folktek encourages tweaking the backside trimmers too!

Since the explosion in podcasting, 'floating' mic arms are pretty cheap and will usually hold 4-5 lbs. Custom cut up a thin .050 aluminum bracket. added 8 jacks with a 9pin serial cable breakout box for CV and I/O and I was good to go.

I set it up so I can sit on the couch and move the arm so I can play away, then I can move it to join the others.
What do you think? Could you see a floating rack in your future?

Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Betcha you could sell those as interactive wall art for multiple x the build cost.
Old 14th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Betcha you could sell those as interactive wall art for multiple x the build cost.
It's a pretty crazy wall of sound you can get from these. Enough to rock this joint. Nice and warm rubbery sounds, like grunge meets brass section. It really is it's own sound.

I keep adding little breadboards to it to. It's fun to just play with different types of Vactrols. This design makes it sooooo easy to 'test' and try different components

Folktek only uses +12V so it's very simple to power, compared to normal euro module power requirements.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Guru

That's a pretty cool idea. I've got a version 1 Mescaline and a Bastl Kastle to integrate with it. I've thought about racking it up once I get the extra HP in the cases, but I just don't see myself actually integrating with it because of those funky leads. The reverb is awesome though, so I may still do it anyway. I never thought of using Folktek's other modules to integrate with. Guess I'll have to scoop those up soon since they've both been replaced by version 2's with a different patching system.

I kinda hated Mescaline when I first got it, but I've learned to love it for precisely the reason that I disliked it: There are no happy accidents with Mescaline. Everything you do when putting together a patch has to be deliberate, especially since it's possible to blow the whole thing up by mixing up power and CV patchpoints. It's a very unique approach compared to other experiences in modular, so it makes sense to keep it as its own instrument. Yet I'm still comfortably perched on the fence as to whether to rack it or not.
Old 14th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It's a very unique approach compared to other experiences in modular, so it makes sense to keep it as its own instrument. Yet I'm still comfortably perched on the fence as to whether to rack it or not.
Yep, that is where I was before I came up with this solution. I hope now that I have it 'semi' isolated to itself that I can focus more on it, rather than trying to integrate it into the rest of my setup.
📝 Reply